Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

I do flick through this thread occasionally to see what you're up to...
I really enjoy this thread and I know others do too. The big question is, are you old enough?

Watched Fitzroy rough Footscray up twice in 1979. Firstly at VFL Park and then at home. We had their measure that year. At both games.

Fitzroy jumped out of the boxes in 1986. Here they account for a plucky Footscray.

Last edited:

Win this ... win the flag! Sadly it was not to be. The fourth was Bernie Quinlan’s greatest quarter of football. We was robbed.

One of the greatest individual performances in a final without doubt. Umpires decided that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got South Melbourne this week.

Some of you may remember the first two, but I will never forget the last quarter if the 1986 Final.

Last edited:
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ues-need-an-afl-hand-out-20180525-p4zhh6.html

I’ll put this up in here, because more mature types like us have the capacity to still engage with extended pieces of prose. A very insightful piece, although I would suggest that Brisbane is more entitled to extra assistance given the issues we face trying to attract players and retain players in QLD.

Carlton are a former VFL / AFL powerhouse who still have a massive supporter base to draw on for financial support. They will bounce back once they get their house in order. Much harder to feel sorry for Carlton.

People should also remember that Carlton pinched Frank Marchesani from Fitzroy and completely ruined him as a footballer. We have long memories at the ‘Roys.

Last edited:

At this one. It was absolutely blowing a gale ... and raining goals for Fitzroy!

P.S. Great Kevin Murray post Dylan12. As a kid, I watched him play towards the end of his career and have met him and chatted at Fitzroy games / events in recent years. He is as Fitzroy as they come and quite a funny guy. He whipped the Brownlow off and popped it around my son’s neck when I saw him at a Fitzroy v Melbourne Grammar Old Boys game at the Junction Oval a few years back and we had a good chat and got plenty of photos. He said he got a bit lost getting to the ground because he couldn’t find the old St.Kilda train line, which used to terminate at Fitzroy St. Very dry sense of humour.

I have a memory of riding on these, finished up in Brisbane in 1969, I was 10.

9562920-3x2-700x467.jpg

Hi troops. If any of you is going to the after match function, look me up. I'll be the one looking like the more distinguished older brother of the MC

At this one. It was absolutely blowing a gale ... and raining goals for Fitzroy!

P.S. Great Kevin Murray post Dylan12. As a kid, I watched him play towards the end of his career and have met him and chatted at Fitzroy games / events in recent years. He is as Fitzroy as they come and quite a funny guy. He whipped the Brownlow off and popped it around my son’s neck when I saw him at a Fitzroy v Melbourne Grammar Old Boys game at the Junction Oval a few years back and we had a good chat and got plenty of photos. He said he got a bit lost getting to the ground because he couldn’t find the old St.Kilda train line, which used to terminate at Fitzroy St. Very dry sense of humour.

I was a very keen junior member in the early 70's and saw most games he played in that era including his last. Just marvellous memories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back