I'm disgusted. What a disgraceful club we have become.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players are cooked. I've no doubt half of them wouldn't be playing if we had a full squad to pick from.

In a perverse sort of the way these endless losses do tell us who cuts it at this level and who does not, because all of our recent draftees are getting an extended run whether merited or not.

Players like Waterman and Culley have definitely proven they are first 22 while ones like Clark and XON are probably prime delisting candidates.

Spot on, and been the sane since inception in 1987, it’s a culture thing as no coach or group of players has been able to back it up year after year in a window.
If we ever win Back to Back flags or threepeat that would have to ranked best ever in history

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Firing Simpson is not the answer at the moment given the huge soft cap tax we would have to pay. There is no short term fix, but we can do the following:
1. Keep drafting top end talent (don’t succumb to short term trades like Freo have done with Jackson, Hogan etc)
2. Retire Nic Nat, Shuey, Hurn, Yeo and Gov in the next two years (at least 2 this year) so that we have a fit list and depth in the WAFL for development
3. Install new leadership in medical/S&C (sorry Kofoed)
4. Develop a succession plan for Nisbett and start the recruitment process for new CEO
5. Assess Simpson’s prospects with 12 months to go on his contract, and in all likelihood look for a new coach then.
6. Bring in experienced players through free agents and trades that don’t cost much (eg Robertson)

Money is no issue to the club, if the right thing to do is get rid of Simmo then we are the one club that can do it.
But we won’t as money is more important than football at our club.

In a perverse sort of the way these endless losses do tell us who cuts it at this level and who does not, because all of our recent draftees are getting an extended run whether merited or not.

Players like Waterman and Culley have definitely proven they are first 22 while ones like Clark and XON are probably prime delisting candidates.
You didnt watch waterman yesterday? - I admit he was hard to find. Hopelessly off the pace of the game and could not compete one on one. There in lies the problem with BF and the fanboy club. XON, who I am not a fan of in particular, had a better game than most.

You didnt watch waterman yesterday? - I admit he was hard to find. Hopelessly off the pace of the game and could not compete one on one. There in lies the problem with BF and the fanboy club. XON, who I am not a fan of in particular, had a better game than most.

Most of our team were s**t yesterday but you'd be an idiot to deny that he has been one of our few shining lights in the first six games. XON being somewhat okay should not result in you ignoring him being largely mediocre and even omitted this year.

I will be you my life savings that when it comes time to shake up the list, that XON will be disposed of before Waterman. Guaranteed.

Every interview I've heard from experienced Victorians who move to WCE say that they never realised how much the constant travel takes out of you.

It never gets mentioned in media though or as a throw away line

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Media always talk about how hard it is to win after playing in Perth. Got to be something in it.

Wow, shocked that a guy playing as a key forward in a team that got absolutely hammered in the middle of the ground didn't have a good game....

What i hated was the last two years we wasted thinking we were still contenders - that’s what pissed me off.

This is probably the most frustrating part for me too. Our team has underperformed since 2019 and the old gameplan was obviously dead in the water by 2020. The club has just been too slow to identify these issues, to respond and renew. Yes we've mostly drafted well lately but we still went into 2023 with lofty hopes pinned on our continually injured and largely washed up senior players... (to the extent that a couple of them may have signed extensions recently.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is probably the most frustrating part for me too. Our team has underperformed since 2019 and the old gameplan was obviously dead in the water by 2020. The club has just been too slow to identify these issues, to respond and renew. Yes we've mostly drafted well lately but we still went into 2023 with lofty hopes pinned on our continually injured and largely washed up senior players... (to the extent that a couple of them may have signed extensions recently.)
Any other club would have shuey playing off a back flank or a forward pocket.

We put him on a back flank then have him sprint into the midfield when the ball is bounced.

PINGGGGG

Don't stone me to death here but this wouldn't be the worst year to finish dead last.

Clear number 1 pick and touted as a generational talent. He's a country boy and not a Vic Metro mummies boy so there's a chance we could convince him this is the place to be. If not there will be more than enough clubs that will throw up multiple first rounders to get him.

Added bonus is the first pick of night 2. Historically clubs gets overs for this pick if they are prepared to trade it and with a draft that apparently bats very deep into the second round there will almost certainly be clubs falling over themselves to get this pick for their perceived slider.

Yeah, we get another spoon but if it catapults us back up the ladder faster then maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I'm not advocating for us to tank but there won't be any tears from me if we finish dead last.
A forced tank is almost the ideal scenario here. Based on our first 3 games I reckon we’d have won enough games this year to be in no man’s land, potentially delaying the rebuild by not getting the top end picks and our team thinking they still have what it takes.

This will give us an absolute weapon to add to an already promising young midfield plus also give us a good opportunity to move on from a lot of the old guard. Reid this year, English next year and we’re all of a sudden back on track once again

He was crook in the couple of days before the game. Probably played under duress like some others.

Any other club would have shuey playing off a back flank or a forward pocket.

We put him on a back flank then have him sprint into the midfield when the ball is bounced.

PINGGGGG

Yeah there's nowhere and no way to hide dodgy hammies at AFL level. The evidence has been there for 4 straight years. If he's on the ground, eventually he's gonna re-hurt it.

I am finding this thread cathartic.

It is reassuring to know there are others out there finding this season just as painful as I am.

We need change. But we will eventually find our way back to finals.

There has been few positives this year, but Allen, Culley, Longy, Ginbey, Kelly, BBBW etc have be great to watch at times.

A forced tank is almost the ideal scenario here. Based on our first 3 games I reckon we’d have won enough games this year to be in no man’s land, potentially delaying the rebuild by not getting the top end picks and our team thinking they still have what it takes.

This will give us an absolute weapon to add to an already promising young midfield plus also give us a good opportunity to move on from a lot of the old guard. Reid this year, English next year and we’re all of a sudden back on track once again

As tempting as it is I think tanking is very toxic for the culture and can take years to recover (eg Melbourne, Carlton after all of their top picks). Would not want to go down that route

To be honest I really don't understand why all the angst over this one particular game, and I'm not an overly positive club can't do anything wrong guy, I've been critical of the club all the time.
But if you've been paying any attention at all for the last 18-24 months we were always going to be terrible this year, we were highly likely to get a decent number of injuries to the older guys and we knew the younger guys we've drafted weren't going to be able to carry the team yet.
I just really don't see why all the nuff-nuffs are suddenly coming out of the woodwork to throw their toys out of the cot, losses like this were a pretty good chance of happening given where we are in our rebuild.

There's plenty of positives to take from this year so far.
We're likely to get the top pick in the MSD which is a very handy pick to have, essentially gives us the equivalent of an extra second rounder in this years draft, but we just get it a few months earlier.
We've seen the new game plan in action, it holds up and is a fair bit more exciting to watch than the old stop, hold up play and chip around the backline one we've been using, we just need some better players in the side to use it successfully.
We've likely weeded out a few fringe players who definitely aren't going to make it and found some fringe guys who look like they definitely will now.
Largely the effort and intensity we've been missing from the last 2 or 3 seasons has shown up, albeit it hasn't been consistently there in all games and all four quarters, but we know that the players we have are capable of it.

We're definitely going to get smashed like this again before the season is over, maybe a few times, particularly when other teams get on top of our midfield which is what happened yesterday for virtually the entire game. People can complain about our backline all they want but when we're getting destroyed in the middle there isn't a lot the backline can do to stop it.

That being said the club isn't perfect, I agree with people saying we need to see a succession plan for Nisbett and some new blood running the club to bring in new ideas and push the club forward into the future. Happy to leave Simpson where he is for now, he's shown that he can adapt and with 2.5 seasons left on his contract he's not going anywhere yet anyway. We do need to review his tenure next year though, gauge where he's at and if he's the right coach moving forward.
Also....the song....for the love of god we need to do something about the song because I don't want to hear this version of it every week once we start winning lots again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back