Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

So with the club hurtling towards pick 1 and there has been a lot of debate about it, what do you think the club should do?

Still some time before the draft but Harley Reid is being described as a generational talent, with a big gulf to the next tier of player down.

Go for Reid and the potential megastar, or split it like last year and go for multiple picks if given a godfather deal.

The only way I'm trading pick one is if we're offered multiple picks in the top 10 and another in the 15 range. If Vic clubs want him then make them pay heavily for him.

If not, then draft him and back the club to be able to convince him to stay long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would be absolutely stupid to not take Reid. It's a no brainer no team is giving 3 top ten picks up so forget about that.

As others have said trade to get Gold Coasts 1st this year and you have 2 first rounders.

Then target English and Taylor in free agency the following year. Hopefully land both but at least one.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do that when you can get Taylor for free a year later if he wants to come home and that's a big if

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Guarantees we get him, I think Taylor would be a better addition to the team than English (who I could take or leave) so I'd be ok going a year early on Taylor (but not English) as long as it doesn't cost too much. 3 top 10 picks for pick 1 are a pipe dream imo.

Let the championships give a better indicator of value. Its all hype at the moment.

Allies belting WA at half time - some quality run and skill level on show. WA look slow, don't have a level or run across their game and their disposal is iffy. Could be a few Sheeds in there. Look widely to identify the best then decide.

As an aside what's wrong with the development programme in WA based on a small sample of two quarters?

This indicates there may be some quality deeper outside WA - this could, but eventually may not, support the idea of splitting pick 1. Also, we could look at bundling lower picks to move up. My may concern is that we haven't shown the ability to identify talent so just take the best as agreed by others.

To me it's multiple top 10 picks (and I would say at least one top 5) plus a quality, reasonably young player. If that's not on the table just take Reid.

More importantly I don't see how any club has the currency to get it done without trading out a very good player.

What about 4,6 and Taylor for the same going back

I reckon you take that every day of the week if they offered that. Not sure they'd be content with 1 and 19/F2 tho.

Then go after English and/or Naughton as FAs.

I think GWS with all of their big monied departures would be more capable of matching, so we'd need to pony up if we wanted him in a couple years.

I reckon you take that every day of the week if they offered that. Not sure they'd be content with 1 and 19/F2 tho.

Then go after English and/or Naughton as FAs.

I think GWS with all of their big monied departures would be more capable of matching, so we'd need to pony up if we wanted him in a couple years.
Yeah I doubt they'd go for it either, but that's what I'd take for pick 1, otherwise just take Reid

Keep it, if he shines immensely and wants to leave (unlikely after 2 years) but say after 4 at least we will have some mega leverage to trade with. Gambling our hopes on some lower picks shining through is a huge risk.

If we do get offered something like 4,6 and a future first or 3 x top 10 for 1 - which in all honesty I don't think is realistic without something half decent going back - I can't see us getting anything better than that in four years time.

Even if a club has the capital then, which is no guarantee, Reid might be still finding his feet and clubs are more likely than not going to want to preserve their draft capital with Tasmania around the corner.

Imo, if we want to turn 1/Reid into a trade/draft haul, the time is now not in four years.

If we do get offered something like 4,6 and a future first or 3 x top 10 for 1 - which in all honesty I don't think is realistic without something half decent going back - I can't see us getting anything better than that in four years time.

Even if a club has the capital then, which is no guarantee, Reid might be still finding his feet and clubs are more likely than not going to want to preserve their draft capital with Tasmania around the corner.

Imo, if we want to turn 1/Reid into a trade/draft haul, the time is now not in four years.

The benefit to doing it now is you're selling the hope of Reid, and we can trade to whoever offers us the best deal. Once he's on our list if he wants to leave he can nominate a team and we might be shoehorned into accepting a subpar deal.

Teams are rising and falling a little too sporadically for me to be enticed by any future picks in the deal. I'd rather swap that component out for a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back