Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm rapt to read that. I'm a big wrap for Marchbank and 1 wing is about the only position i haven't got penned into my team yet. Marchbank is the kind of player we can "play around with" this year as we are "moulding our ultimate team".

The idea is a bit of a worry.
These things have a 'Oh good, we have a plan' sound to them but can materialise into slowly ousting of a player from the main team.

I don't think that will come about for Marchbank as it did for Laidler & Watson, but it does feel more of a case of not needing Marchbank iin the back-line than for the need of having him playing wing.

I’m not convinced, sure he’ll be hard to match up aerially but most other wingers will be as competent in the aerobics department, probably more creative and damaging too...seems a bit strange but we’ll see how it pans out. Think the coaches have decided on the back 6 or 7 despite what Teague has said and the gauntlets being thrown down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marchbank imo is a wonderful player has many great qualities i really love in a player tough brave and fearless being the standouts...
Injuries have hurt him throughout his short career that have impacted so far no doubt, he only needs a fair crack at it to show us all he's true potential, but on exposed form so far his disposal by foot particularly when needing to hit targets has been average at best...
Even switching play by going side wards or backwards under little pressure has stood out as average for mine, also his lack of awareness while in possession with of who's around him has for me at times been a little concerning as well, i'm not suggesting these cant be improved just that he'll need to iron them out to become the high level defender we all see him becoming...

Marchbank imo is a wonderful player has many great qualities i really love in a player tough brave and fearless being the standouts...
Injuries have hurt him throughout his short career that have impacted so far no doubt, he only needs a fair crack at it to show us all he's true potential, but on exposed form so far his disposal by foot particularly when needing to hit targets has been average at best...
Even switching play by going side wards or backwards under little pressure has stood out as average for mine, also his lack of awareness while in possession with of who's around him has for me at times been a little concerning as well, i'm not suggesting these cant be improved just that he'll need to iron them out to become the high level defender we all see him becoming...

Pretty well nails it, I think.

He's not a "poor" kick, just not a great one. As a general rule, if you're going to have a player stationed on the wing, you want them to be damaging by foot because they're going to be the middle link in the chain on a quick break.

No doubt that Marchy could play a similar role to Tomlinson at GWS - tall, athletic bloke on a wing, good option as an outlet from defence, can drop back and intercept at times as well.

But I don't know that it works with how I believe Teague will want us to play. We've got tall outlet players with other strings to their bow in Kreuzer, Cripps, Setters, Levi, McKay, Curnow, Gov, Martin etc. We've got a solid defensive set-up with Weiters, Jones, Plowman and Doc. I think it makes more sense to have a offensive players on the wings, such as Williamson, Newman, O'Brien, Walsh, Murphy, Fisher, Martin, Cunners, Newnes etc. who help move the ball forward quickly and to dangerous positions, and who can offer more defensive pressure between the arcs on an opposition break, rather than just floating back and hoping to intercept.

Pretty well nails it, I think.

He's not a "poor" kick, just not a great one. As a general rule, if you're going to have a player stationed on the wing, you want them to be damaging by foot because they're going to be the middle link in the chain on a quick break.

No doubt that Marchy could play a similar role to Tomlinson at GWS - tall, athletic bloke on a wing, good option as an outlet from defence, can drop back and intercept at times as well.

But I don't know that it works with how I believe Teague will want us to play. We've got tall outlet players with other strings to their bow in Kreuzer, Cripps, Setters, Levi, McKay, Curnow, Gov, Martin etc. We've got a solid defensive set-up with Weiters, Jones, Plowman and Doc. I think it makes more sense to have a offensive players on the wings, such as Williamson, Newman, O'Brien, Walsh, Murphy, Fisher, Martin, Cunners, Newnes etc. who help move the ball forward quickly and to dangerous positions, and who can offer more defensive pressure between the arcs on an opposition break, rather than just floating back and hoping to intercept.
Might be 'balanced put' in other lines too. Putting CM to the wing (even part time) means we most likely have all of Doc, Simmo, SPS & Newman down back. It might also mean we're less likely to see, for arguments sake, Jack and/or Kennedy up forward (alongside Levi, Harry & Mitch) as we may opt for an extra runner/small/mid type player there. ie Newnes/Dow/O'Brien/Gibbons/etc takes Jack/Kennedy's spot as the 7th forward (on the bench)

Morning all,

We've put together our bumper 2020 season preview, available now where all good podcasts are listened to via the links in our signature.

Plenty to chat through and consider, from the SOS situation to our 3 wishes for 2020, best 22 and list power rankings.
If you're so inclined please throw us a listen, reach out on twitter, do all that good stuff.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back