Preview Round 3 v Sydney MCG Sunday March 31st 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney and Papley will go to town on us.
Not looking forward to it.
Usually play average all year and then play their little leggies against us.
Let's hope it's the reverse.

In: McAuliffe, MRJ, Broad, Young
Out: Dow, Trezise, Banks, McIntosh

fb- Grimes, Young, Broad
hb- Vlastuin, Miller, Short
c- Rioli, Taranto, Pickett
hf- Baker, Balta, Bolton
ff- Campbell, Lynch, Mansell
r- Nank, Dusty, Ross

i/c- Clarke, McAuliffe, Brown, MRJ
sub- LeFau

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL listed player review from the VFL.

Kane McAuliffe (31 disposals, 14 contested possessions, seven inside-50s, six clearances, one goal)

"Had an outstanding game as an inside midfielder and drove the ball inside 50 on a number of occasions. He used the ball well on the day and hit the scoreboard."

Tyler Sonsie (30 disposals, seven marks, six inside-50s, one goal)

"Found a lot of the ball. He probably didn't have his best day from a ball use point of view, but he will be better for the run. It's great to see him back into footy and finding the ball with ease straight away

Hugo Ralphsmith (25 disposals, nine marks, four rebound-50s)

"He's in fantastic form, he's strung a great month together. He's using the ball really well and his run and carry off half-back is really eye catching. His defensive work has improved immensely also."

Sam Naismith (24 disposals, nine clearances, 31 hit-outs, one goal)

"He was fantastic in the ruck, he kicked one of the better goals that you'll see from a ruckman. He had a game-high nine clearances and was a standout on the day."

Kaleb Smith (19 disposals, five marks, three clearances)

"Had his best game for the club. It's great to see him growing in confidence each and every week. He's very diligent at the club working at his game, and he's reaping the rewards from that."

Noah Cumberland (11 disposals, four inside-50s, two marks, two goals)

"Noah has played a couple of very different games over the last couple of weeks. But, the aspect of his game that has really stood out has been his defensive pressure and that's something that we really value and are definitely looking to see him continue to build. It was good to see him getting a little bit of reward on the scoreboard on the weekend, he's trending in a really positive direction.

Jacob Koschitzke (nine disposals, three marks, one goal)

"Seemed to be outnumbered all day, but never gave up. I thought his leadership was important for our young group, and he kicked an important goal for us late in the game to seal the deal."

Steely Green (four disposals, two marks)

"Steely had a much bigger impact on the game than the stat sheet suggests. His forward pressure was immense. He could have easily finished with three or four goals. If he continues to stick to his role, I'm sure that the reward for him is just around the corner."

Samson Ryan (three disposals, 10 hit-outs, one goal)

"Played very limited game time, both in the ruck and up forward. He's another that probably could have kicked three or four himself, even despite the limited game time, but I'm sure he'll get more opportunities in the coming weeks."

AFL listed player review from the VFL.

Kane McAuliffe (31 disposals, 14 contested possessions, seven inside-50s, six clearances, one goal)

"Had an outstanding game as an inside midfielder and drove the ball inside 50 on a number of occasions. He used the ball well on the day and hit the scoreboard."

Tyler Sonsie (30 disposals, seven marks, six inside-50s, one goal)

"Found a lot of the ball. He probably didn't have his best day from a ball use point of view, but he will be better for the run. It's great to see him back into footy and finding the ball with ease straight away

"He's in fantastic form, he's strung a great month together. He's using the ball really well and his run and carry off half-back is really eye catching. His defensive work has improved immensely also."

Sam Naismith (24 disposals, nine clearances, 31 hit-outs, one goal)

"He was fantastic in the ruck, he kicked one of the better goals that you'll see from a ruckman. He had a game-high nine clearances and was a standout on the day."

Kaleb Smith (19 disposals, five marks, three clearances)

"Had his best game for the club. It's great to see him growing in confidence each and every week. He's very diligent at the club working at his game, and he's reaping the rewards from that."

"Noah has played a couple of very different games over the last couple of weeks. But, the aspect of his game that has really stood out has been his defensive pressure and that's something that we really value and are definitely looking to see him continue to build. It was good to see him getting a little bit of reward on the scoreboard on the weekend, he's trending in a really positive direction.

Jacob Koschitzke (nine disposals, three marks, one goal)

"Seemed to be outnumbered all day, but never gave up. I thought his leadership was important for our young group, and he kicked an important goal for us late in the game to seal the deal."

Steely Green (four disposals, two marks)

"Steely had a much bigger impact on the game than the stat sheet suggests. His forward pressure was immense. He could have easily finished with three or four goals. If he continues to stick to his role, I'm sure that the reward for him is just around the corner."

Samson Ryan (three disposals, 10 hit-outs, one goal)

"Played very limited game time, both in the ruck and up forward. He's another that probably could have kicked three or four himself, even despite the limited game time, but I'm sure he'll get more opportunities in the coming weeks."

From that write up you’d think Mcauliffe Naismith Hugo and Cumbo are in the mix for a call up

From that write up you’d think Mcauliffe Naismith Hugo and Cumbo are in the mix for a call up
Wouldn't be against Hugo having a crack on the wing, given that Banks hasn't been able to fill the void.

Wouldn't be against Hugo having a crack on the wing, given that Banks hasn't been able to fill the void.
I'm not a huge Hugo fan, but I will admit I have noticed his contest work has definitely improved. Still don't trust his disposal, but I don't trust Kmac's either, so may as well give him one last crack.

Dropping Grimes would be a big statement but agree it needs to be done

I would also put Dusty and Bolton alongside Tarranto as primary mids. Parking them forward is a luxury we don’t have at the moment. Let some of the younger newcomers crumb or give Cumbo a shot
Agree, Dusty, Bolton and TT seems a very nice balance.

I come in peace - please consider the opponents’ feelings this week and maybe even rest combative types like Nank and Lynch in case they upset those nice wholesome Swans players. Good luck on Sunday
We hate the druggies so we disregard this request

If you are rewarding VFL form and improvement in deficient areas Hugo and Noah C have put their hands up

... it's hard to argue that Banks Dow Lefau and McIntosh did enough to hold their spots (and Tresize injured) ...

so even with Broad and Young back these two would benefit from being rewarded for their defensive improvements. Most importantly with experience at the AFL level it is more likely they will make an impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Back