Game Day Practice Game 2024 - Roos v Saints - Moorabin- 2pm ish

Remove this Banner Ad

Most, if not all, St Kilda supporters are sex offenders - and that's a fact.
What’s the difference between the sex offenders register and the St Kilda big footy board?

Ross Lyon had a ten year gap here he wasn’t discussed much on the St Kilda big footy board.

I think apart from the obvious shuffle that had to take place and the subsequent loss of jye, we looked pretty good. The backline is still gelling but I think they could all hold their heads high. I read somewhere in this thread that someone missed McKay out there... What an odd thing to say.! Especially with the way Fred duurs looked out there. Very promising.

LDU had a bad day but will no doubt get better.
Paul Curtis had a shocker and was hardly sighted the first half. His rd 1 spot is not locked in yet and l most likely would like to have Harvey, Ford, George or Sellers in before him.
Xerri has improved a lot and did a great job today.
Scott needs to be on the wing and not HB flank and Laz needs to play either fwd or mid but not back either..
Pink and Dawson did some good things and should hold their places. Biggie was good also but if Comben is coming back the biggie is the one to make way for him.
No sure what position Powell is playing but he did struggle. Phillips played better.
Duursma is a lock for round 1. His defensive efforts need some work but he ooozes talent.
l thought Henry beat Sheezel today but its practice match and Sheezel will learn from it. he did do some good things but herny was a problem for us today.
Wardlaw got better as the game progressed.

19 point loss could have been 7 point if we didnt have a 12 point turnaround thanks to someones retaliation..

Last edited:
Northball seemed too much like Nobleball today. It was good practice, we need to work on getting through congestion against the more negative teams.
lol. nobleball would've seen 15 and 10 goals to the saints in the second and last quarters.

the team was able to correct themselves going against the wind in the last. noble would've just defended deep with no intention of scoring in those quarters. even with the wind nobleball would've just been a high defence and bombing the ball into the F50 (if we ever got our hands on the ball)

lol. nobleball would've seen 15 and 10 goals to the saints in the second and last quarters.

the team was able to correct themselves going against the wind in the last. noble would've just defended deep with no intention of scoring in those quarters. even with the wind nobleball would've just been a high defence and bombing the ball into the F50 (if we ever got our hands on the ball)

It could have been 10 goals if they kicked well, unlike Saints.

Pre game I thought our key defender stocks was looking scary, post patch it’s the midfield -

LDU 14 disposals
Philips 14
Powell 14
Wardlaw 10

That’s a recipe for 100 point thrashings
saints mids didn't get much of it either....

there weren't many stoppages today, i wouldn't have expected 30+ from LDU, phillips or wardlaw. however that doesn't mean they shouldn't have been involved in more link up passages of play.

also, LDU really needs to convert set shots....

Holy crap Duursma looks the goods. He's got this presence about him like 'gtfo my way I'm not waiting my turn I'm going to take it' If that makes sense. He looks like he wants the ball and responsibility. Perfect pick up for North. The player to watch this year

FWIW i saw TT at the game today watching the boys & hung around for the VFL.
Sad end watching young roo supporters kids still coming up to him for autographs & selfies …
What a waste & damn shame.
that's very surprising. maybe he's pulled his head in....or the saints have been calling his manager....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

more likely the penny hasnt dropped for him yet, not real smart is TT. and he wont have a manager anymore as he has nothing to manage.
Why would he get rid of his manager? Reports were his manager is already fielding calls about next year.

"Why is there so much spice in this one?" - J. Riewoldt

glances at Simpkin on the bench
I get the feeling Jack is going to be an annoying commentator in 2024 right up there with Derwayne :(

Last edited:
Moral victory to us 🙂

Started well but from around the 15min mark to half time we fumbled, made poor decisions, lacked composure, weaker in the contest, second to the footy. As poor as anything we've dished up in the past few years. Should have been 10 goals behind.

The second half was way better. Even the way we defended in the last quarter into the wind was alright. Hard game to judge given the wind and the discrepancy in scoring shots. 19 points sounds respectable, but they were probably a 6-goal better side. The problem with loading up the midfield is that when it gets beaten as it was in the first half, then we're going to look putrid.

Positives - Goater, Fisher, Stephens all good. Our tall defenders are going to be under the microscope at least until Corr & Logue are back but I think Biggie, Pinky and Dawson held up OK against King & Membrey. Duursma was the pick of the kids but George and Sheez were fine. Colby has class but maybe holds onto the ball for a split second too long - adapting to the higher pace maybe?

Negatives - The first half. Really bad. Xerri battles hard in the ruck but doesn't do much else. CCJ literally gets in the way when playing forward. Stephenson just about stuffed up everything he did. Time is ticking for Powell & Phillips - neither did enough. Simpkin must be in doubt for Round 1. Putting all hyperbole away and forgetting bias, I still can't think of a more stupid, malicious act on a football field in recent years. There's no defence for what Webster did - it wasn't a tackle gone wrong, or bracing for contact, or an avoidable accident. It was a deliberate attempt to hurt another player. To do that in a practice match when there is heightened focus on head knocks is incredibly dumb and six should be the minimum. But we wanted no injuries and we got one to a valuable player.

Garbage Stephens did ok and is a lock.

I can only call what I saw. I’m not a hating on the guy. I hope that Stephens has a long and wonderful career with us. If you didn’t notice some of his weak moments, I’m surprised.

Between Scott, Colby, Tucker, Fisher, Shiels et al the competition for winger and flanker positions is pretty hot. Stephens is gonna want to eliminate those softer efforts quickly.

Paul Curtis had a shocker and was hardly sighted the first half. His rd 1 spot is not locked in yet and l most likely would like to have Harvey, Ford, George or Sellers in before him.
Scott needs to be on the wing and not HB flank and Laz needs to play either fwd or mid but not back either..
Pink and Dawson did some good things and should hold their places. Biggie was good also but if Comben is coming back the biggie is the one to make way for him.
No sure what position Powell is playing but he did struggle. Phillips played better.
Duursma is a lock for round 1. His defensive efforts need some work but he ooozes talent.
l thought Henry beat Sheezel today but its practice match and Sheezel will learn from it. he did do some good things but herny was a problem for us today.

19 point loss could have been 7 point if we didnt have a 12 point turnaround thanks to someones retaliation..
Barring catastrophe I can't see the bold at all even though I agree Curtis was average. Ford has barely been on the ground for weeks, Harvey would have played today if a chance, George is clearly not seen as ready. Sellers could come in and play a role IMO but hard to see it with him not getting a run. I think if Jy isn't ready they'll use it as an excuse to bring Phillips in and shuffle around him. Curtis needs to start the year better instead of taking so long to get going again. Needs to be drummed into him to do the simple stuff well. Tackle, chase, lead up all the team stuff. He is looking to win the game every time he gets the ball.

Big positive for me was Larkey turning a shocker into a good game with his burst in the 3rd. It’s what good players do, you can’t keep them down.

Only a practice match, but couldn’t be impressed with LDU’s game. Needed more touches from him, George, Powell and Phillips.

Sheezel is the SGA of the AFL. So consistent and so elite
Larkey is basically an elite player now. You simply can't ignore him, can't blanket him for 2-3 quarters and assume you got the better of him. He can and will torch you with just 10 mins of good footy. Great to have a position just locked down.

Overall couldn't have asked for more out of the pre season hit outs IMO. Great results, run and gun vs the pies rewarded and a gritty game in tough conditions against a team that is hungry. We ran out both games extremely well which shows real progress vs last year where we looked worse and worse as games went on. I'm more confident than I was even a few weeks ago that we can make some real gains this year.

All good points.

I agree wholeheartedly with the following:

-Scott to wing
-Curtis needs to improve: The silk of Duursma and the utility of Ford will be used with staples of Larkey, Zurhaar and Stephenson. There one spot and bunch of players vying for it in our forward line.
-LDU will get better but in no way can he afford to work his way into the season. He needs to be leading from the front round 1.

Big positive for me was Larkey turning a shocker into a good game with his burst in the 3rd. It’s what good players do, you can’t keep them down.

Only a practice match, but couldn’t be impressed with LDU’s game. Needed more touches from him, George, Powell and Phillips.

Sheezel is the SGA of the AFL. So consistent and so elite

I forgot this in my positives. I thought Larkey was ordinary today. Felt like he had little to no impact. Yet he kicked 3. You've got a real player when he has an impact on his worst days.

Pre game I thought our key defender stocks was looking scary, post patch it’s the midfield -

LDU 14 disposals
Philips 14
Powell 14
Wardlaw 10

That’s a recipe for 100 point thrashings
Are they the correct stats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back