30 Years of The AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Over half the market is in one state too...
I’ve seen you post this statement over and over again in various threads with zero substance to back your bogus claim. Sure it’s a substantial portion of the market, maybe half... now over half?
Plus you’re well and truly off topic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Look at the population of the football states, TV ratings and the players produced. Vic is >50% of the market.

As for being off topic...I quoted what I was responding to, and my comment was relevant to that.

55.7% of players in league are from Victoria. 55.6% of clubs in league are from Victoria.
Instead of just continuing to attract the best players from interstate leagues to join the big league in the nation as 70's and 80's moved on and diminish them further, we allowed you teams in the league to take part and even be based in other states. Even replaced the V with an A to ease the pain.
Would have been worse outcome to other state football fans to have all the best players in VFL now and no teams from other states. So much was sacrificed to allow other states be part of the premier league in the nation.
Celebrate what Victoria has given to our nation. Our own great game and our great league.
You're welcome.
Time to add Tassie club next.
Would be a good way to celebrate 125th season of the league in 2021. Make it happen Gil, you South Aussie ignorant twat. We might respect you then.

Last edited:
There cannot be more Victorian teams.
AFL is paranoid about having more non-Victorian teams than Victorian teams as that would affect the balance of power.
Therefore there cannot be more non-Victorian teams.

The game will remain stuck in the Victorian Era because of the above.

A game called Australian Football League will only ever be a novelty to people outside Australia.

Victorians want to keep VFL->AFL delineation fuzzy, so as you well know they will not celebrate X years of AFL.

125th season in 2021 and yet in 2020 one club is 150 years old.

So much bullshit, I need a bigger shovel.

Anyone is free to celebrate any section of league history they like I would have thought. If someone wants to celebrate 50 seasons of watching or 30 seasons all power to them for not needing others to the same arbitrary interest of time. Happy to celebrate my 42nd season of following league footy in my own way and just as happy to my club to celebrate Collingwood's 100th and 125th seasons birthday by beating to celebrate in our way. Plenty of things to celebrate when you look for them.

I certainly take your point about the right to celebrate what you want.

I still feel that 30 seasons is something of a milestone - especially when it’s been a successful period in so many ways. Every supporter of every team would have something to celebrate since the 1990 season. As I’ve said ad nauseum, this is not diminishing the league before 1990, just celebrating what happened at and after that point in time.

AFL is paranoid about having more non-Victorian teams than Victorian teams as that would affect the balance of power.

A game called Australian Football League will only ever be a novelty to people outside Australia.

Victorians want to keep VFL->AFL delineation fuzzy, so as you well know they will not celebrate X years of AFL.

So you read the Advertiser, then...?

I also seem to see PAFC 1870 plastered on Port's jumper...thought you guys joined in 1997...?

I certainly take your point about the right to celebrate what you want.

I still feel that 30 seasons is something of a milestone - especially when it’s been a successful period in so many ways. Every supporter of every team would have something to celebrate since the 1990 season. As I’ve said ad nauseum, this is not diminishing the league before 1990, just celebrating what happened at and after that point in time.

This reminds me of a great podcast series some people created last year that wanted to celebrate 25 years since 1993 season as the guys that created had some personal view that 1993 was their favourite and best season of football for them. I've downloaded most of series and listened to quite a few episodes. I do not agree with their view 1993 season is best ever but I do encourage them celebrating what they believe was a meaningful period of change in league football. There was some massive changes between mid 80's to mid 90's that has changed things forever. There is no reason you could not do similar if you found some fellow students of game keen on such a project.

You are shoveling very hard there, I'll give you that.

Anything to base those assertions on, or is it just the paranoid chip on your shoulder?

This reminds me of a great podcast series some people created last year that wanted to celebrate 25 years since 1993 season as the guys that created had some personal view that 1993 was their favourite and best season of football for them. I've downloaded most of series and listened to quite a few episodes. I do not agree with their view 1993 season is best ever but I do encourage them celebrating what they believe was a meaningful period of change in league football. There was some massive changes between mid 80's to mid 90's that has changed things forever. There is no reason you could not do similar if you found some fellow students of game keen on such a project.

Yeah I’ve heard that’s a good podcast - will give it a listen. I guess that sums up the sentiment I wanted to explore in this thread - on the whole it’s been a really strong 30 seasons; most issues have been limited to single clubs or individuals. That’s not common in Australian sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back