Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

If we kick straight, we're a young, middle of the table team with real improvement to come.

Do peeps not remember what happens when your team starts to score, instead of generating miss after miss?

We'd have won last week with our kicking boots on. Wiz would have been lauded as our next superstar small forward.

We iron out the kicking at goal, and it's on for us.

Can't believe the naysayers on here. Short memories and terrible takes all over the place.
Our midfield has had its pants pulled down two weeks in a row, suggesting goal kicking is the only issue is very very wrong.

Come on people, relax, the difference in age and games played gap is nothing to be scoffed at! Clarko era 2004-06 had growing pains that four premiership cups make us forget!! I'm also disappointed with our performance of first two games but most sides do have list demographics that are more advanced than us by 2-4 years.
Our midfield in twelve months most likely will be ;
Day pick 12
McKenzie pick 7
Ward pick 7
Plus Newcombe, worpel, Croc.
There's talent there, just give these boys some time.

Our midfield has had its pants pulled down two weeks in a row, suggesting goal kicking is the only issue is very very wrong.

The ceiling isn’t falling in though, is it?

We still could have won if we kicked straight week 1. The game would have been tighter if we kicked straight this week.

So many alarmists hitting the panic button in here. It’s week 2, and we’re a very young side.

Last edited:
The ceiling isn’t falling in though, is it?

We still could have won if we kicked straight week 1. The game would have been tighter if we kicked straight this week.

So many alarmists hitting the panic button in here. It’s weeks 2 FFS, and we’re a very young side.
We kicked 5.6
2 points were rushed
So apart from Watson kicking 1.3 it wasn’t too bad

You could see this coming if you watched the preseason closely, despite what some on here said.

I thought Mackenzie and the Wiz showed a lot tonight. I’m starting to get really worried about Ward. Something needs to change. Either play him in the centre square or drop him and play him in the centre at Box Hill. I don’t like seeing an inside mid pick 7 floating around in year 3 getting 15 outside touches on the wing.

We kicked 5.6
2 points were rushed

It's when they were missed, which was early. We had four goals total till near the death.

But if the Wiz kicked those couple before half time, the reward for the effort would be on the scoreboard, rather than in here.

Last edited:
Forwards not yet working after total overhaul. Not a shock.
Mids struggling without our BnF and a young mid profile. Not a shock.
Defence struggling to contain scores without a KPD. Not a shock.
Liked about half the game. First quarter game plan cannot happen again. It’s a development year. Loved the Wiz finally kicking one. Good to see Sicily respond. Worpel really back to his best too. Ward and Mackenzie showing signs looking forward to see where they get to by years end.
Oh and Melbourne are pretty good will be there when whips are cracking.

Were you expecting us to win every game we played while we're still developing, and kids are getting a go in the middle, or are you splitting hairs because you're disappointed?

Last edited:
Whoever (SYL) kept making a point of highlighting that Mitchell said we got first hands on it last week, well that's clearly an opposition plan. Countless times yesterday we would get the first touch they would wait then apply pressure, the ball would spill out to three of them waiting on the outside, a few handballs and an easy lead up mark in the F50. Rinse and repeat. Bombers did the same.

Hopefully Hale has cottoned onto this....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can all be very selective about stats. They won clearances against GWS! they are going to start smashing teams soon, we are looking destined for another bottom 4 finish.
DId you watch it or are you just reading stats ?

They did , but most werent quality clearances and were rebounded with interest by GWS who probably should won by 15 goals.

Yesterday there mids were great for a quarter and a half .......and that was it .
Its what happens with young players playing major roles within the team.

If we are going to 'pump up' oppo players lets at least be fair and balanced in comparison to our own .

Can’t believe Sicily named best, thought he was one of our worst out there. I don’t rate meaningless chip kicks around the backline. Hopefully Phillips gets a run next weekend, never thought Blanck would be missed so much.
After q1 he was playing a more usual role with not so much chip kicks.

If I remember correctly he was useless for his 1st 5 seasons- we need to be patient with our young players…
Ruptures his ACL before playing an AFL game - so missed all of 2015.

Won a Rising star nom in 2016, then won BOG (Daniher Medal) on QB 2017.

Twice selected in the 22under 2022 team (2016 & 2018)

Club Leading goal kicker in 2019.

Then he really became elite in 2020 with the first of 3 AA gongs.

He’s been a damn fine footballer ever since he debuted despite coming back from an ACL to do so .

His defensive effort to spoil Lewis in the last 5 minutes of the game shows people where he is at. Didn't really need to run flat chat for 70m do it, but he did. Was BOG already. Game well and truly won. He didn’t stop and gave 100 minutes of intensity.

Just watching yesterday live it again stood out that we need elite players. Ones who turn a half chance into something meaningful.

Game turners, Game breakers, match winners, whatever you want to call them. We don't currenty have them.

Everything is cookie cutter. If it doesn't come to him perfect he won't get it. Kicks and handball just off where they should be. Nothing to make you go, wow that was great play.

The closet thing was McKenzie in the last beating Gawn in the air and putting Lewis into space.

Just watching yesterday live it again stood out that we need elite players. Ones who turn a half chance into something meaningful.

Game turners, Game breakers, match winners, whatever you want to call them. We don't currenty have them.

Everything is cookie cutter. If it doesn't come to him perfect he won't get it. Kicks and handball just off where they should be. Nothing to make you go, wow that was great play.

The closet thing was McKenzie in the last beating Gawn in the air and putting Lewis into space.
That play was one of very few highlights

People see what they want. I just watched the second and third quarter and saw a young team that stopped the bleeding and controlled long periods of the game without reward. When we start converting effort into scores we're going to be more than competitive.
I saw two good quarters. I also saw two poor quarters.

That’s what sides who sit in the lowest third of the ladder tend to do against the top 4 when everyone is switched in.

It’s not to be unexpected, but after we have a few more games to assess the group, say by round 6-7, I can understand if there is a fair few “honest conversations” being held if we are struggling to get cohesion.

I'm glad you were able to spot Hodge and Mitchell after two games or their first season (Wiz has played 2 games ffs). Surprised no clubs have picked you up as a list manager with this kind of ability.

Hodge did some good things in his first game against Richmond that slide where the Richmond play went over the top of him for example.

And a few goal assists.

Sam said is his presser that he thought Breust was good on the bench, coaching the players when subbed.
Jesus, I hope this wasn't the reason he was subbed. He did kick 1 goal of our 5 goal total for the day.

This is what Topiary has been banging on about for the last 5-6 years. Hard to disagree

We kicked 5.6
2 points were rushed

The loss had nothing to do with straight kicking, Will Day being out, Melbourne is a good team or any other excuse people are throwing up. This was as bad a performance as you will see from a professional sports team. From coaches and players, who seem completely lost and out of touch. And I keep saying this, they have had 6 months to prepare for the season. This team has not been able to even play with any sort of momentum in two games now. Right now they are incapable of stringing together more than a few possessions before turning the ball over. It is inexcusable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back