• McDonald

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 63 51.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like Logan Mcdonald, I'm just concerned that Logan can't provide what Treacy does. Treacy brings the following to the team:
  • Backup ruck which is important for Darcy
  • Strength to brush off tackles
  • Tackling pressure and speed
  • Chemistry with Amiss
Logan has his own strengths that Treacy doesn't have but I feel like Josh has really contributed to both of our wins this season.
I think we could fit them all in.
Injuries will always be a concern.
Treacy can play anywhere on the spine.

I think we could fit them all in.
Injuries will always be a concern.
Treacy can play anywhere on the spine.
Treacy is gone if we get Macca. The club has the opportunity to experiment when Darcy gets back to see if it can work: 3 kps, Jackson and Darcy in the centre.

Treacy is gone if we get Macca. The club has the opportunity to experiment when Darcy gets back to see if it can work: 3 kps, Jackson and Darcy in the centre.

I think Dogga is most effective starting around the ball and working forward. Just play him at the stoppage beside Darcy

The thing is we're not gonna see that structure tested for the simple fact that any of the mids we have are flat-out better players than whoever our 4th best tall fwd is. Darcy with Triple J in the fwd line (featuring Jackson getting more involved in the contest) and whoever is the last midfielder in the team is better than Darcy with a Treacy Amiss Tabs fwd line with Jackson unicorning.

The best we can get as a preview to how Jackson playing a unique mid-fwd-2nd ruck role is spurts in games where we maybe play a tall midfielder as the 3rd fwd or have Amiss and Treacy in the fwd line with Darcy and Jackson up the ground.

Chad Warner is a brilliant player.at the end of 2025 he would be a great pick up.

Zurhaar was solid, for decent cash as a free agent I would like him. Handy forward plus handy in burst through middle.

Hope we keep the picks this year.

Chad Warner is a brilliant player.at the end of 2025 he would be a great pick up.

Zurhaar was solid, for decent cash as a free agent I would like him. Handy forward plus handy in burst through middle.

Chad Warner would be a absolute dream. Still feel like we have Johnson and Erasmus for his position though.

Why? Of all years this seems the best year to trade them because the draft seems pretty weak with weaknesses in the type of players we may want and really weak from a WA perspective.

Additionally given our list profile and the types that will be available with early picks whomever we bring in will likely get stuck at lower levels for a long time period. And if they are non-WA players they will most likely end up going home anyway because of the log jam.

I am normally a big drafting supporter but not this year. With our three 1st round picks we should bring in MacDonald or Van Rooyen or Taylor or Gulden or experienced plug gap players like Baker for the right price is more likely to pay better returns this year, or even trade to buy picks the following year, but keep drafting to maybe to a minimum.

Why? Of all years this seems the best year to trade them because the draft seems pretty weak with weaknesses in the type of players we may want and really weak from a WA perspective.

Additionally given our list profile and the types that will be available with early picks whomever we bring in will likely get stuck at lower levels for a long time period. And if they are non-WA players they will most likely end up going home anyway because of the log jam.

I am normally a big drafting supporter but not this year. With our three 1st round picks we should bring in MacDonald or Van Rooyen or Taylor or Gulden or experienced plug gap players like Baker for the right price is more likely to pay better returns this year, or even trade to buy picks the following year, but keep drafting to maybe to a minimum.
This years draft is very highly rated and there are a heap of players who would help us a lot wih a lot of line breaking mids (top 10) and some excellent small forward options 12-20

Last edited:

100%. Let's trade in a couple of experienced players that can add class to our squad. It's time.

1711201058225.png

Would love McDonald but Treacy offers alot more versatility around the ground. We're in the position where we don't need a 1-2 A-Grade FF/CHF combo when we've got one in Amiss supported by Jackson & Treacy.

I've always been confident that Treacy's our CHF for the next 10yrs and this year's already showing signs he'll get there sooner than later.
  • Pressures & tackles exceptionally well, let alone for a 195cm Key Forward
  • Starting to stick more contested marks
  • More than serviceable 2nd-3rd Ruck. Keeps our most impactful play in Jackson free to roam and rip games apart.
  • Great forward chemistry with Amiss.

I think we have built this team up to finally be competitive for a few years but we want to stay in this lane and not get back to where we fell out after about 2015, we had an opportunity back then to ensure we were on the right path for the long term, wrong ! bad drafting, lets not go down that same track again by putting all our eggs in one basket (McDonald).
I don't think he's worth wasting all our early picks, he's not been that dominating, I know he is still young but in Amiss ,Jackson and Treacy ,we don't need him, overkill.
We should use all our early picks on best available, keep bringing in the talent. Another midfielder, winger, halfback and small forward.
Players on our list such as Hughes ,Emmett, Corbett, Wagner Reidy etc .aren't going to cut it going forward when players such as Fyfe, Walters ,O'Meara, Fyfe ,and others are past it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid is a generous assessment of Zurhaar today

View attachment 1937618

Would love McDonald but Treacy offers alot more versatility around the ground. We're in the position where we don't need a 1-2 A-Grade FF/CHF combo when we've got one in Amiss supported by Jackson & Treacy.

I've always been confident that Treacy's our CHF for the next 10yrs and this year's already showing signs he'll get there sooner than later.
  • Pressures & tackles exceptionally well, let alone for a 195cm Key Forward
  • Starting to stick more contested marks
  • More than serviceable 2nd-3rd Ruck. Keeps our most impactful play in Jackson free to roam and rip games apart.
  • Great forward chemistry with Amiss.

Nah, McDonald takes Tabs spot straight away.

This years draft is very highly rated and there are a heap of players who would help us a lot wih a lot of line breaking mids (top 10) and some excellent small forward options 12-20

Whose told you it's highly rated? Who are these highly rated top 10 players?

At the moment most are sort of talking about Finn O'Sullivan as the potential first pick and he is reasonably zippy but I wouldn't call him an outright line breaker in actual games and at his size he will struggle against bigger bodies in the AFL. There are a few others around the mark but the are more like Serong style high possession inside mids (Jagger Smith, Levi Ashcroft, Sid Draper, maybe Nash King) but I am not seeing any top notch skillsets. Smillie stands out as being bigger than most mids in the draft but watching him I don't see anything outstanding compared to other years and may be more a useful flanker at the next level. There are a couple of others with better than average skillsets but that don't get enough of the ball for mine and will probably go in the teens. And of course F/S and academy picks.

I did a piece on the small forwards a while back in the draft thread and I struggle to see anyone that is using a top 20 pick on at this stage. Kako looks the most like an AFL small forward who will kick a lot of goals although I have question marks on his skillset with respect to consistency of result under pressure.

Of the WA boys Gerreyn looks to have the most potential but he is currently a ruck who still has to show that he could be a KP player at either end of the ground - I think he can make it as his marking and athleticism is good but there are still lots of outstanding question marks and few are paying attention to him so we can probably get him with the North second round if we want him. Bo Allan at this stage will most likely be the first picked but again would you spend a first round on him? He is an in between height playing half back at the moment who people are hoping to transition into the midfield.

Whose told you it's highly rated? Who are these highly rated top 10 players?

At the moment most are sort of talking about Finn O'Sullivan as the potential first pick and he is reasonably zippy but I wouldn't call him an outright line breaker in actual games and at his size he will struggle against bigger bodies in the AFL. There are a few others around the mark but the are more like Serong style high possession inside mids (Jagger Smith, Levi Ashcroft, Sid Draper, maybe Nash King) but I am not seeing any top notch skillsets. Smillie stands out as being bigger than most mids in the draft but watching him I don't see anything outstanding compared to other years and may be more a useful flanker at the next level. There are a couple of others with better than average skillsets but that don't get enough of the ball for mine and will probably go in the teens. And of course F/S and academy picks.

I did a piece on the small forwards a while back in the draft thread and I struggle to see anyone that is using a top 20 pick on at this stage. Kako looks the most like an AFL small forward who will kick a lot of goals although I have question marks on his skillset with respect to consistency of result under pressure.

Of the WA boys Gerreyn looks to have the most potential but he is currently a ruck who still has to show that he could be a KP player at either end of the ground - I think he can make it as his marking and athleticism is good but there are still lots of outstanding question marks and few are paying attention to him so we can probably get him with the North second round if we want him. Bo Allan at this stage will most likely be the first picked but again would you spend a first round on him? He is an in between height playing half back at the moment who people are hoping to transition into the midfield.
Saints second rounder? How’s Champion looking, has he played any scratch matches?

Agree with the draft being mid dominated, which is bad for us. Hopefully it changes during the year.

You know the draft a lot more than me, I just had a quick look.

Not sure how often the draft changes during the year. North also have too many mids, so small forwards will go early.

I don't rate Baker, I think Treacy is good enough that we should not trade for McDonald or van Rooyen. Getting McDonald is similar to drafting another inside mid. Does not fill a weakness.

if a small forward, or outside mid was available then I would change my mind.

If Dawson or Rankin was available I would be happy to trade for them.

I really like worner, but his is out of contract next year. Gulden is very unlikely in my opinion.

I like Zurhaar as a plug and play player. He fills a hole in our list. I don't think Sturt will make it.

Last edited:
Saints second rounder? How’s Champion looking, has he played any scratch matches?
Sorry yes Saints second rounder (North and Saints are two of the AFLs generally forgettable/mergeable teams for mine :p).

Haven't seen the pre-season games; stats show that Champion has kicked 3 goals for Subiaco seniors across 2 games (1 against Swans, 2 against West Coast) and 1 reserve game where he kicked a goal.

Barra talked about him last night as Gaff was dominating for the Beagles.
Apparently played really well to get mentioned, and was talked about NGA.
Unfortunately for them he will go early I think, will be on our radar.
We have to strike now with as much talent we can get before the drafts are
even more compromised with Tassie.
The only issue we will have if is WC get a priority pick, and that is definitely on
the cards.

Back