Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been confirmed by Mitchell & Weddell in their post game interviews that nothing's wrong with Breust. His was purely a tactical (if we had such a thing) sub.
It was the classic “oldest bloke at the club off for second oldest bloke at the club”…..tactical sub.

My changes for easter Monday:

Ins: Butler, Phillips, Hustwaite, MacDonald,
Outs: Bruest, Maginness, Newcombe, Frost

Bruest: I don't know if injured if he is that's why, if not stays in the team for one more week for me and butler comes in.
Frost: Just never feel comfortable with him down back, lets see what Phillips will provide and get some games into him
Newcombe: Another, I feel is injured, if he is take him out and not risk playing him, if not injured then MacDonald doesn't get in
Maginness: Just not up to it for me. Get hustwaite into the team and give him a good run in the 1s

Should Meek come in for Reeves?

Sub - MacDonald.

Don’t be surprised if Harry Morrison gets a nod.

In: Phillips, Morrison
Out: Maginness, Gunston

There won’t be wholesale changes unless / until we are 0-4.

Out: Gunston, Finn
In: Husthwaite, Serong

Though Serong was better than Philips for BH. Great user of the ball. HH is class.

Reeves gets another week before Meek possibly replaces him.

Bruest to sub.

IN: Huss Mitchell Phillips Ramsden
OUT: Maginness Gunston Ward Breust (inj)

Amon to the Wing
Weddle on the other wing
Hardwick to the backline
Ramsden forward/relief rucking

I love this and we really need this now.

Let's play our senior players in their best positions. I like the idea off educating players on the list to play multiple roles eg Hawks (13-15). But I think it is to early for to many off these moves we need to remain competitive especially with our best midfielder out.

In Mitchell,Hustwaite,Ramsden.
out Finn,Ward,Gunston,

To be considered...
Serong / Philips. Morrison,Butler

I would be putting the acid on some senior players. Lewis to a lesser extent Nuke. Although we don't have a replacement for Lewis his performances are below his standard.

My changes for easter Monday:

Ins: Butler, Phillips, Hustwaite, MacDonald,
Outs: Bruest, Maginness, Newcombe, Frost

Bruest: I don't know if injured if he is that's why, if not stays in the team for one more week for me and butler comes in.
Frost: Just never feel comfortable with him down back, lets see what Phillips will provide and get some games into him
Newcombe: Another, I feel is injured, if he is take him out and not risk playing him, if not injured then MacDonald doesn't get in
Maginness: Just not up to it for me. Get hustwaite into the team and give him a good run in the 1s

Should Meek come in for Reeves?

Sub - MacDonald.
Frost has been our best defender so far this year. I get the general dislike for him but he has been decent.

They're incredibly well coached, but Geelongs midfield is nothing to be afraid of.

33yo Danger, Miers, Holmes, Blicavs, Parfitt and Clark isn't exactly top shelf.
We should be able to get well on top of them, and am expecting Newcombe, Nash and Ward to bounce back HARD.
If they have another down week, it'll be a bit peculiar.

I don't see a spot for Finn, and I'd swap him for Hustwaite.

Phillips was the dominant tall against Casey, and it feels like it's probably time to bring him in. We were significantly better last year when we played two KPDs + Sicily, and Phillips has earnt a spot.

It's like a 9 day turnaround, so I'm expecting Breust and Gunston to be available. If not, I wouldn't mind bringing in Seamus Mitchell for Breust/Gunston and playing him in defence. Hopefully that allows Amon to push up to the wing and Weddle to play forward of centre.

OUT: Maginness, Gunston, Breust
IN: Hustwaite, Mitchell, Phillips

What in any world is hit out win % got to do with anything? It just means u touch the ball first

He touches the ball first and doesnt tap it to advantage so whats the point?
Very simple. You can't have a high percentage of hits to advantage without first WINNING the tap.

Only 6 other ruckman in the comp win a higher percentage of taps than Reeves when I quoted those numbers.

It's a key reason Sam will keep him in the side regardless of how many marks he takes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wont be because Sam loves him

Looking forward to seeing him average 1 mark per game for the year
So, Nic Naitanui then? Similar career marks per game.

Hawks v Handbaggers on April Fools Day !

Selections for this game will be interesting, including the ‘chosen one’ (sub)

We all (exc Bradkli) *ing hate those pussies but I can only foresee a bloodbath, unless something drastically changes (game plan, selections, attitude)

Miracles can happen on Easter Monday but I have my doubts.
You never know, Geelong might play better than you think.

VFL isn't AFL, Meek looked the same through last year. Do you really think giving up one of the best hitouts to advantage ruckmen for the sake .5 more marks a game is a smart move?
This year isn’t last year. Do you think winning hitouts to advantage has helped us this year? Our midfield has been comprehensively torched. Something has to change.

VFL - Round 1

Morrison: 29 disposals - 9 marks - 9 inside 50s - 5 rebound 50s
Hustwaite: 22 disposals - 5 marks - 7 tackles
Butler: 21 disposals - 7 marks - 3 tackles - 3 goals - 2 behinds
Phillips: 21 disposals - 15 marks - 5 rebound 50s

Serong: 18 disposals - 7 marks - 3 tackles
Bennetts: 17 disposals - 8 marks - 2 tackles - 3 behinds
Meek: 15 disposals - 6 marks - 2 tackles - 5 inside 50s - 26 hit-outs - 2 goals
Mitchell: 15 disposals - 8 marks - 2 tackles
Ryan: 15 disposals - 7 marks - 2 tackles
Ramsden: 13 disposals - 7 marks - 5 hit-outs - 1 goal - 3 behinds
MacDonald: 11 disposals - 3 marks
Tucker: 7 disposals - 4 hit-outs - 1 goal
Dear: 6 disposals - 4 marks

DNP: O’Sullivan, Stephens

Phillips, Hustwaite, Butler, Meek & Ramsden would all be in the mix for selection next week.

Meek is better around the ground. Reeves better tap ruckman. Reckon Sammy gives Reeves one more week.

I'd prefer Meek over Reeves, but not sold on the pair of them... at this point.

Reeves cannot mark the ball. Hard hands.

vs

Meek is built like Tarzan, but plays like Jane.

VFL isn't AFL, Meek looked the same through last year. Do you really think giving up one of the best hitouts to advantage ruckmen for the sake .5 more marks a game is a smart move?
The one thing for Meek is that the new ruck rules have negated Reeves advantages in the ruck and probably help Meek in the ruck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back