Autopsy Round 5, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Its all based on how many flags you won* recently. Therefore based on that Richmond aren't eligible to my mind until 2054.
It's like 10 pin bowling right? Multiplicative because of back to back STRIKE!
I guess that makes 2018 their spare.

Haven’t read any of this thread yet so apologies if I cover anything already mentioned like how good is Harley

Negatives first because there aren’t many
• The first 20 minutes. Like wtf was that. I’be been liking preemptive doom posts in the game day thread for fun but we were bad
• We had 11.1 just before halftime and late in the third we were 15.4. Finished with 16.13. Could have had a monster win if we’d taken full advantage of our dominance

That’ll do for those

Positives (there’s a few lot)
• The last 5 minutes of Q1. Some unusual red time goals that got us back in a game that looked to be running away and set the foundation for what was to come
• Stoppage work was outstanding
• Aside from the early going we eliminated a lot of the shitty turnovers from earlier games
• Given their outs this was a game we probably should’ve won. Not something we’ve capitalised on previously though. Nice that we took advantage
• We actually looked like a proper cohesive football team which has been a rarity for a couple of years now
• Less broken tackles conceded and across the board we often found a way to get our hands free in tackles to dispose of the ball
• Waterman translated what he’s shown at WAFL level as a FF into the AFL. Dominant performance from him and probably should’ve had 8 or 9 but for a couple of poor setshots
• Yeo was outstanding. Complete game from him
• Ginbey had some good moments and looked to have some more confidence at times
• Reid. What can you say. If we’d had traded our first pick for 2 and 3 from North it would’ve been unders. He’s outstanding and is only 5 games into his career
• Brockman didn’t have a massive game but he’s showing glimpses of what he’s capable of once he settles into the side. Very clever footballer
• Kelly was very important in our resurrection and forms a genuinely dangerous centre square combo with the 69 boys (Yeo and Harley)
• Long working into the season and had some good touches today
• Duggan was good. Liked his physicality especially his bump on ??? that lead to a goal
• Chesser took a step forward.
• Hough fought back well against Bolton after getting touched up early
• Really good game from Petch. Is becoming a handy role player
• Witherden had a couple of poor moments but also did some really nice things as well
• Darling’s best is behind him but if he can contribute like he did today then I’m happy enough. Could’ve had 3 goals if he kicked straight
• Liked BBBW’s game. Couple of nice contested marks when we came out of defence and competed well enough in the ruck
• Didn’t mind Rothams game aside from that awful awful pass to Hough in the firsts that cost us a goal
• Other little bits :
- Maric’s chase on Rioli in the 3rd that led to a OOTF kick
- McGovern’s kick out to Petch in the centre that resulted in a coast to coast goal
- Jack Williams mark and goal in the second
- Simpson’s “* me” comment on one of the goal reviews
- the way Harley celebrates his teammates good plays
- the crowd singing along with the song post game
- more than once players had each others back in little scuffles that broke out
- some of our more usually reliable players like Hunt, Cripps and McGovern had relatively quiet games so there’s room for improvement

With the Beagles also registering a win it was a rare good day to be an Eagles fan

Let’s do it again next week- it’s kinda fun

Haven’t read any of this thread yet so apologies if I cover anything already mentioned like how good is Harley

Negatives first because there aren’t many
• The first 20 minutes. Like wtf was that. I’be been liking preemptive doom posts in the game day thread for fun but we were bad
• We had 11.1 just before halftime and late in the third we were 15.4. Finished with 16.13. Could have had a monster win if we’d taken full advantage of our dominance

That’ll do for those

Positives (there’s a few lot)
• The last 5 minutes of Q1. Some unusual red time goals that got us back in a game that looked to be running away and set the foundation for what was to come
• Stoppage work was outstanding
• Aside from the early going we eliminated a lot of the shitty turnovers from earlier games
• Given their outs this was a game we probably should’ve won. Not something we’ve capitalised on previously though. Nice that we took advantage
• We actually looked like a proper cohesive football team which has been a rarity for a couple of years now
• Less broken tackles conceded and across the board we often found a way to get our hands free in tackles to dispose of the ball
• Waterman translated what he’s shown at WAFL level as a FF into the AFL. Dominant performance from him and probably should’ve had 8 or 9 but for a couple of poor setshots
• Yeo was outstanding. Complete game from him
• Ginbey had some good moments and looked to have some more confidence at times
• Reid. What can you say. If we’d had traded our first pick for 2 and 3 from North it would’ve been unders. He’s outstanding and is only 5 games into his career
• Brockman didn’t have a massive game but he’s showing glimpses of what he’s capable of once he settles into the side. Very clever footballer
• Kelly was very important in our resurrection and forms a genuinely dangerous centre square combo with the 69 boys (Yeo and Harley)
• Long working into the season and had some good touches today
• Duggan was good. Liked his physicality especially his bump on ??? that lead to a goal
• Chesser took a step forward.
• Hough fought back well against Bolton after getting touched up early
• Really good game from Petch. Is becoming a handy role player
• Witherden had a couple of poor moments but also did some really nice things as well
• Darling’s best is behind him but if he can contribute like he did today then I’m happy enough. Could’ve had 3 goals if he kicked straight
• Liked BBBW’s game. Couple of nice contested marks when we came out of defence and competed well enough in the ruck
• Didn’t mind Rothams game aside from that awful awful pass to Hough in the firsts that cost us a goal
• Other little bits :
- Maric’s chase on Rioli in the 3rd that led to a OOTF kick
- McGovern’s kick out to Petch in the centre that resulted in a coast to coast goal
- Jack Williams mark and goal in the second
- Simpson’s “* me” comment on one of the goal reviews
- the way Harley celebrates his teammates good plays
- the crowd singing along with the song post game
- more than once players had each others back in little scuffles that broke out
- some of our more usually reliable players like Hunt, Cripps and McGovern had relatively quiet games so there’s room for improvement

With the Beagles also registering a win it was a rare good day to be an Eagles fan

Let’s do it again next week- it’s kinda fun
Good shout on Brockman. I think it was him with that scrubby along the ground kick out of half back which zipped under some tigers pressure and set up a goal. Was entirely deliberate and bloody creative.

Looking at the highlights, and Bolton's goals on Hough.
1st one was pure luck as the Rioli kick in goalsquare smothered by Witherden fell in Bolton's lap & he snapped a goal
2nd was due to Rotham short pass just going over Hough's head, ball was picked up & handballed to Bolton, goal. Hough wasn't on him because he was supposed to be receiving the ball from Rotham kick.
They didn't show the 3rd goal.

Hough can hardly have his card marked for the first two.
Third was a mark from a lead but the lead was low percentage, wide and high near the boundary. Where if you are going to lose a contest you want the oppo taking their shots.
Outside of that he was quiet outside of a pass to dusty when the game was long gone.

Strangely we only one win behind Collingwood and Brisbane Saints.

Don't want to get ahead of myself but dare I dream the F word hahah
f1665e40583fa69421ef04bce93b4697.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 goals
13 marks
14.2km covered

Last year, there was no guarantee that Jake Waterman would make it back to footy. ******* hell.

Said a while back don't be surprised if Jake came back better after losing weight and building up again. He seemed just a tad heavy last year but is now covering the ground really well and jumping strongly.

Recall him saying that he's back enjoying just being able to train strongly. So that little hicup may have matured him also. He's back enjoying just being able to train and play so mentally refreshed. Its been a tough couple of years mentally for the squad.

I didnt expect a 6 goal game though. Wowie.....

Negatives: The song is truly atrocious. Like it's that deflating the first part could be rolled on repeat as sound torture.

100%. I was all happy........charged up and ready to belt out the song.

Then reality came back.....ba....booonng........the Birds of Tokyo pre song build up started..........my positive energy was slowly being sucked away.

Why cant we just use the decent old one?

Then reality came back.....ba....booonng........the Birds of Tokyo pre song build up started..........my positive energy was slowly being sucked away.

Why cant we just use the decent old one?
Maybe contractual obligations about having to use the current one, or costs involved in bringing back the old one. Who knows...

At this point I don’t really care about the song. Just so long as they keep playing it at the end of games I’ll be happy to be sick of it.

Could it be improved? Yes, sure. Reckon most of us would get down to eagle rock, over our current song. But think like a lot of things of late the club will look to address in due course. It’s just at the bottom of a long list.

Please excuse my post here.

I can see why Melbourne tried to get Reid, he is the type of player you can build your team around for the next decade. The game needs these elite players, great to see and congrats on the win!

Yeah Melbourne played all the cards they had but it wasn’t a good enough offer (we can see why, but good on them for trying).

North however 🤣

Didn’t trade the JHF pick because they wanted the marketing appeal of pick 1…. Then are gifted a billion points by the AFL and offer 2, 500, 501 and 502 instead of a real offer.

Reckon the sales of #9 jumpers may well eclipse the nth AFL funding this year (maybe only just, it is a lot of propping up)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Positives
  • I changed my tip to the eagles sunday morning
  • Reid, not since nic nat have we had a first year player cause so much excitement when he has the ball
  • Ginbey & chesser worked their way into it after half time
  • Yeo & kelly immense
  • Gov & cripps played their part
  • Petch becoming a solid footballer
  • Career best game for waterman, was marking everything today. Hopefully he continues this and it isnt a once off.
  • I found out today while eating my nachos at the top of my block, just before half time, that the players box is behind me. saw a few of the ressie players purchasing hot food from the outlet (not sure if they get reimbursed by the club). then i see them going into the box. i recognised Culley, dewar, ryan & hewett.
  • 47k fans rocked up.
Negatives
  • The first half of the first quarter.
  • The $12.70 stadium burger. regretful purchase
  • We need to revert back to the old theme song
  • Vic media pushing for yeo to be banned for a week...fek em.

This turned out to be a good win against an injury depleted tail end of a dynasty side. Im glad i got to enjoy the moment, next weeks derby will be a good test. Hoping for the win.

Would be nice if Jake goes on with this form and puts on a 40 goal season. Not as talented or as good as Darling was in him prime but it was at the same age When Darling went that extra level in 2018.

So many positives, but the biggest was our midfield dominance from late in the first quarter. Yeo, Kelly and Reid put on a clinic and were +37 for contested footy and +23 for clearances!!! From memory they said on the telecast this was the first time in years.
Waterman was unbelievable, contested marking, leading up to the wings and 6 goals (could've been 7 or 8).

Negatives: Thought we were very wasteful in the 3rd quarter for what was complete dominance, only kicked 4.6 and a number of shots that didn't make the distance or went across the face (3 to 4 of these from memory) that were very gettable. Last quarter evened up but we really should've won by 10 goals.

But I'm pretty damn happy today!

We absolutely destroyed GWS in rnd 2 last year.

Also went pretty well against the Pies in 2022.

Our challenge is backing it up.
Wasnt it also due to accuracy? We also beat the Pies due to their inaccuracy and some luck. It didnt look like we dominated like yesterday.

I'll go a little different,
Negs
Leaving the golf course with enough time to get home, grab a beer and watch the game but forgetting I was coming from south of the river on Kwinana Fwy at the end of school holiday.
The bl00dy accident due to a rear ending at Canning Hwy that added an extra hour to the trip meaning I couldn't watch live 🤬
After nearly a 2 hour drive get home and sit down to watch us get thumped for 20 min swearing at the tv, "SITTING IN TRAFFIC FOR FOR OVER AN OUR FOR THIS CRAP"!!!!!

Pos
Went to the toilet at the last minute before leaving the golf course, thank god.
Everything after the first 20 mins of the game, wow what a turn around.
How Yeo and Reid celebrated each others goals. Seem to be pretty close.
I knew Waterman had it in him and glad it all came together, now it has to happen more often.
Still have Allen, Ryan, Flynn and even Sheed to push for selection. Plus plenty of others for a change.
I picked them on my Tips and Sportsbet, happy days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back