Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradshaw is another example, that Melbourne guy whose name escapes me...there are always busts that in hindsight look stupid. Still at any given moment half of all lists, or some percentage that swansfan51 will tell us, will never play AFL or at least a number of games. They still get paid, at least this guy was known to be able to play. Pay your money and take your chances I guess.

Rambling now... Sorry. I am disappointed in this whole sorry saga for every stakeholder.

Think it's Mitch Clark you are talking about.

But nothing will beat that horrible Dale Thomas contract.

Anyway! All else aside, the big fella chose our club because he admired our culture.
That's not something that occured in the dark old days.
I wish Kurt all the best & am sorry it didn't work out for both he & the club as we had planned, but 2 GFs in his 5 years as a Swan is not a total failure. The guy did give his best & we have perhaps underestimated the dificulties he played under in 2017.

This could have a ripple effect through the club. As good as Sinclair can be (in proportion to his talent level),

We either play sinclair week in week out
Reid spend more time in the ruck ( huge injury risk)
Move Heeney forward again ( capable forward but we lose his kicking ability in the middle)
Give aliir second ruck duties ( hugely unproven)
Or blood McCartin or Cameron (risky due to no experience)

This thread was so painful to read through regardless what you think of him he played for our club and was unfairly maligned on here and in the media.
Very fairly maligned. Never performed for Sydney and was on a squillion $$
His recruitment turned out to be one of the worst Sydney has done
That's how it works. Perform or perish

This could have a ripple effect through the club. As good as Sinclair can be (in proportion to his talent level),

We either play sinclair week in week out
Reid spend more time in the ruck ( huge injury risk)
Move Heeney forward again ( capable forward but we lose his kicking ability in the middle)
Give aliir second ruck duties ( hugely unproven)
Or blood McCartin or Cameron (risky due to no experience)
Whilst that may be the case, it now opens up opportunities for others as well. Unproven players can only become proven one way I guess. Tippett never rebounded from the suspension we inherited. That very first possession v Port was exciting, but even that game saw him fade out if I remember. I remember the Carlton game in the wet where he looked a step above. Just the consistency was never there. Will always be a case of what could of been. Looking forward to seeing who grabs the opportunity that is now there.

If we compare Buddy and Kurt’s output since joining a few obvious things stand out.

In terms of fitness and performance Buddy has shown hands down what a great player he is.

Kurt was never the player Buddy is, though the comparisons (due to contracts etc) were always there.

I wish him all the best, but geezuz I’m glad he’s off our list.

Think it's Mitch Clark you are talking about.

But nothing will beat that horrible Dale Thomas contract.

Tingay actually, penny finally dropped. Not on the same scale of course but a weird, albeit small, blip. I was thinking Swans only.

But you are correct, Clark was a howling with 20-20 engaged but oh so forseeable at the same time.

WOW - shocking! Not that his ankle is stuffed, but that he won't continue to rehab it.
I will remember him for his outstanding work two years back when he was the form ruckman in the comp before going down with the injury.
I wonder what the settlement is? Surely must be a fair chunk for him to give up on rehab.
All the best KT.

Wonder if we settled to pay him his original 2018 contract value this year. This would have salary cap implications this year (we would be over) but as I understand it you can balance over a couple of years now.

That would see us carry some of that salary into 2019 (but lower than his 2019 contract) but not the list spot.

Say he was to be paid $900k for 2018 originally (before we extended and spread to 2020) but we reduced to $600k over the longer term. We might be over $300k salary cap this year and have to carry over $300k next year but it would have been less than say 600k saving 300k next year and the full amount in 2020.

Just thinking out loud.

This is the sort of thing that just won't matter to some. The guys career is over due to injury and mutually beneficial agreement was made. He chose the Swans and always spoke about loving the club. He got paid good coin via his managements negotiations yet some fans seem to get on board with the Eddie Bondi BS as though he was a ruthless money grabber. I've fought against the negatives jotted out of this guy and thankfully that's pretty much over.

He didn't perform well in the biggest of games (had mates) and when your salary is as such you will always be judged on those days. I can't argue against those days but for it to spill over into almost hatred is beyond me.

Time to just send him out with some good luck to his next venture and move on to the opportunity it provides the next blood.

Have a pot shot at him on his way out if you must but for me good on you Tippo thanks for identifying the Swans and Sydney as somewhere you'd want to be to try and be a success and for going out with some dignity and looking after the club a bit that certainly looked after you.

It’s hard to hate a guy that destroys his body playing for the club, but people manage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s hard to hate a guy that destroys his body playing for the club, but people manage.

His retirement is a case of best for the individual and best for the club.

I understand all the commentary around the $$$ and output....put that on the club as much as the player. The heart and effort commentary etc etc I have trouble with. He did play through injury often ...... v GWS with a broken Jaw I think as well as other injuries.

Timing is everything..we never really saw the best of him, that is that....but he did play for the club and contributed more than what you read about here though but no need to rewrite history. Plenty who never quiet reach the potential they have....he will live with that tag I guess. Good luck to him.

Cant wait for the season to get going....

Very fairly maligned. Never performed for Sydney and was on a squillion $$
His recruitment turned out to be one of the worst Sydney has done
That's how it works. Perform or perish

Not necessarily his fault. He performed in 2013, 2015 and the first half of 2016, for instance. He couldn't control the fact that his body kept letting him down and that the club asked him to play out of position (which, again, he did commendably at in 2015 and early 2016).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-23/swans-retirement-on-the-radar-last-year

His decision may have surprised the footy world, given the ruckman had three years left on his contract and the Swans were expecting him to be running after the Christmas break, but Longmire said he wasn't blindsided when Tippett told him he wouldn't play on in 2018.

"We understood it was on the radar at the end of last year," he said on Tuesday.

"It's a big decision for anyone to make and we knew once he had the ankle reconstruction that it was going to be a big challenge to go through the whole rehab process again to get back and play.

"You underestimate the mental challenges you have when you do that year on year and he's had a few of those over the journey.

"People don't understand how tough it was for him last year, he hurt his ankle in round two and had to play the whole season under pretty severe duress."

Well said Joe.

This from John Longmire says it all.

"People don't understand how tough it was for him last year, he hurt his ankle in round two and had to play the whole season under pretty severe duress."

Enough said really.

If his ankle was so bad then why did we continue to play him? Should've put him on ice for the season.

Club rates him

If his ankle was so bad then why did we continue to play him? Should've put him on ice for the season.
I think Horse mentioned he was a bit undecided if 2017 was going to be his last or not. I think he wanted to play out the season in case that was the case. He ended up getting an extension from the club and thought he'd be right but ultimately made the call his body wasn't up to it.

Good on him for making the call and not dragging out another season of injury. Both for himself, his body but also the club. We can all move on now toward the 2018 season.

Last edited:
I suppose it's easy to say his recruitment was a stuff up by the club with the benefit of hindsight, but I think it's an oversimplification to look at it that way, every deal is a matter of risk vs reward. We have to remember at the time the we had just won a premiership and we were aiming to win another in the short term future. The forward line was identified as a weakness given it was quite makeshift in 2012 with a 20 year old Reid and an ageing Goodesy as our key targets.

It's pretty common knowledge that key forwards are difficult to recruit so you have to pay a premium and generally they go high in the draft and take years to develop. So given with Kurt Tippett we had a rare opportunity to address a need without trading away any of our established best-22 players at the time, and considering there was no way to predict that Buddy would nominate us as his preferred destination a year later I think the decision to recruit Tippett at the time made sense. Although some of the details of the deal were questionable - for instance, the trigger clause seemed unnecessary on surface value.

Anyway, unfortunately on this occasion the investment didn't pay off. Not the first time that's happened and won't be the last. Good luck to Kurt on his next phase in life and hopefully the cap space that gets freed up makes a difference in helping us retain someone like Aliir going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back