Review Round 3, 2019: Port Melbourne v Box Hill Hawks, 20 April 2019, 2.00pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

Connor Glass named in the forward line, but did he play midfield? Hope he can get some consistency, expecting him to be named ruck next week

Mirra was there as a spectator. No Brand, O'Brien or Lewis. Ross has done a friggen hammy and I reckon Moore was rested at half time.

Glass played purely as a mid.

Port looked to be working harder which is disappointing. Our field kicking was horrible. Our goal kicking was worse.

Jones worked hard but did not have much influence.
Pitt and Cegs do not mark the footy anywhere near enough.
CJ looked the pick of the bunch but our defenders were undersized across the board.

My assessment four beers latter was a tad more harsh!

Schoe battled hard. He missed at least three set shots in the first half that would have given us a sniff. Normally he is a beautiful kick.

Pitt had one set shot and was lucky the ball hit his foot. Simply horrible skills, dunno where he is going but his footy future is not bright.

Did TOB play? Only.listened to last Q didn't hear him mentioned.

Disappointing to hear both Miles and CJ called. Wish they were in the seniors.
CJ was very average today. Went the aerial spectacular move every chance he could and almost always went for too much and overcomitted and it helped Pt Melbourne score.

Ceglar was WOG. Beaten by a plodder and took 1 contested mark for the game.

So many kicks and handballs at the toes.

I agree with ESC's analysis, plus:

The lack of talls meant the Clarkson high ball gameplan was destined to fail. There was a definite change in game play stule than what had seen BHH be so dominant in their first 2 games.
In the last quarter they finally started running the ball down the field, Port looked very beatable.

The biggest thing for me was that BHH kicked to set positions on the ground while Port kicked to their teammates. Port got much smoother ball movement as a result.

The lack of attacking run was frustrating. I saw Jones do it a few times but SLB is on the money with we went long and relied on winning contests. Cegs and Pitt out mark blokes a foot shorter and it may have been a good plan.

We had Schoe, Cegs, Pitt, Ross, Moore, Jones, Golds, Greaves, Miles, Glass, Ollie and Kosi. So only half a team and most of them kids.

Seems the same themes as last year - miles, Ollie, glass, Pitt probably not afl players with some queries on Moore. But some new hope in jones, Ross,golds and kossie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game was played in near perfect conditions and yet our skills were very ordinary particularly our set shots at goal in the first half.There was a lot of poor decision making, disposal errors by hand and foot and fumbling of the ball even when we were not under immediate pressure. At half time I was confident even though Port led by 15 points however when I realised we were down two rotations at the commencement of the second half I knew it would take a good effort to win in the hot conditions. Ross had a hamstring injury and Moore was possibly held over to be available on Monday. To add to our troubles Koschitzke appeared to be concussed in the third quarter and at around 20 minutes into the quarter what appeared to be a clear mark to our player whose name I cannot recall was paid to Port player O'Sullivan [43] who took the ball from behind. It was either a BHH mark or ball up unless there is a new rule to pay a mark to the man behind instead of the man in front who gets his hands on the ball first. After the goal was kicked from 20 metres out directly in front there was some push and shove and O'Sullivan was awarded a free kick before the ball was bounced and kicked a second goal hence 58 to 38 became 70 to 38 and it was effectively game over. With only two on the interchange bench in the last quarter we did well to outscore Port by 10 points.

I watched the Casey game live until 3/4 time and the Sandringham and Port games from the first bounce until the end and my observations on the players who haven't debuted in the AFL are as follows:
Koschitzke - He has certainly displayed quality if not quantity which will come with time. His marking, positioning, decision making and disposal have been good and he looks a good prospect.
Jiath - After a slow start in first half against Casey, he had a very good second half. He played a very good game against Sandy where he displayed good anticipation, speed, strong pressure and tackling and he took some contested marks and used the ball well. Against Port his run was closed down and when he won the ball he tried to do too much. He's an very exciting prospect and will need to overcome times when he is given less freedom from the opposition.
Golds - Worked his way into the game against Casey and had a good game against Sandringham. He is quick and elusive with the ability to find space in congestion. He has shown an ability to read the game and usually uses the ball well. Was quieter against Port who shut down our run and carry game.
Hanrahan - Has shown some dash however his failure to run hard defensively has been a real issue. He needs to improve his work rate defensively and offensively. It's time for him to have a red hot crack to apply pressure and back up his ability to run into space and take the game on.
Ross - Played a break out game against Casey with five goals and a serviceable game against Sandringham with three goals. He has clean hands and is generally a very good kick at goal from set shots and on the run. His strength is his mobility and he has good pace and the ability to run into space. He needs to build up physically to improve his contested work and work harder at apply pressure on the opposition.
Greaves - Reads the play very well and he is a good decision maker. He generally uses the ball to the advantage of his team mates. He is not overly quick however he positions his body well to protect the ball.He wins or halves most one on one contests.
Jones - He has been the hardest working player with his offensive and defensive run and very good tackling and pressure. He's not overly quick however he wins a lot of contested ball or knocks it to the advantage of the team. He has been working hard on his disposal by foot which has improved but needs more work. His composure will improve with confidence. Given how much footy he missed due to injury I think he's tracking well and could be a very good player.

All the above players have potential however they have a lot of hard work ahead in order to improve. Port play a good attacking brand of footy using the corridor when they win the ball. They structured up well and never allowed us to control the ball and game.

Port Melbourne 5.2-32 6.8-44 11.12-78 12.17-89
Box Hill Hawks 1.5-11 3.11-29 5.14-44 8.17-65

PORT MELBOURNE
Goal Kickers: T. O''Sullivan 3, D. Conway 3, K. Haretuku 2, D. Johnstone 2, J. Lisle, A. Krakauer
Best Players: K. Haretuku, C. Searle, B. Jolley, T. O''Sullivan, T. O''Sullivan
BOX HILL HAWKS
Goal Kickers: T. Miles 2, J. Ross, N. Boucher, N. Mullenger-Mchugh, D. Moore, J. Ceglar, O. Hanrahan
Best Players: D. Mascitti, D. Greaves, O. Hanrahan, H. Jones, T. Miles, B. Kilpatrick

Hawkguru, Walker did not play.

Last edited:
Hanrahan in the best. Genuine or a confidence booster HH?

How was Miles?
It was hard to pick the best players.
Ollie was okay, without being damaging.

Miles was scrappy and his usual high quality of ball use was missing against Port. One of his goals was a junktime goal.

The top disposal winners were Mascitti and Walker 20, Meadows 18, Hanrahan 17 and Glass and Kilpatrick 16. Greaves had 13 and Miles had 14. Based on stats Hanrahan was in the best players and as a supporter I'm not aware of whether he was given specific targets and met his targets. My frustration with Ollie is he could be so much better if he worked harder. I would have included Glass in the best because he worked hard and had a game high 7 tackles. We "won" the tackle count 29 to 25 however the ridiculously low number says a lot about our poor work rate. Walker was one of three players with the second highest tackle count with only three tackles. A very disappointing performance all round with so many missed set shots on goal in the first half, a lack of offensive and defensive run and two players on interchange in the last quarter.

Miles was serviceable however he looked a little flat and apart from a few very good efforts he lacked his usual team lifting spark.

The top disposal winners were Mascitti and Walker 20, Meadows 18, Hanrahan 17 and Glass and Kilpatrick 16. Greaves had 13 and Miles had 14. Based on stats Hanrahan was in the best players and as a supporter I'm not aware of whether he was given specific targets and met his targets. My frustration with Ollie is he could be so much better if he worked harder. I would have included Glass in the best because he worked hard and had a game high 7 tackles. We "won" the tackle count 29 to 25 however the ridiculously low number says a lot about our poor work rate. Walker was one of three players with the second highest tackle count with only three tackles. A very disappointing performance all round with so many missed set shots on goal in the first half, a lack of offensive and defensive run and two players on interchange in the last quarter.

Miles was serviceable however he looked a little flat and apart from a few very good efforts he lacked his usual team lifting spark.

i think Mascitti has been our best player for BHH this season so far followed closely by J.Ross, Lewis, Mullenger-McHugh and Miles.

Lots to like about D.Moore.
He seems more adept as a pure leading forward. Runs smart patterns and eventually gets some separation. He's reliable in front of goals. We've watched Poppy for so long we've come to expect that all small forwards are explosive. Moore is not.

Moore may develop into a Toby Green type forward, where Moore is just smarter or works harder than his defender. Greene is 182cms, Moore is 176cms, his height is an issue.

The low disposal tally's explains the game. They had more of the ball. We go slow and long to a contest.

Reading through the review it's hard to be surprised though.

Kosi doesn't come back on for the last quarter, Moore only plays a half, Ross does a hammy.

He seems more adept as a pure leading forward. Runs smart patterns and eventually gets some separation. He's reliable in front of goals. We've watched Poppy for so long we've come to expect that all small forwards are explosive. Moore is not.

Moore may develop into a Toby Green type forward, where Moore is just smarter or works harder than his defender. Greene is 182cms, Moore is 176cms, his height is an issue.
Yep, can't compare Poppy to Moore. Might play same position on the park, but bring different things to the table.

There is plenty to work with for Moore, he's putting himself forward for more games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back