List Mgmt. Welcome Loch Rawlinson (Pick 1, 2023 National Rookie Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, West Perth
1700626607855.png

Sturt small forward Loch Rawlinson is the latest AFL Draft hopeful out of the Double Blues, having pieced together plenty of eye-catching moments this season. With a terrific speed-endurance combination, Rawlinson worked his way into a State Draft Combine invite off the back of a solid national carnival and SANFL Under 18s season. For the Croweaters, Rawlinson kicked a couple of goals from 11 disposals on average, and generally used his clean hands to advantage.

A nimble player in close, he is a classy talent with upside, and having the work rate to get from contest-to-contest helps. Standing at only 178cm and 72kg, Rawlinson is still only light, and therefore his contented work is an area of improvement, while his kicking consistency, particularly in full flight, is another way the South Australian can further improve. He proved a clutch player in Sturt’s run to the SANFL Under 18s Grand Final though, having a handy knack for kicking crucial goals.

In terms of interest at the next level, clubs would have been impressed by Rawlinson’s performance at the state combine. He tore up the 20m sprint with a top time of 2.894 seconds, which is elite by any standards. Rawlinson also adjusted nicely this year to becoming a much more permanent small forward, showing an understanding of where he is most likely to fit in at the next level and acquitting himself well. He can either be that crafty goalsneak or work as a hard-running high half-forward.

Seems like another Jack Petruccelle.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way the game is going speedy pressure forwards is where its at and will be good depth.

• Cripps has only a year or so at best
  • Noah is more in the Cripps mould but will no doubt pinch hit in the Midfield
  • Ryan is more a highflyer/leading forward
  • Brockman is a small forward/ HFF

Seems the type of late pick type player Richmond turned into premiership players

Liam Baker being Exhibit A

Last edited:

Cant open it because paywall

But the quoted comment is sufficient

He’s the small forward who’s excited for West Coast’s big rebuild - and Loch Rawlinson can’t wait to get started in the west after getting through a nervous draft week waiting to hear his name get called out.

Rawlinson admitted he could barely stay still on Wednesday, pacing his house in South Australia awaiting the rookie draft.

Then came a call from West Coast recruiting boss Duane Massey, who let the Sturt small forward know they’d be taking him with the first pick that afternoon.

“The last few days have been pretty uncertain and a stressful time, especially this morning. I couldn’t keep myself still,” Rawlinson told The West Australian.

“I’m so excited about what’s coming through. There’s such a good group of young players and it looks like they’re heading in the right direction.

“West Coast was always the place I wanted to (go) … since the interest was shown, they were the ones who really excited me and the club looks like it’s heading in an exciting direction. I am so excited to get over there.”

Rawlinson began the year as a midfielder for Sturt in the SANFL under-18 competition, averaging 24 touches and a goal in his first six games.

The 18-year-old finished the year playing mostly as a small forward, where he booted 10 goals in his final five games and this is where he believes he will make his mark.

“It suits my skillset a little bit better with my speed, endurance and ability to hit the scoreboard,” Rawlinson said.

“That’s where I will probably end up. I love that role and I love being able to be a defensive presence as well.

“I love the heat, so I am looking forward to getting over there in the good weather and just getting stuck in.”

Rawlinson won’t find a shortage of friends at the Eagles, with his love of surfing and the beach likely to see him connect with Reuben Ginbey and fellow draftee Clay Hall.

And he could win over the rest of the group not only with his skills on the field, but his passion for coffee.

“I am really into my coffee, I love making coffee,” he said.

“I’ve still got a while to perfect my craft, I’m definitely on the improve.”

Rawlinson began the year as a midfielder for Sturt in the SANFL under-18 competition, averaging 24 touches and a goal in his first six games.

The 18-year-old finished the year playing mostly as a small forward, where he booted 10 goals in his final five games and this is where he believes he will make his mark.

“It suits my skillset a little bit better with my speed, endurance and ability to hit the scoreboard,” Rawlinson said.

“That’s where I will probably end up. I love that role and I love being able to be a defensive presence as well.
Sounds a lot like Long.
Similar height too.

Sounds a lot like Long.
Similar height too.
Seems to be a lot to like about him. I didn't really think we would go small forward at this pick as we aren't short of them,
but now I am really happy with the selection. With his speed, it will help our defensive pressure a lot. Well done on the draft Mr. ROB.

He’s the small forward who’s excited for West Coast’s big rebuild - and Loch Rawlinson can’t wait to get started in the west after getting through a nervous draft week waiting to hear his name get called out.

Rawlinson admitted he could barely stay still on Wednesday, pacing his house in South Australia awaiting the rookie draft.

Then came a call from West Coast recruiting boss Duane Massey, who let the Sturt small forward know they’d be taking him with the first pick that afternoon.

“The last few days have been pretty uncertain and a stressful time, especially this morning. I couldn’t keep myself still,” Rawlinson told The West Australian.

“I’m so excited about what’s coming through. There’s such a good group of young players and it looks like they’re heading in the right direction.

“West Coast was always the place I wanted to (go) … since the interest was shown, they were the ones who really excited me and the club looks like it’s heading in an exciting direction. I am so excited to get over there.”

“I love the heat, so I am looking forward to getting over there in the good weather and just getting stuck in.”

Rawlinson won’t find a shortage of friends at the Eagles, with his love of surfing and the beach likely to see him connect with Reuben Ginbey and fellow draftee Clay Hall.

And he could win over the rest of the group not only with his skills on the field, but his passion for coffee.

“I am really into my coffee, I love making coffee,” he said.

“I’ve still got a while to perfect my craft, I’m definitely on the improve.”
Real ******* coffee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back