List Mgmt. Welcome Tyler Brockman (traded for picks 44 and 63)

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Tyler.

That reported offer by Twomey is interesting as you suspect Hawthorn would be around the bottom 4 again next season.

Traded for pick 44

Replaces Rioli as a small forward

Give him 44 now Longy has moved to the pointy end of the locker room

He’ll also be next to Tyrell (Dewar) in 43

Go well Tyler

Is he good?

Hawks supporters talked him up as being a Shai Bolton type if he hits his potential.

It's a big wrap, so let's see how he develops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long changed number?

There was a tweet after Shuey’s retirement with Long standing next to Shuey in front of Shuey’s locker giving the impression Long was taking it over as No.13

Posted this in the trade thread:

Ouch. Expected, but Eagles have been able to take full advantage of their situation. (PSD, family network in WA, Freo not interested early, etc). Disagree with people saying #44 and #63 is not insulting - it's certainly at the very low end of "fair" at best.

I fully expect in five years time, the media will include this trade in their group of worst ever. Brocky's a potential top-50 player in the future (optimistic) and in an open market I would have expected him to attract an early 2nd pick.

I'm disappointed Tyler changed his mind so late in the season, after he apparently committed to staying another two years back in July. (The Eagles two extra years and the extra $$$$$ offered would certainly help make that decision!).

I don't begrudge him wanting to go home - I can only imagine how hard it was for his wife with twin bubs and no family support in Vic. I hope he can show Eagles fans what he only gave us glimpses of (except against us).

I'm not joking, whilst I was hyper critical his first year (a couple of half-hearted efforts, and couldn't see past it), I was measuring him up to Cyril, and, well there's never been another quite like him.

I think the comparisons with Shai Bolton are apt (style wise), they are similar build and move around the field in an uncannily similar fashion. I read they trained together last pre-season, as both stayed on in WA an extra few weeks. Tyler obviously a long way to go to reach that level, but I do think he has the potential to get there.

I will watch his career with interest.

Simon_Nesbit thanks for the input mate - his stats don't leap off the page and I (and probably a lot on here) haven't seen a whole lot of him playing as of yet. There seems a lot of confidence in his abilities and future prospects - have read he seems to make things happen when he has it - can you shed a bit more light on why he's so highly rated from your end?

Cheers!

Basically, the two blokes I just compared him to (Cyril and Shai) give you an idea what he could be.

He's shown similar glimpses on field - a contest where his opponent is genuinely confused how Tyler (and the ball) ended up where they are. He's extremely agile, excellent recovery and has burst pace that allows him to do things that most others simply can't. (Sounds like we should have got pick 1!)

Of course, he's not even half of those players right now, and may completely flame out if he never develops, but was easily one of the most athletically gifted players on our list. The doubts are all around consistency - fitness (endurance/stamina), consistency of effort and application across a game, or season. Will that commitment/performance come with maturity (ie Bolton), or will he fade into the background (like so many others, the requirements of professional football may be beyond his reach). As a football fan, I genuinely hope the support of the extended family lets him reach his potential.

He hasn't shown much (anything?) as part of a cohesive system (attack or defence), instead he's been used as something of an agent of chaos - offensively he was a 'get out of jail' option - kick the ball in his general location and let him go to work. Defensively, he'll win an unlikely 3-1 against through sheer effort, then later just jog behind as his opponent gets 2-3 touches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back