Matthew Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, Barry. Bones they called him. Very very good tall utility played in 3 flags. Saved many a goal in GFs and finals backing into packs to take marks. Could score goals too. Brought an academic mindset to the club and was oft not noted due to the stars that surrounded him. He was a very good big game player and crucially, played to team rules and handled pressure.

First memory of him is going out to address the players at quarter time in a night series match in 1977, sporting a pink umbrella while the players stood in the rain! It went down poorly with the supporters. He was on a bit of a hiding to nothing, succeeding Hafey.

My old man reckoned he was a very good player who could've been even better but for injuries. Sits in the club's Hall of Fame along with Richo so I'm not going to pot him, other than to say that "best"/"better" are pretty subjective. Players' reputations are so tightly entwined with team success that it's impossible to separate them, even for those who seek to. Had he played a decade earlier he might be remembered as just another good player. The coverage is so comprehensive now that it's a lot easier to rate modern players against one another, but harder to rate those from past eras.

First memory of him is going out to address the players at quarter time in a night series match in 1977, sporting a pink umbrella while the players stood in the rain! It went down poorly with the supporters. He was on a bit of a hiding to nothing, succeeding Hafey.

My old man reckoned he was a very good player who could've been even better but for injuries. Sits in the club's Hall of Fame along with Richo so I'm not going to pot him, other than to say that "best"/"better" are pretty subjective. Players' reputations are so tightly entwined with team success that it's impossible to separate them, even for those who seek to. Had he played a decade earlier he might be remembered as just another good player. The coverage is so comprehensive now that it's a lot easier to rate modern players against one another, but harder to rate those from past eras.
Teams win or lose because of the personnel in total in the team. All players contribute to the success or otherwise of the team. They are in an active role to affect the team. I really don' t like the meme that Matthew was a victim of a poor Richmond era. I regard him as being a contributor to the poor era. Its harsh I know. Equally, Bones was not a free traveler on the RFC juggernaut. He earnt his stripe.

Teams win or lose because of the personnel in total in the team. All players contribute to the success or otherwise of the team. They are in an active role to affect the team. I really don' t like the meme that Matthew was a victim of a poor Richmond era. I regard him as being a contributor to the poor era. Its harsh I know. Equally, Bones was not a free traveler on the RFC juggernaut. He earnt his stripe.
Have to disagree, while all players contribute to success, a very good player surrounded by a poor team can only do so much. Put dusty in the north side now and they are still north.

Was he one of the top 10 forwards to ever play the game?
He kicked 800 goals in 282 games. He is currently ranked 12th in the VFL/AFL goal kicking records. Just have a think about that. 12th. There's been a lot of players that have kicked a lot of goals.

It sounds like you're judging him based on his personality? Pretty shallow way to judge a player that's kicked 800 goals.

Bloke is an absolute legend and the best FF since his debut after Matthew Lloyd.

I really don' t like the meme that Matthew was a victim of a poor Richmond era.

He had some pretty good players delivering the ball at times - Knights, Campbell, Broderick, Bowden, Cameron, Brown, Deledio. Not a "victim" as such, but there's no question he was very unlucky to play in a team that for 17 years was no better than "decent", and sometimes much worse. Could've done a Brad Ottens and stamped himself as a successful player; instead he's remembered for striving mightily against odds stacked against him by events that occurred long before he arrived, much like a Robert Flower or a Garry Wilson. His career is tainted by his club's failure, not the other way around.

He led the club's Brownlow voting in his final year from a handful of games FFS.

Last edited:
Rofl,

One of the nicest blokes? Well let's see..notorious for giving players and spectators the middle finger salute, attacking a spectator when walking back to the rooms, berating team mates on the field when things dont go his way, cracking scott lucas in the face when he was on the ground. Yep, he sure was a nice bloke. A real role model.
Your intentions are flat out clear - you don't like him and you're using any dirt you can scrape from under your nails to try and find a knock on him.

Why don't you scrape the dirt from your other nails? On other players?

Matthews - Neville Bruns
Hall - Staker
Lloyd - Thurgood
Lynch - Probably would've killed Wakelin if a punch landed
Lockett - Caven

And you think a hit on Lucas is worth using to derail a legendary record?

Giving a one fingered salute? Your argument is turning to water.

For gods sake how many players berate others on the field?

Mate, give up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giving a one fingered salute? Your argument is turning to water.

For gods sake how many players berate others on the field?

There's only one player who STOOD OUT for doing these things, and that was richo.

Edit: I didn't mind him cracking lucas in the head, because I thought he deserved it. The same way cox deserved to get cracked in the head by vickery. Although vickery was painted as the villain, it was clear if you saw what cox did beforehand that he had it coming.

Richmond supporters related with Richo. Super, super frustrated at times but really just wanted the best for his club. He’s just a Richmond diehard like many of us, who happened to play for Richmond, unlike many of us. He struggles to hide his emotions in the media (see R23 2014 & R9 2017) and while I can understand why that might be annoying for most people, it proves that idea to me. When we won the flag he was, like me, stoked we won the flag. Not jealous it couldn’t be him (maybe a little bit). Stoked he was there. That’s why he’s not just in Richmond’s top 10. He’s not far lower than Jack Dyer. And who knows how we’ll look back at him in 70 years.

There's only one player who STOOD OUT for doing these things, and that was richo.

Edit: I didn't mind him cracking lucas in the head, because I thought he deserved it. The same way cox deserved to get cracked in the head by vickery. Although vickery was painted as the villain, it was clear if you saw what cox did beforehand that he had it coming.
Really? What comes up on google when you type Barry Hall or Alastair Lynch?

Peter Czerkaski was my big brother at school when I started in Grade 4 at De La Salle College and he was doing year 12. He was assigned to be my mentor and was meant to read to me and do activities etc but all he wanted to do was kick the footy. I thought he was pretty awesome and I used to watch him playing for the Tigers but he was ordinary at the top level. Great player for Sandringham in the VFA later and named in their team of the century.
What year did you finish? PM me if you want.

I saw every game Richo played and can't even remember it. Is there video? Can recall him sending Hird to hospital in his 200th though.

It was a game in the late 90s at the MCG. Richo and lucas ended up on the ground, with richo on top of lucas. Richo took a swing at lucas, clearly trying to punch him in the face. It was hard to tell if the punch connected properly, but the intent was clear. This didn't receive a lot of coverage like the barry hall incident because it wasn't a case of a player taking a wild swing and knocking the other player's lights when they weren't expecting it. It was more of two players having a little scuffle on the ground, and richo getting in a cheapshot when the umpire's attention was elsewhere.

Last edited:
It was a game in the late 90s at the MCG. Richo and lucas ended up on the ground, with richo on top of lucas. Richo took a swing at lucas, clearly trying to punch him in the face. It was hard to tell if the punch connected properly, but the intent was clear. This didn't receive a lot of coverage like the barry hall incident because it wasn't a case of a player taking a wild swing and knocking the other player's lights when they weren't expecting it. It was more of two players having a wrestle/tussle on the ground, and richo getting in a cheapshot when the umpire's attention was elsewhere.

Several players were suspended for attempted striking in that period, so it's unlikely there was too much in it. Even your description makes it sound rather minor.

Should have kicked 1000+
Should've, if only. Or instead of plugging away in tassie to make it to the elite level and then kicking 800 goals - He could've sat on his arse and anonymously bagged guys that actually had a crack and achieved something. But you keep sitting in your bedroom at your parents house and tell us what he could've and should've done buddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back