2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously thiers a spot up for grabs next week, I wanna c a friggen balls to wall hip n shoulder through the wall rip roaring friggen mcflurry of hammerfistin royal eagle wannabes to a make a big statement, I wanna play for freo football club! Come get some!!!:fire:sorry I'm pretty pumped for this season

I see Cox is CHF. I don't know much about him but he must have made a good impression to be named in our JLT squads. Can training watchers give me there opinions on this player?? Thanks

A lot training watchers say his kicking is deplorable so hopefully he can get that together...

I see Cox is CHF. I don't know much about him but he must have made a good impression to be named in our JLT squads. Can training watchers give me there opinions on this player?? Thanks
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nd-pick-41-brennan-cox.1160079/ - has a write up and some vision of him pre-draft.

The knocks on his kicking were more about his ball drop from memory. It's a little awkward but he gets the ball where he wants it to go most of the time. He was U18s AA CHB so a lot of the footage is of him in defence but he was also a pretty good forward (and played ruck as well due to his size) in juniors. Bargain at pick #41.

Cox's highlights tape reminded me of James Frawley. Hopefully he does better as a forward than him.

If he could be a lot more like Pav that would be great ;)

Cox's highlights tape reminded me of James Frawley. Hopefully he does better as a forward than him.

If he could be a lot more like Pav that would be great ;)
He kicked 19 goals in 9 games in SANFL Reserves and he kicked 3 in the Peel scratchie a few weeks ago so I'm confident he'll be able to play at either end. Although we can always switch our two rowers if necessary - Logue back/Cox fwd or Cox back/Logue fwd.

Certainly a lot to like.The mechanics of his kicking are sound and not much adjustment needed,as you say ball drop a bit high but no biggy.Peripheral awareness,very light on his feet with good evasiveness for a big'un,looks decent below his knees,terrific intercept mark,decision making looks bright,decent in the ruck....etcetc.I know it's a highlights package but it's all there imho.

A
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nd-pick-41-brennan-cox.1160079/ - has a write up and some vision of him pre-draft.

The knocks on his kicking were more about his ball drop from memory. It's a little awkward but he gets the ball where he wants it to go most of the time. He was U18s AA CHB so a lot of the footage is of him in defence but he was also a pretty good forward (and played ruck as well due to his size) in juniors. Bargain at pick #41.
A bargain at 41 or is thier a reason why he slipt....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bargain at 41 or is there a reason why he slipped....
Not sure. I did think the South Australians were incredibly under-rated going in to the draft though. I still can't believe Sam Walker (who would be one of Brennan's mates) didn't even get drafted at all - hope he tries again this year as a mature ager.

Luke Ryan lasting to #66 didn't make any sense to me either. Really annoyed he's not playing tonight because I am very keen to see how he goes for Peel.

28 this year, doesn't really fit our age profile. Only 193cm so not enough to be a POD over either McCarthy or Kersten and I don't think he was going to leave the state
Better than Taberner could play 5 or 6 years while we contend again. Same height as McCarthy and taller than Kersten. Plus would of cost bugger all

Better than Taberner could play 5 or 6 years while we contend again. Same height as McCarthy and taller than Kersten. Plus would of cost bugger all
That's open to debate. As for cost us bugger all we would have had to use pick 21 in the rookie draft which may have lost us Strnadica who is a better long term prospect in a role fwd/ruc we are paper thin in.

Gave Brady Grey a big tick.Mark Duffield asked about him playing a Puopolo style game!
Heard that. See this would be an opportunity for RTB to do something left field. Promote Grey and tell him if he kicks a couple and buries the heads of as many Geelong defenders in the dirt as he can he'll get another gig.
As opposed to just giving Crozier or Suban a gig and letting Grey languish on the rookie list and delisting him this year instead of last year.
Had me scratching my head how we never even gave Menagola a chance, whats the point?

The colts have started well.

L. Mitchell 55 DT points in the first quarter!
Great to see the Peel colts doing well. Aaron Naughton (194cm) is one to keep an eye on - should be 1st/2nd round selection at this year's draft if he has a good season.

Last edited:
As opposed to just giving Crozier or Suban a gig and letting Grey languish on the rookie list and delisting him this year instead of last year.
Had me scratching my head how we never even gave Menagola a chance, whats the point?

Don't think there's anyway his delisting would be as disingenuous as that.
More a message about the number of opportunities the club feels it can afford to offer.
I would guess his distribution by foot would be issue number 1.
If Brady has another big game tonight and the others are subdued I'd be surprised if an elevation is not discussed.
Particularly if they get Cam to play him predominantly as a small forward.I know he's got the attitude and hope he has the speed and endurance to fill the role Ballas has vacated.
People have said his kicking is hugely improved.
I like Brady enormously and hope he has a great career with us.

I watched Menegola at Peel and thought his kicking was awful.He then started improving,copped a knee injury from memory and his delisting didn't surprise me.
Neither did Geelong giving him another go.
If Geelong can find a spot for him as a tagger or wherever,well and good.Don't think he fits our list needs.
Without being insulting to him because I really admire his endeavour, I don't think he has much more improvement in him and don't foresee a long AFL career.
He'd be fringe 25-30 on a lot of lists with his limited skill set but all the best to him.
He has proved better judges than me wrong and you can guarantee he will wring every drop of improvement out of himself.
Already been on 3 lists and done 2 knees.He's resilient!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back