List Mgmt. Welcome Tyler Brockman (traded for picks 44 and 63)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pace, skill and pressure.

Adds something to the forward half that has been in very short supply.

Showed glimpses during his time at the Hawks, but their style of play was not really favourable to him.

Give him space and a license to run off his opponent toward goal and he has all the facets of being an extremely damaging player.

Ceiling is possibly similar to that of S.Bolton, but it will take a lot of work on improving endurance and midfield understanding to bring that anywhere near fruition.

Nearer term, I can see him facilitating a similar role to what B.Hill has done so successfully at Collingwood this year - occupying starting positions that support the midfield, then running with pace ahead of his opponent into space up forward.

If he is able to do that successfully, it will become a valuable (and damaging) point of difference in our forward arsenal.

Very happy with this pickup. A 3rd round pick and some change in a horribly shallow draft year for one of the highest potential ceiling forward half players in the competition.

Welcome to West Coast, Tyler, back where you belong.

Rapt to get him to the club, and for mine probably offsets the likelihood we won’t get Collard in the draft this year.

Watching him play with that 33 on his back, some of his moves remind me so much of Cyril.

Missing Ryan for much of this year has meant we have lacked genuine X factor. Allen has been Mr Reliable, but if we didn’t get him on the lead we did find it difficult to score.

Having someone who can pull something out of nothing but also defend is genuinely exciting. Can’t wait to see him out there in the blue and gold.

Also, FWIW, I think the hawks are in the 8-12 bracket next year. I don’t think they are bottom 4. So that F1 could have been as high as 10 or 11 by the time academy and likely FA compensations are involved. Especially throwing in someone like Reid into that mix.

Disappointed to lose Brockman and for such a cheap price, eagles have got there self quiet the steal!

Highly rated at the Hawks, we had big hopes and plans for Brocky. We even gave him Riolis #33. Has X factor, goal kicking skill, pressure acts and speed.

Just needs to perform consistently and being home with family support for his twin girls may give him the peace of mind required to focus on his footy.

All the best Brocky

I'm fully convinced that Brockman can be an elite, AA level forward. His attacking game really does remind me of Cyril at times. He has a fantastic ability to read the ball in the air and jump and twist his body in clever ways to protect it. He has fantastic footy IQ when making quick decisions in a contest with things like drawing players before disposing, tap ons, sensing where his team mates have advantage etc. And his confidence was really starting to grow to the point where he was getting more involved in link up play through half forward and not just sitting deep and waiting for the game to come to him.

He struggled with toughness and the defensive side of his game in his first year and a bit. But you can see that he already started to improve there.

He is a very high impact per involvement kind of player and was one of my favourites at Hawthorn. He's the kind of player that makes footy worth watching. I think the Eagles have themselves a steal.

I just hope your blokes can get the ball inside 50 often enough that I can actually see him do his thing over the next few years! :p

Disappointed to lose Brockman and for such a cheap price, eagles have got there self quiet the steal!

Highly rated at the Hawks, we had big hopes and plans for Brocky. We even gave him Riolis #33. Has X factor, goal kicking skill, pressure acts and speed.

Just needs to perform consistently and being home with family support for his twin girls may give him the peace of mind required to focus on his footy.

All the best Brocky

I'm fully convinced that Brockman can be an elite, AA level forward. His attacking game really does remind me of Cyril at times. He has a fantastic ability to read the ball in the air and jump and twist his body in clever ways to protect it. He has fantastic footy IQ when making quick decisions in a contest with things like drawing players before disposing, tap ons, sensing where his team mates have advantage etc. And his confidence was really starting to grow to the point where he was getting more involved in link up play through half forward and not just sitting deep and waiting for the game to come to him.

He struggled with toughness and the defensive side of his game in his first year and a bit. But you can see that he already started to improve there.

He is a very high impact per involvement kind of player and was one of my favourites at Hawthorn. He's the kind of player that makes footy worth watching. I think the Eagles have themselves a steal.

I just hope your blokes can get the ball inside 50 often enough that I can actually see him do his thing over the next few years! :p

I really hope this is all true , but I still think he’s not a sure thing to succeed, genuine 50/50 , reminds me a bit of the Brendan Ah Chee trade we did a few years back has all the talent in the world his former team rated him highly, but can he do it consistently enough? from his time at the hawks he sure didn’t look like he could, specially now that he’s in an even worse team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope this is all true , but I still think he’s not a sure thing to succeed, genuine 50/50 , reminds me a bit of the Brendan Ah Chee trade we did a few years back has all the talent in the world his former team rated him highly, but can he do it consistently enough? from his time at the hawks he sure didn’t look like he could, specially now that he’s in an even worse team.
Being home with family I feel will be the difference. It will make the player ….

Brocky is a better player than Ah Chee! Just needs the right environment to flourish …. Close to home will see him flourish.

Being home with family I feel will be the difference. It will make the player ….

Brocky is a better player than Ah Chee! Just needs the right environment to flourish …. Close to home will see him flourish.

From his early development, could you see him growing into a Shai Bolton type? Or would there be question marks on his tank and/or game sense to be able to evolve that way. Seems to have the athleticism and skill set that could end up pretty deadly

Brockman is only 20, not many small forwards are overly consistent at that age.

From his early development, could you see him growing into a Shai Bolton type? Or would there be question marks on his tank and/or game sense to be able to evolve that way. Seems to have the athleticism and skill set that could end up pretty deadly
In my opinion a cross between Bolton and Cyril Rioli, his fitness is not bad but will improve!

I think family support for his twins, means he will be able to focus more when he is at training. There fore everything else will improve as he goes naturally.

Good article on Brockman. Even happier we’ve got him after reading it

Would have drafted him in 2020 but Hawks got him just before our first pick (52 - Luke Edwards)

Tyler Brockman might have been an Eagle much sooner.
The kid who grew up barracking for West Coast before shifting allegiances to align with his uncle Greg Broughton’s career – first to Fremantle, then to Gold Coast, then back to West Coast – was on the Eagles’ radar as far back as 2020.

On draft night three years ago, as the pick numbers crept into the 40s and his name was still on the table, Brockman knew he was going to end up at one of two clubs: the Eagles or Hawthorn.

“They were both pretty keen,” he recalled.

The Eagles were keen enough that, as Brockman got closer to their picks in the 50s that eventually got them Luke Edwards and Isiah Winder, they tried ringing a few other clubs to see if they could creep up the order.

“It was when we had picks out the back so we didn’t really have the tools to do it,” recruiter Rohan O’Brien said on Thursday. “We were just holding our breath hoping that he might have gotten through. You try and do a few things on draft night and he was one we looked at getting but I don’t think we even got close, to be truthful.”

The Eagles have their man now.

Brockman was traded back to West Coast from Hawthorn at the age of 20 after 11 games for 10 goals as a teenager in 2021 and a further 15 for 13 goals this season.

Brockman liked the Eagles because of Liam Ryan – a friendship which blossomed when they were playing for different AFL teams a nation apart and not when they were briefly together at the same WAFL club Subiaco.

And the Eagles liked Brockman, because they always have.

Brockman sees in himself a player who is around 10 games from “kicking off” at AFL level.

“I think right now I am still at that stage of getting comfortable (with the speed of the game),” he said. “I think with another 10 games I should be right. It is only going to get better.”

And he sees in the Eagles a team that, albeit two years behind the Hawks, is going to head up the ladder with a group that will grow together.

“They are like Hawthorn, still in their building process,” he said. “But I know I am going to feel comfortable at West Coast and I know that we are going to be somewhere in six or seven years.

“At Hawthorn we were going okay – still towards the bottom of the ladder but I know how good Hawthorn are going to be in the next three or four years and I think West Coast will be two or three years behind them. They are going the right way.”

O’Brien has always liked Brockman because he sees a player who seems to have poise, space and time – and has a knack for creating it for himself.

“He has just got really good footy smarts and I think that has already shown out at AFL level,” O’Brien said. “He hasn’t turned 21 yet but he looks quite composed with ball in hand, he has got good sense around goal.

“We think that he has potentially only scratched the surface with his footy as well. He has played some good footy as a forward. But I think he has game sense to play some other spots as well.

“There won’t be anything wrong if he just plays forward throughout but I suspect he might be able to get up on a wing or even come off half back with his awareness and his ball use a bit.”

O’Brien said the ability to create time and space was “a good thing to have in today’s footy because the ball pings around so much. If you have got that little bit of extra time and can create something it is a good tool to have.”

Brockman only had good things to say about Hawthorn. But he found Melbourne, with its colder weather and heavy traffic, difficult. The lure of coming home to family was strong and got stronger when he and partner Tyrah Kickett welcomed twin daughters Amaliah and Amyrah into the world last year.

It did two things to Brockman.

It made him aware of his responsibilities as a father and provider and spurred him to put in his best pre-season he ever had ahead of 2023. It also confirmed his desire to get home.

“It is wicked being at home around the family – just knowing that I have that support behind me,” he said.

Brockman’s first aim is to cement a place in the team as a forward. And the first thing that enters his mind on that front is the pressure he must bring on defenders.

“Off that anything will happen from there. Pressuring the defenders first might lead to something good,” he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back