Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how that first bounce wasn't called back?

The disappointment on Newc's face when Reeves taps it to Worpel, but he misses it and Petracca leaves with it.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.30.38 pm.png

5. Tell our tall forwards - don’t let your opponents mark unopposed. We’ve recruited a bunch of small forwards, so punch the ball to the ground and let them do their work.
My pet hate in football at present. I grow increasingly annoyed by 50 metre kicks downfield and seeing forwards just watching their opponent take an uncontested mark. WTF is that all about? It happens time and time again, and not just at Hawthorn. They have plenty of time to least contest the ball, but they just stand there watching. Wouldn't get away with it with some of the coaches I played under.

Reckon Stewart will break the all time intercept marks record?
Could we not have Gunstan play on Stewart? Don't let him take a mark all day, stay with him, beat him if you can and snag a few.
Big challenge i know but he could give us a bath of we don't have a plan!

Van Rooyen obliterated Chol in the ruck, that was almost the most disappointing result of the day

I thought Chol was hard done by the umps to be fair.

One occasion he completely out jumps JVR in the centre bounce for a clean clearance and gets a late whistle to call it back despite both rucks contesting. Was a real WTF moment.

Had a free kick against him because JVR refused to contest the ball.

His game would have looked better if not for those.head scratchers.

Can’t believe Sicily named best, thought he was one of our worst out there. I don’t rate meaningless chip kicks around the backline. Hopefully Phillips gets a run next weekend, never thought Blanck would be missed so much.

To me it looked as though Sicily was chasing possession’s!
Not a great look for a Captain 2 weeks in a row but completely different circumstances?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought our make shift KPD pairing wasn't disgraced again which is a positive.

Scrim I thought was one of our best. Frost wasn't as reliable as last week ball in hand but didn't make any crazy howlers like last year.

We kicked 5.6
2 points were rushed
So apart from Watson kicking 1.3 it wasn’t too bad

I love the way The Wizard gets shots on goal but for crying out loud please one of the coach’s pull him aside and tell him to run straight at the goal and kick the goal!
Do not run towards the boundary and make the shot on goal more difficult, I have no idea what he was thinking in that instance?

Last edited:
To me it looked as though Sicily was chasing possession’s!
Not a great look for a Captain 2 weeks in a row but completely different circumstances?

Agree - felt that he played a pretty selfish game and got his pants pulled down by Fritsch. Frost on the other hand stood up and put his body on line contest after contest. One if the very few senior players who stood up when we needed it

Watched the first half again . To my untrained eye on the Dees

• they know teams want to avoid kicking to Gawn , so they pretty much offer oppo 2 options . Unless they roll the dice and want to go long down the line
  • chip and try to posses through the defence and get around Gawn. Issue is if you cant keep the ball in motion moving forward , the clamp is on . Its then a wait game for a skill error, lack of patience or eventually ......down the line to Gawn
There D is so well set at the minute that your most likely going to get shuffled side to side .
- option 2 is a tricky , nasty 20-25m dart that they leave for you . Miss the kick and well you turn it over . Hit it and the marker needs to play on quickly , do so and your through . Hesitate and , clamp is back on .

They are so well set at the minute . Reality is we are not up to dealing with that type of high end set up.
Its almost death by Gawn or a thousand cuts and it wears you physically and mentally or the while the set up means they are rested .
Was very impressive .......and damn annoying frustrating for us

I reckon you need a few line breakers who also are very good kicks to get through .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not mind boggling at all. We’ve only played 2 games.

Did you really think we should just turf one of our mids after 1 poor game?
Based on his performance in the 2 pre season games he warranted selection.

If we count 2 pre season games that is now 3 out 4 games where the midfield have been soundly beaten.

We miss class ball handlers. Day & Wingard can’t get back soon enough.

Harry might not be everyone’s cup of tea but his ball handling leaves what we saw yesterday for dead. Karl is not and will never be a defender… he’s a wing/half forward. Get Dim back where he belongs. Im astounded that the coaching panel hasn’t identified key deficiencies.

I’m disillusioned by our hardness. Sicily unable to lay a tackle or hold someone half his size is concerning. That’s intent. His has been poor.

Our preparedness for the seasons start makes me crook. The preseason flogging set the tone. Too often in the last 8 years have we categorically flogged in the week leading up to the season.

Credit to Frenchie for responding sensationally and Frosty who has stood up.

In - Harry, Hus, Seamus.
Out- Watson(only for development) Finn Gunston

Last edited:
We miss class ball handlers. Day & Wingard can’t get back soon enough.

Harry might not be everyone’s cup of tea but his ball handling leaves what we saw yesterday for dead. Karl is not and will never be a defender… he’s a wing/half forward. Get Dim back where he belongs. Im astounded that the coaching panel hasn’t identified key deficiencies.

I’m disillusioned by our hardness. Sicily unable to lay a tackle or hold someone half his size is concerning. That’s intent. His has been poor.

Our preparedness for the seasons start. The preseason flogging set the tone. Too often in the last 8 years have we categorically flogged in the week leading up to the season.

In - Harry, Hus, Seamus.
Out- Watson(only for development) Finn Gunston
It was quite obvious how the start of our season was going to pan out if you didn’t have your head in the sand during our preseason games.

It was quite obvious how the start of our season was going to pan out if you didn’t have your head in the sand during our preseason games.

Absolutely. We were not a finals side. We weren’t “easing in”…
We should’ve been bloody frothing at the mouth to attack the season and setting tone. Feeling good. Bit of swagger.
Instead we threw blokes around… and half arsed it.
Our lack of preparation to start the season well has to stop. Confidence with a young group is king.
I’m actually crook to the guts by what weve turned up with.
That first qtr yesterday was amateur.

Damaging half forward at casey in fact there were murmurings about him being traded. Lucky for melbourne they didnt and if u go back to the game day threads u will find the same impatience
For a grand total of 3 VFL games.

Basically played 3 games in his first year as an AFL player (coming off the ACL) and hasn’t darkened the door of Casey ever since.

To suggest he was “next to useless” in his first 5 seasons is akin to re-writing history.

Could we not have Gunstan play on Stewart? Don't let him take a mark all day, stay with him, beat him if you can and snag a few.
Big challenge i know but he could give us a bath of we don't have a plan!
Probably one of the last players I’d suggest plays on Stewart.

Gunston can’t change direction anymore and the idea he would be able to keep up as a defensive forward seems to ignore his physical limitations.

Interesting the different coping mechanisms on this forum. Feels like it’s either

a) This type of performance was always going to happen given xyz
b) Worst performance since Schwab was coach we’ll get smashed every week

Both equally bad takes.

We played awful, yes. Bring on the Cats and I bet you’ll see it turn fast.

One of the few positives for the day was a lot of frustrated players out there. Need to really hold each other to account. Also for those that care Worpel gave the group a bake after the game. Good to see.

This year I was really looking forward to Hawthorn having a forward line that can score. 5 goals on a dry day with 2 of the oppositions backs injured tells me we don’t.
Doesn't help when instead of kicking the ball to our forward that had a mismatch we are mucking around with it on the wing with chip kicks to contests or handballing to the feet of stationary players.

Then 30 seconds later knowing that even with a huge height advantage he wouldn't get kicked too, Chol leads out to the flank for an easy hit up with plenty of separation, McKenzie kicks it behind him to his opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back