Autopsy Round 5, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Far out with Harley Reid current endurance he mother ******* pulls out a 27 possession game.

Amazing! I compare HR with JHF in terms of how I want development to be. However Jason didn't pull a 27 possession game in first year

When we talk about breakout games this was Harley's not last week's.

Prime Yeo is a big reason why we are better.
Things I think we all have been pleasantly surprised about by Harley, despite the huge expectations he was already carrying
1. The burst of speed out of stoppage
2. Elite ability to shimmy out of tackles and fend off / ability to translate it to AFL so quickly
3. Pig tendencies

I think he's going to easily be a better player than JHF

Really enjoyed the win and feel more hope in this team, but I'm still trying to keep a lid on it.
The big test will be the Derby vs a team desperate for a win after 2 close losses.
After 2 competitive efforts, hoping to not see a drop in intensity in the next few games.
There are a stack of winnable home games coming up if we're good enough.

Jack Williams only had the 5 disposals but he’s playing a pretty important role giving BBBBW a spell from ruck duties. He also has a very happy knack of bobbing up with his weekly goal and I was surprised to see he was leading our tackle count at half time.

Would love to see him have a breakout game soon and kick a bag of 5 in his main role as a KPF.

POSITIVES:

The Snake
H Reid
Yeo and Kelley
Ginbey and Chesser
Darling competing even though in horrible form
Bailey Williams rocking
Witho - a whipping boy for some reason but in a team playing with confidence is kicking is a weapon

NEGATIVES:

A few selfish moments from senior players - both Kelly and Cripps had shots at goal when there were better options available. Obviously didn't impact the match but would like to see our senior players leading by example and sharing it around as the best teams are unselfish

Feels like Yeo, Reid and Kelly are all feeding off and bringing the best out of each other. We felt more potent through the middle today than we have in a long time.

There are times in the last few years where we’ve had guys in the midfield who are genuine triers but really have no right to be there at AFL level. This is so much more satisfying

Wear your Eagles jumper.
do it jewish GIF

Man loving the yeo and reid vibes.
Put it in my veins.

I'm still pumped.

Thought all the kids were good today.

Totally agree with the depressing feeling after the dogs comment. Great turnaround over the last two weeks.

Kudos to Simmo also, some good footy last two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our only really decisive win since 2021, loved the effort. That game vs Richmond in late 2021 was before it all turned to s**t, hope this win against Richmond marks a new beginning.
We absolutely destroyed GWS in rnd 2 last year.

Also went pretty well against the Pies in 2022.

Our challenge is backing it up.

47 605? or 650ish
the important numbers are the first 2.

edit, it was 47 665
wrong on both counts.
who's the 1 campaigner who couldn't get us to 666?
We had a spare seat but didn't try too hard to line a friend up to join us. Sorry mate, that's on me.

Positives

Had a beer just now and read the first 12 pages of our game day thread. The best of West Coast big footy at there finest. Upper cut yourselves Kent’s!!!!! Comedy Central.
To be fair, the 20 minutes of the game were bloody horrific and as bad as we have played in the last 2 years.
The rest...magnificent!

Jack Williams only had the 5 disposals but he’s playing a pretty important role giving BBBBW a spell from ruck duties. He also has a very happy knack of bobbing up with his weekly goal and I was surprised to see he was leading our tackle count at half time.

Would love to see him have a breakout game soon and kick a bag of 5 in his main role as a KPF.

I want us to back him in But he’s a long way off from kicking a bag of 5 (note it took Waterman till today to kick 5). In reality i’d be happy with 2-3 goals and him being more involved in the game. So far he’s bobbed up a couple times in each game but he’s also only getting like 5 touches. Need to try get +10 touches a game. He’s got a good opportunity next week against Josh Draper. While draper has been somewhat impressive, he is a lot smaller and is just as inexperienced as he is.

Aside from the typical pros & cons

POSITIVE: Watched my first full game in quite a while today (2 young kids)
NEGATIVE: When Kath Loughnan interviewed Harley on the ground after the game, my daughter decided it was time to fire up the musical toys. So I only got bits of the interview. But then in a move straight out of the bad parenting textbook, she went again just as Kath asked Harley about the jumper tug last week & what it means to be an Eagle, so I grabbed the toy & chucked (placed) it outside, which made her scream her head off & I got not a single word of his response. Serves me right.

Big fan of Kath btw. Obviously.

So, as per my post above, did anyone catch what Harley said when asked by Kath Loughnan on Fox about the jumper tug and being at the eagles "for the foreseable" future as she put it?

Pos- Jake clunking them and kicking bags. What a huge difference when contested marking is on
-TK/Yeo/Harley dominating the middle
-Hope the Chesser noise dies down for a while, the kid's young and he'll be alright
-Whatever the switch that was flicked near the end of the first quarter, can we time that to happen at the first bounce?
-Pressure, great to see us hunt in packs

Neg- Some unaccountable defense.
-The first 20 minutes. Sometimes we look reactive and guard space instead of going in and getting the ball. Maybe it was a plan to nullify Richmond early? We look a much better side when we play our own game.

A great team effort. Damn it feels good to win.

So, as per my post above, did anyone catch what Harley said when asked by Kath Loughnan on Fox about the jumper tug and being at the eagles "for the foreseable" future as she put it?

Posted just for the song discussion at the start.
Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From about 3 minutes in we have a Harley interview.
No jumper chat in amongst it.
Entirely possible its not the interview you were after.
:(

Looking at the highlights, and Bolton's goals on Hough.
1st one was pure luck as the Rioli kick in goalsquare smothered by Witherden fell in Bolton's lap & he snapped a goal
2nd was due to Rotham short pass just going over Hough's head, ball was picked up & handballed to Bolton, goal. Hough wasn't on him because he was supposed to be receiving the ball from Rotham kick.
They didn't show the 3rd goal.

Hough can hardly have his card marked for the first two.

Looking at the highlights, and Bolton's goals on Hough.
1st one was pure luck as the Rioli kick in goalsquare smothered by Witherden fell in Bolton's lap & he snapped a goal
2nd was due to Rotham short pass just going over Hough's head, ball was picked up & handballed to Bolton, goal. Hough wasn't on him because he was supposed to be receiving the ball from Rotham kick.
They didn't show the 3rd goal.

Hough can hardly have his card marked for the first two.
If you're looking at it just from a goals perspective sure. From watching the game Bolton was the best forward on the ground bar the Snake and considering for a change we dominated inside 50s that's saying something. No doubt Hough is progressing very well and has had a great start to the year but he had his colours lowered tonight, but that's no shame

Remove this Banner Ad

Back