Updated Club Song

Pick one

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Original song, faster, better instrumentation (no midi drums or cheesy synth slap bass, add a brass section), remove the stupidly high notes (big GAME)

Easy fix

If we're going to deny our 80s corporate high flyer Brian Burke-era roots, we may as well pack it up and go home. The more midi drums and synth bass, the better

We're the big birds,
Kings of the big game!
We're the Eagles
and we're flying high!

Absolute Banger of a chorus. Just give us something easy to pound out a billionty times after a win with this chorus. Don't get too cute.
Born is pride from isolation....

We're the big birds,
Kings of the big game!
We're the Eagles
and we're flying high!

Absolute Banger of a chorus. Just give us something easy to pound out a billionty times after a win with this chorus. Don't get too cute.
Yeah I posted it earlier in the thread but the song literally just needs to serve one purpose. Something that is easy for anyone to belt out in celebration after a win. If you have to wait through intros and verses then you’ve absolutely failed

Yeah I posted it earlier in the thread but the song literally just needs to serve one purpose. Something that is easy for anyone to belt out in celebration after a win. If you have to wait through intros and verses then you’ve absolutely failed
Have sympathy for that. But. But on the other hand just repeating a few sentences over and over and over ... rinse and repeat ... boring

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke reveals Eagles considering return of original club song after banner flip​

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke has revealed the club is considering changing its song amid pressure from fans on the back of the popular call to bring back the banner.

The prospect of reinstating the club’s original song is being “considered and discussed”, Pyke confirmed to The West Australian.
The Eagles listened to their fans by bringing back the pre-game banner and the song could be next.
Fans flooded the West Coast website after the banner announcement at Saturday’s fans’ day, calling for the club to bring back the original “We’re Flying High” song which the players sang after their four premiership triumphs of 1992, ’94, 2006 and 2018.
The current anthem was released in early 2020, composed and produced by Ian Berney, with Birds of Tokyo and Karnivool singer Ian Kenny on lyrics, and featuring a didgeridoo and clapsticks.

The club at the time described it as a more “catchy” song but its release was met with a chorus of criticism.
A petition after its release called for the original song to be reinstated and was signed by almost 1200 fans.
Even the Eagles players gave it the thumbs down when they first heard the new version.
Speaking on BackChat with Will Schofield, former player Hamish Brayshaw described as “horrendous” the players’ reaction to their first hearing.

“I know the club put a lot of work in getting Birds of Tokyo on board and they were pretty happy when they did. There was heaps of patting on the back,” Brayshaw said.
“We are sitting there as a playing group and they brought them in … they played the behind the scenes footage.
“Everyone just starts pissing themselves. Our execs are up the front saying ‘How good is this?’ All the players just walk out wetting their pants about how s..t it was’.”

Fans urged the club to ditch in favour of the original version on the Eagles’ official website following the announcement they were bringing back the banner.
“I second (third, four, fifth etc) the calls to bring ack the old song,” fan Christopher Bean said.
“There’s no heart in the new version it’s too passive,” said Debi Hewitt.
“Current version is such an anticlimactic way to celebrate a win, especially after a close game. We haven’t had much to celebrate lately so let’s get back to better things,” said Dion Tuner.

“Great news and stay with the original song. No other team has changed theirs. Bring back the song that we played at our four gf wins. Tradition!!!!” said Brett Mac.
The original verse of “We’re the Eagles” was written by musician Kevin Peek and debuted at the club’s 1987 launch. Some verses were added later by Ken Walther who also composed the Fremantle song.
The West Australian ran a series of reports last year that diehard supporters were demanding the club bring back the tradition of the banner.
Pyke said the decision was driven by wanting to connect his club with the community.

“We see the banner as part of the culture and match day experience for fans and having heard the views of many members and fans in the last few years it’s coming back,” Pyke said.
“We see other opportunities to connect with our cheer squad and community groups who will be utilised to make and present the banner on match days and also have input into the message on it.”
Club legend Nic Naitanui joined Pyke on stage to make the announcement.
The new Eagles CEO said the retired ruckman was instrumental in the change, even going as far as going into the Eagles boss’ office and asking him to bring it back.
Naitanui spoke out against ditching the banner after it was scrapped, stating in 2018 he was a “traditionalist” and always dreamed of running through it as a kid.
“I like some of the things in footy that make footy, footy,” he said at the time.
“I’m probably going to get into trouble for saying this, but I like the banner.

“When I first got to West Coast I think it brought the community back to the club.
“I would go into Subiaco and in the warm-up room every second week there would be a crew of people spending a few hours making the banner … for me that was pretty big.
“Hopefully we can open up the shed again, bring people back in and get people making the banner.”
The West Australian first reported in May hundreds of supporters were campaigning to bring the tradition back, with an exclusive poll even revealing 94 per cent of the public wanted it revived.
At the time, players such as Jeremy McGovern even revealed they wanted its return, with chairman Paul Fitzpatrick also stating he was in support of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What version are they bring back though?

The actual original with wise men from the east and give you merry hell I'm all for, should've never been changed

The 2000s abomination with the added Hey Eagles at the the start can stay in the bin. The 2018 version with the hilarious trumpet at the end was better

Back