List Mgmt. Poll - What stops JTR (Minimum trade for Pick 1)

What is the minimum trade you would accept for Pick 1 (Harley Reid)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade period (for players) is all but done and as the dust settles it’s now apparent the only viable suitor for any potential trade of pick 1 is North Melbourne. Armed with a trio of end of R1 priority picks spread over 2 years plus a fortuitous FA compo pick (3) for McKay they end trade week with picks 2,3,15,17,18.

No other club comes close to having the same arsenal to trade up. The next best (Hawthorn) reportedly had their offer of pick 4, their F1 and Brockman knocked back by West Coast, setting a high bar that rules out everyone bar North

Our list manager, Rohan O’Brien, remains open to trading the first pick of the draft for an unspecified price. If the pick isn’t traded, everyone not named Sam McClure expects West Coast will draft Harley Reid

As mentioned, North have the picks at their disposal, should they choose, to convince West Coast to part with pick 1. So the poll question becomes what is the minimum trade offer that posters believe necessary to relinquish Reid

I’ve made some assumptions when coming up with the poll options :

1) Any offer that doesn’t include pick 2 won’t be accepted. Hawthorn’s offer wasn’t unreasonable but presumably wasn’t accepted because pick 4 is too far down the order. And if we’re going to pass on the best player in the draft we aren’t going to give North access to the best two, so pick 3 I’ve ruled out as an option (unless it is with pick 2 as well)
2) North have 5x 1st round picks currently. I’m assuming they’ll want to hold on to at least 3 and preferably 4 first round picks after any trade for pick 1
3) While it’s possible an eventual trade might include an extra pick from West Coast I’ve ignored that possibility from the options for simplicity.
4) North have enough 2023 picks to do a trade so I’ve left out any future picks as I don’t think they’ll be a part of any trade
5) Whilst North have sufficient picks there’s a gap in value between pick 3 and 15 that has the potential to create an impasse. With that in mind, Melbourne with picks 6 and 11 could be brought in as a circuit breaker by trading those picks for pick 3 and leaving picks 2,6,11,15,17,18 as tradeable options

Which leaves the following poll options in order of worst to best - on the assumption that North make the offer what would it need to be for you to accept the trade

1) Picks 2 and 15 - the absolute minimum being the best of their late first rounders

2) Picks 2 and 11 - a slight improvement on (1) which involves Melbourne and means North effectively trade out 2&3 for 1&6 leaving us with 2&11 (for 1)

3) Picks 2,17 and 18 - two later picks (17,18) trumps one slightly earlier pick (11) and can be done without involving Melbourne. Leaves North with 1,3,15 but with the option of splitting 3 into 6 and 11

4) Picks 2,11 and 15 - this again involves Melbourne giving us better options along with 2 and leaves North with 1&6 (for 2,3,15) plus 17&18

5) Picks 2 and 6 - pick 6 likely gives us access to Curtin and would be preferable to 11 and 15 given the drop off in talent after pick 10ish. North are trading 2&3 for 1&11 whilst retaining 15,17,18

6) Picks 2,6 and 17 - because why not take 17 as well giving us a 3rd first round pick. North still have 11,15 and 18 to go with Reid

7) Picks 2 and 3 - according to Jay Clark this is our asking price and is most likely the sort of godfather offer guaranteed to get our attention. This also gives us the opportunity to further split 3 into 6 and 11 as an alternative

8) Picks 2 and 3 plus - acknowledging that some supporters are completely wedded to drafting Reid such that even picks 2 and 3 aren’t enough and something more would be needed

9) JTR - no trade, we’re closed for business. Just Take Reid.

Finally, this is not what you think will be offered by North or what you think West Coast will accept. It is about what, if it was your decision, would you need North to offer as a minimum to trade pick 1

Last edited:
2, 6 and 17 would be a very, very strong offer. We’d be silly not to take it. I doubt they go that high to be honest.

As much as I want to see how good this guy is (and I voted accordingly), I can’t help but feel this #1 pick will buy us a 3 year (at most) ticket to The Harley Reid Show - when is he leaving, how can he stay there, Collingwood are offering $12m/8 Years, Hawthorn $15m/10 years, he really should leave, it’s expected he leaves, ‘Footy’s worst kept secret’ etc etc

The external pressure to even retain him will come IMMEDIATELY.

Harley himself….I don’t think he minds the attention - his managers (Paul Connors and co.) are already pimping him out, greasing palms of media scum bags like Sam McLure and the kid is talking about his clever answers in club interviews.
This isn’t the intelligent and reserved young Chris Judd we are dealing with here.

There is just something about this whole thing that makes me feel our club will be a small part in the story - the jilted lover - the ‘holding pattern’ before Harley finally ‘comes home’ - too big for little old Perth, he needs the bright lights of the ‘big city’ (and all that crap.)

Do we REALLY need that? Considering the current state of the club and the playing list?

Do we effectively risk wasting 2-3 years building a midfield/future around this guy only to have him bail - nominate a ‘contender’ and scrap together a ‘decent deal’ from the only club he will agree to be traded to?

Just a gut feel from this kid. Hope I am wrong.

2, 6 and 17 would be a very, very strong offer. We’d be silly not to take it. I doubt they go that high to be honest.

As much as I want to see how good this guy is (and I voted accordingly), I can’t help but feel this #1 pick will buy us a 3 year (at most) ticket to The Harley Reid Show - when is he leaving, how can he stay there, Collingwood are offering $12m/8 Years, Hawthorn $15m/10 years, he really should leave, it’s expected he leaves, ‘Footy’s worst kept secret’ etc etc

Harley himself….I don’t think he minds the attention - his managers (Paul Connors and co.) are already pimping him out, greasing palms of media scum bags like Sam McLure and the kid is talking about his clever answers in club interviews.
This isn’t the intelligent and reserved young Chris Judd we are dealing with here.

There is just something about this whole thing that makes me feel our club will be a small part in the story - the jilted lover - the ‘holding pattern’ before Harley finally ‘comes home’ - too big for little old Perth, he needs the bright lights of the ‘big city’ (and all that crap.)

Do we REALLY need that? Considering the current state of the club and the playing list?

Do we effectively risk wasting 2-3 years building a midfield/future around this guy only to have him bail - nominate a ‘contender’ and scrap together a ‘decent deal’ from the only club he will agree to be traded to?

I hope you’re wrong

Yeah we would have to get our s**t together on and off the field pretty quickly to instil confidence that we aren’t going to remain a rabble and are worth staying at. Not convinced we can achieve that.

The media circus around him the past few weeks is so far unlike anything we’ve ever seen before when it comes to a draftee. It’s not likely to stop once drafted, as you suggest

Firstly there are no sweeteners of pick going back.

Then it's

2 F1 15

I feel we have to get 3 or F1 as part of it or no deal. This can be split.

Crows
10 14 and F2

Dee's
6 10

GWS
7 16

Then ultimately 1 becomes

2 10 14 15 F2
Or
2 6 10 15
Or
2 7 15 16

Then we can see how to package 37 58.for a F2 with someone.

And take the above 4 picks and 23 into the draft.

And ultimately we retain our entire 2024 picks and may pick up another F2

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

This also worries me

2, 6, 17 I’d do if we think we can get Curtin there

Yeah we would have to get our s**t together on and off the field pretty quickly to instil confidence that we aren’t going to remain a rabble and are worth staying at. Not convinced we can achieve that.

The media circus around him the past few weeks is so far unlike anything we’ve ever seen before when it comes to a draftee. It’s not likely to stop once drafted, as you suggest
It would be an incredibly flaccid move to not draft him based on that

I am glad all options start 2 and not 3 (derp)

As much as I want Reid, if 2 & 3 is offered, it would seem disingeniuos not to take it, it is a godfather offer without precedent

That said, I don't think 2 & 3 will be offered, norf on principle can't do it, because they were norf enough to win their last game

I am a little worried pick 2 and another top 10 pick will be offered somehow, which might be accepted, but if that still lands us McKercher and Curtin, that's an amazing haul.

Consider if norf wasn't norf, we would only have pick 3 and no leverage!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to break it to you guys, but I feel like 2 and 6 would do it for pieman. This 3 way trade makes sense for all teams:

Norf in: 1, 11
Norf out: 2, 3

Norf can take Murphy at 11 and then say that "we had him ranked 7th on our board, no really."

Melb in: 3
Melb out: 6, 11

They get their guy in Durrsma.

WCE in: 2, 6
WCE out: 1

1. Reid
2. McKercher
3. Durrsma
4. Watson
5. Sanders
6. Curtin

We end up with the best pure midfielder and the number one ranked WA boy.

Nope F1 has to be in play to break even.

Mckercher + finn O Sullivan/Draper >>>>> mckercher + dursma/Curtin/Sanders

The first guarantees that we have 2 good midfielder and elimates a dud.

We don't know if Curtin can make it at afl level. We don't know if dursma can be any more then a Hff
As for safe Sanders well next year's top 5 is on par with him. He's is safe though

Mckercher + O Sullivan + Draper/Weddle
Can exceed
Reid + Finn O Sulliva

If we trade Reid I'm never mother ******* move past the anger stage on the five stages of grief

Last edited:

What in our history of never being down for long makes you think we will be down for long?

I'm not across this like others are, but McKercher at 2 and split 3 to maybe get Curtin or Sanders around 7 and another first rounder in the teens based on needs would be a great haul.

I’d probably err on the side of JTR but 2, 6 and 17 is the threshold at which I’d seriously consider it. I actually think that’s better than 2 and 3.

McKercher & Duursma vs;
McKercher, Curtin & Collard.
I think if we got 2 and 3 we could easily trade 3 for more value than 6 and 17

Back