Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would be dissapointed if we let Biggs go. Has a place in the best 22 with Murph, Boyd gone. Hell if JJ walks his even more important.
tbh his form in the vfl was above avg for a bit, pick and choose when to play defence and didn't have the run off half back that locked in him last year

He won our goalkicking award in his first year with us
Not only that but his hard running really opened up our forward line and we look so much more potent with him in.
Would be dissapointed if we let Biggs go. Has a place in the best 22 with Murph, Boyd gone. Hell if JJ walks his even more important.
Who said anything about letting Biggs go?

Dal is still yet to draft a gun KP
Adams may be his first, eventually

He has shown much better signs this year than last year imo. He was excellent against Hawkins last week and played the high ball much better I thought on him, whereas KPFs like Waite were dominating him last year.

He has also looked good up forward and leads into space well inside 50.

Hopefully one of these kids he picked last year make it though.

My understanding of where our draft position has been over the past few years is that not many high quality KPP's were available when we had out pick. Ben Brown is one that we could have picked.

Harris Andrews, Stratton, Carlisle, the McGoverns, etc

Adams may be his first, eventually

He has shown much better signs this year than last year imo. He was excellent against Hawkins last week and played the high ball much better I thought on him, whereas KPFs like Waite were dominating him last year.

He has also looked good up forward and leads into space well inside 50.

Hopefully one of these kids he picked last year make it though.

Yep Adams could be one - hope he stays. Interesting to see the latest batch come on.

Mitch isn't a key forward?

That's a handful of players out of thousands of choices, so you proved his point

and if we are talking about Hawthorn Stratton - he is not a KPD - and how long ago was he drafted anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch isn't a key forward?

That's a handful of players out of thousands of choices, so you proved his point

Stratton is a third tall, M McGovern is a forward, Andrews was an academy pick.

So in terms of genuine KP players, Dalrymple has only missed out on Carlisle (who is a giant douche) and J McGovern. Not bad really.

The reality is gun talls are found early in the draft.

Stratton was 2009, Andrews was an academy player & they matched a bid at pick 35, our second round picks were 26/27
They'd have matched it.

09 - we missed out on Carlisle, Gunston, Stratton and S Reid to name a few (you could throw in Astbury, Casboult, Griffiths and Podsiadly if you want)

10 - We missed T McDonald and McGovern

11 - We missed S Rowe

After that we've missed Brown, O McDonald, and Andrews (who went @ 61). Granted its been thin after 2012. Obviously, 09 was a bit tragic...

Good KPs are pretty much always avalailable its just that Dal hasn't yet recruited one. Not complaining mind you he built a flag winning list. But I don't agree with saying Dal is infallible when he is yet to recruit a good young KP (even Adams who looks most likely was mature age). Who knows, maybe its been a deliberate strategy, which I could understand as its far easier to predict the trajectory of a small (although Tippy, Merrett and Fantasia look fantastic late picks by the scourge of the trade period.)

Stratton is a third tall, M McGovern is a forward, Andrews was an academy pick.

So in terms of genuine KP players, Dalrymple has only missed out on Carlisle (who is a giant douche) and J McGovern. Not bad really.

The reality is gun talls are found early in the draft.

People crying about us passing on chasing Carlisle is simply because he's a gigantic *******. Like we bang on about footballers not generally being the brightest types but Carlisle is a moron and a dickhead based on anyone who has met him as said.

Andrews was bid at pick 35 by North
Brisbane just took him with 61
We did bid on Moore that year, I'd have loved Andrews but Brisbane were definitely going to grab him

We don't have much patience when it comes to key position players anyway, maybe we already have one on the list and you've got to give him a pass if Adams is a good KPP if you're including old man Podsiadly on that list..

Andrews was bid at pick 35 by North
Brisbane just took him with 61
We did bid on Moore that year, I'd have loved Andrews but Brisbane were definitely going to grab him

We don't have much patience when it comes to key position players anyway, maybe we already have one on the list and you've got to give him a pass if Adams is a good KPP if you're including old man Podsiadly on that list..

Mate he's got a pass. He helped win a flag! Just a small point and something I'd like to see before saying he is an out and out gun recruiter. But granted take out 09 and talls have been thin at our picks.

This draft has heaps of talls. Judge Dal on IF he misses several this year. There are also some fast elite mids which is a huge need too. Both are hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09 - we missed out on Carlisle, Gunston, Stratton and S Reid to name a few (you could throw in Astbury, Casboult, Griffiths and Podsiadly if you want)

10 - We missed T McDonald and McGovern

11 - We missed S Rowe

After that we've missed Brown, O McDonald, and Andrews (who went @ 61). Granted its been thin after 2012. Obviously, 09 was a bit tragic...

Good KPs are pretty much always avalailable its just that Dal hasn't yet recruited one. Not complaining mind you he built a flag winning list. But I don't agree with saying Dal is infallible when he is yet to recruit a good young KP (even Adams who looks most likely was mature age). Who knows, maybe its been a deliberate strategy, which I could understand as its far easier to predict the trajectory of a small (although Tippy, Merrett and Fantasia look fantastic late picks by the scourge of the trade period.)
Who would you have passed over that we drafted?

2009 was his part time nightmare year, since then he's batting well above AFL average for nailing picks. 2010 he nailed, 2011 he took Talia who looked ok for a while but in hindsight Rowe was taken after this pick and before Dickson, 2012 perhaps Hrovat and reach for Stewart/O'Brien although neither have completely sold me, 2013 it was Fuller for Brown which has been discussed ad nauseum, 2014 we went short except for premiership CHF Zaine Cordy (and traded for Boyd), 2015 is too early to tell although Adams looks good and Collins has question marks.

In hindsight there's one terrible year and one glaring failure after than, and every other pick has been decent to outstanding compared to the alternatives.

Mate he's got a pass. He helped win a flag! Just a small point and something I'd like to see before saying he is an out and out gun recruiter. But granted take out 09 and talls have been thin at our picks.
Yeah

But you left out Fletcher Roberts out of it :p

The guy has played as our KPD in our drought breaking premiership

A
Adams, Hamling, Roberts, Cordy- why are we even having this discussion. Then there's English and Young both looking good. Who apart from Brisbane have so many good young tall defenders

Who would you have passed over that we drafted?

2009 was his part time nightmare year, since then he's batting well above AFL average for nailing picks. 2010 he nailed, 2011 he took Talia who looked ok for a while but in hindsight Rowe was taken after this pick and before Dickson, 2012 perhaps Hrovat and reach for Stewart/O'Brien although neither have completely sold me, 2013 it was Fuller for Brown which has been discussed ad nauseum, 2014 we went short except for premiership CHF Zaine Cordy (and traded for Boyd), 2015 is too early to tell although Adams looks good and Collins has question marks.

In hindsight there's one terrible year and one glaring failure after than, and every other pick has been decent to outstanding compared to the alternatives.

Matt Fuller for Ben brown /endthread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back