No Left Foot

Remove this Banner Ad

Great post ! I've always complained about the lack of using both sides as a professional player.

I played TAC and VFL football a few years back now. I could both sides with great efficiency. My Dad pushed me when I was young to kick opposite foot for the whole night at training every so often. It becomes natural after the time put in.

What does my head in is players just having a kick to kick warmup before training, and they just kick with preferred, instead of swapping legs each kick.

I am disgusted to see top 20 draftees players who are suppose to be the best in the country, can't kick both sides. It must come down to the training aspects these days.

Has anyone ever seen Buddy kick on his right?

I agree by and large that in order to be a complete player, you need to kick on both sides. But if Buddy can get away without bothering, it makes you wonder.
That's a fair call on Buddy.

However, I believe it's more important as a midfielder to be able to use both feet effectively. It helps with their evasiveness and confidence to go either way. Look at Bob Murphy for example.

Has anyone ever seen Buddy kick on his right?

I agree by and large that in order to be a complete player, you need to kick on both sides. But if Buddy can get away without bothering, it makes you wonder.
Yeah an interesting one. In soccer, to make it as a professional you have to be at least proficient on both feet, even though most players still have a preferred side.

But then Diego Maradona, arguably the GOAT, seemed entirely left footed. His right foot was last seen with Elvis somewhere, and Pele still niggles him about it!

I think any midfielder worth his salt should be able to dump a drop punt with correct spin 50 metres down the line at the least. Some go above and beyond, on our team Shuey is the standout but even players like Yeo, Redden and Duggan are more than capable of hitting a loosely covered target with a low pass.

The trajectory alterations are where players struggle, but not hitting it straight shouldn't be excusable.

It's actually easier to snap on the opposite than drop punt.

I find having the body opened up and the leg swinging through more uniformly much easier. It's more of a slightly side on soccer style movement in a way than the straight lined drop punt.
Oddly enough, I find the ball drop (lol) much easier on the left and consequently it's a more accurate drop punt for me. I just can't kick it as far as I can on my right though.

Boomer Harvey is arguably one of the best kicks ever, and he never kicked off his left. He could just place them anywhere with his right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(left footers kicking right are a lost cause, must be genetics).

We have a left footer who can kick better with his right than half our team on their preferred foot.

But I agree left footers in general are more one sided. Perhsps it's because they are less common, so defensively they get their left side covered less, and don't have to kick on their right as much and right footers have to kick on their left.

In terms of playing against or with or known (known quite a few AFL players who have been All Australian etc) would be Courtney Gum .More unbelievable since she didn't play until she was 28..Key point is she kicked truckloads of balls with her brothers on a farm growing up so she had developed the muscle memory .

I get embarrassed for the player when they cant kick left foot (left footers kicking right are a lost cause, must be genetics).

As a bloke who used to pride myself on using both sides I find it both embarrassing and cringeworthy that AFL players - we're talking professional athletes in their field - cant execute this skill. So often it costs teams in critical moments

Anyone else feel the same? If at our top level the skills aren't this good what does that say about our sport?
I agree 100% though the real good players very rarely get wrongsided

Yeah an interesting one. In soccer, to make it as a professional you have to be at least proficient on both feet, even though most players still have a preferred side.

But then Diego Maradona, arguably the GOAT, seemed entirely left footed. His right foot was last seen with Elvis somewhere, and Pele still niggles him about it!
It's far, far easier to kick a soccer ball on your non preferred than a footy.

Being able to kick on both feet, or at least not scared to use your weak foot when you’re turned onto it, should be an expectation.

s**t like ‘quarterback position,’ people looking at you weirdly for saying rover, basketball backgrounds, calling the whole game AFL. Boils me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back