Movies & TV The Hangar Game of Thrones Thread **SEASON 8 SPOILERS**

Remove this Banner Ad

Did watch, have seen :heart:_:heart:

Felt a bit like a pilot episode, there was a lot to get through in terms of set-up for the rest of the season, who is where and what their plans are. Production values are as awesome as ever though :grinning: first scene is awesome :smilecat: Sunshine and happiness :smileycat: Except not quite because winter has come :anguished:

Do I need to use spoiler tags or is it fair game in here after an ep has aired?
There's a spoiler tag in the thread title, so it's fair game. If people don't want spoilers, don't open the thread. I think it's probably fair to use spoiler tags for book plot that is ahead of the tv show (R+L=J in past seasons) but the show is ahead now so there's little reason for it.

Ep was alright, put people where they needed to be but they really need to keep the pace up for the rest of the season. I think my favourite part was Sansa telling John not to be a huge dolt like Ned and Rob, it's about time someone pointed that out.
Yep. And the bit to Brienne about "why is Littlefinger still here? We need his men, I know what he wants" -- she's definitely playing him. As much as she disagrees with and wants to influence Jon, she's ultimately on Team Sansa Stark.

That video I posted last night talks about Littlefinger playing Cersei off in the background, which is interesting if true. In the books he definitely would be, but the over-simplified LF of the show I'm not so sure about. Does he want Cat (with Sansa as proxy), or the Iron Throne (with Sansa as pawn)?

Yeah that first scene was amazing.

Honestly though that Ed Sheeran cameo felt cringe worthy to me.

I was certain that was Stannis in Oldtown. I had forgotten about Jorah of House Friendzone.

The entry to Dragonstone was amazing. The opening scene was great. Felt a lot of the other stuff was really forced, especially the Brotherhood scene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decent setup. Good to see everyone back.

Walder Frey looked different i thought.

Lore you may know. Is there some kind of feud between GRRM and the shows producers? Was reading on reddit many fans bagging the show and something about how GRRM was not happy how they are doing things?

I feel like he's just a tool for the writers... comedic value and as a mouthpiece to bring new information to other characters. I like John Bradley though.

I particularly like this theory which heavily involves Sam.

Decent setup. Good to see everyone back.

Walder Frey looked different i thought.

Lore you may know. Is there some kind of feud between GRRM and the shows producers? Was reading on reddit many fans bagging the show and something about how GRRM was not happy how they are doing things?
I don't read much reddit but I get the feeling that he might not be particularly impressed. Publicly in interviews and on his notablog he always cites the butterfly effect and how many kids Scarlett has in gone with the wind. I don't think he ever anticipated three decades of written work being spoiled by a TV show going rogue before he was finished though. One of the books has been due out since season 4, which would've made it easier for the show writers to adapt it faithfully. Certainly the characters are a bit less polished than they were before, I can imagine what it would be like to see them adapted badly. Tyrion's wit is GRRM's, he's GRRMs favourite character and without his direct involvement with the scripts or any of GRRM's work to base the dialogue on it's pretty much gone down the gurgler, as one example.

GRRM's involvement was wound back on the show and on his other projects so he could get the next book finished, ftr. Not bad blood.

I believe they still have a working relationship and that the TV show writers have info that GRRM has given them to work from so it doesn't get too far off base, and he might well be at comic con next weekend for the game of thrones panel. They should end up in roughly the same place but the show is taking short cuts to get there.

I'll have a look later and get back to you, can't have sound on atm :)

Interesting with regards to the show in isolation. Doesn't work so well with the books or GRRM interviews about reliable narrators, the UnKiss and so on. The books are laid out with each chapter following a specific character, you read their thoughts, memories, green dreams, etc. within their chapters. The characters aren't necessarily called by their official names in the chapter titles though, Theon becomes Reek, Arya becomes many things. Sam as collator might make more sense as far as the books are concerned (sort of like the collection of bible stories in the bible?). Also the first book is called "Game of Thrones", as in what goes on in the south. The series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire" (asoiaf), and covers a lot more than just the war of the five kings and politicking over the Iron Throne. In his closing line he mentions that the narrator would close the book and say 'and that was the game of thrones' or something like that... but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense if the series is ultimately not about the throne? Idk. The thing about the chandeliers and the intro is pretty interesting though. Easter egg!

I'm curious about the 'bittersweet ending like LOTR' comment from GRRM. How do you get bittersweet out of it at the moment?

Interesting with regards to the show in isolation. Doesn't work so well with the books or GRRM interviews about reliable narrators, the UnKiss and so on. The books are laid out with each chapter following a specific character, you read their thoughts, memories, green dreams, etc. within their chapters. The characters aren't necessarily called by their official names in the chapter titles though, Theon becomes Reek, Arya becomes many things. Sam as collator might make more sense as far as the books are concerned (sort of like the collection of bible stories in the bible?). Also the first book is called "Game of Thrones", as in what goes on in the south. The series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire" (asoiaf), and covers a lot more than just the war of the five kings and politicking over the Iron Throne. In his closing line he mentions that the narrator would close the book and say 'and that was the game of thrones' or something like that... but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense if the series is ultimately not about the throne? Idk. The thing about the chandeliers and the intro is pretty interesting though. Easter egg!

I'm curious about the 'bittersweet ending like LOTR' comment from GRRM. How do you get bittersweet out of it at the moment?
I have a feeling the bittersweet part will be that one character gets what they want, but at the expense of another. For example (and this isn't what I think will happen, it's just an easy example), Jon dies to allow Dany to take the throne.

I actually think it will be more Stark oriented though. Bran becomes the new Night King to stop the war? Sansa takes her place as Queen of the North but something happens to Jon?

In the words of Ramsay Bolton "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention".

I have a feeling the bittersweet part will be that one character gets what they want, but at the expense of another. For example (and this isn't what I think will happen, it's just an easy example), Jon dies to allow Dany to take the throne.

I actually think it will be more Stark oriented though. Bran becomes the new Night King to stop the war? Sansa takes her place as Queen of the North but something happens to Jon?

In the words of Ramsay Bolton "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention".
Perhaps Daenerys' help with the White Walkers comes at the cost of Jon renouncing rights to the throne/s (either as a Targ or as King of the North?)

"Despite his immediate success and popularity, however, and despite his claim to the throne through raising the royal banner, [he] decided to lay aside his claim for the time being. He knew that if he aggressively promoted his claim, rival claimants or debates as to his legitimacy were not out of the question, and this could be a fatal distraction for [them] at a time when [they] needed to be united against [...]."

^that quote is from a LOTR wikia, about Aragorn of course. Could just as easily describe Jon though. I feel like Jon's arc has to go somewhere, he is quite literally a son of ice and fire, he has this whole backstory he doesn't know about yet which serves no narrative purpose whatsoever unless someone other than Bran figures it out.

Honestly though that Ed Sheeran cameo felt cringe worthy to me.
it was terrible! Plus they didn't even get him to sing- such a wasted opportunity.

I don't read much reddit but I get the feeling that he might not be particularly impressed. Publicly in interviews and on his notablog he always cites the butterfly effect and how many kids Scarlett has in gone with the wind. I don't think he ever anticipated three decades of written work being spoiled by a TV show going rogue before he was finished though. One of the books has been due out since season 4, which would've made it easier for the show writers to adapt it faithfully. Certainly the characters are a bit less polished than they were before, I can imagine what it would be like to see them adapted badly. Tyrion's wit is GRRM's, he's GRRMs favourite character and without his direct involvement with the scripts or any of GRRM's work to base the dialogue on it's pretty much gone down the gurgler, as one example.

GRRM's involvement was wound back on the show and on his other projects so he could get the next book finished, ftr. Not bad blood.

I believe they still have a working relationship and that the TV show writers have info that GRRM has given them to work from so it doesn't get too far off base, and he might well be at comic con next weekend for the game of thrones panel. They should end up in roughly the same place but the show is taking short cuts to get there.

I'll have a look later and get back to you, can't have sound on atm :)

Yeah I figured as much.
I don't feel too sorry for the bloke if he has had some creative license removed or his universe has been ruined, he made that choice when he sold the rights to make the series and then dragged his feet for 7 years instead of getting the books out.

The Hound is amazing, my favourite character by far

Love the Hound, as complex a character as you'll see on the show.

Also really love Cersei as a character - never a dull moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back