2nds West Adelaide vs Port Adelaide - Round 2 @ Waikerie

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we performed well in a single Russell Ebert tribute game yet?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We've won the last 2 of these games at SANFL level.
For a squad with relatively few injuries, these SANFL performances don’t say much for our depth.
To be totally fair, I think the SANFL entered a real funk and drop in quality post covid, but from what I've seen I think the comp has taken a big leap this year. The overall quality of the teams I think we're going to see by end of year has definitely jumped a cog this year.

Eagles and Norwood possibly huge movers. Glenelg, Sturt will again be there of course. Centrals looking to be continuing from last year. Might be the first year with no AFL teams in the SANFL finals.

Nickname still magpies, our club logo is the current one with the Prison Bars and monogram

I don’t see any reference to the magpies name, SANFL & AFL app don’t. I’ll take note on how the commentators call it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I guess we died when we lost our zones, juniors etc

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nah we became an AFL Club it's slightly more desirable than being an SANFL lifer with zones.

Everything could've been done under the same umbrella, but of course that would take common sense something that's not common in SA Football politics.

I don't remember him ever being great in the SANFL before he was playing AFL but did much better at the higher level. Weird how some players can do that
He was a very good goal kicker up forward, and had solid form down back 2 years before playing AFL. His main problem was his tank and lack of forward pressure.

Williams has given up I reckon
If my memory serves me correctly, my gut feel is that it is pretty common for players cut in this sort of harsh way from the best 22 to have this sorta down period. I expect he will take 3-4 weeks, with some continuity of games, for him to get his form rolling and then he'll start to be knocking on the door again.

The big concern for him has got to be Sinn. Not only have the coaches pegged Jones for going past him, but Sinn might as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad it's gone the waters are less muddy & they are an AFL reserves team.
We won't even be 'the Magpies' by this time next year. Doubt we'll be wearing that guernsey either.

Koby Ryan bog, kid realy should be on a AFL list.

My fantasy is that Koch will resign and his replacement in Tredders will sack Hinkley and the new Coach will terminate Mc Entee's contract and sign Koby Ryan in the mid year Draft. Then I wake up. :(

I too am no great fan of 2H whose main claim to fame is probably that enormous goal he scored when his immediate opponent was Koutafides, but that was years ago and it's arguably fair to say his overall career was very disappointing.

His chances of getting the Maggie's coaching gig would have been less than zero when performances there mattered to the hierarchy of the club, but there have been suggestions that he and the other coaches before him in more recent times have had limitations put on them re what changes they can make during games.

I wasn't at the game but I was told by someone who was that Tom Clurey was left on the wing against the bays when his presence as a senior player in defence may have helped stem the flow, but whether that was forced on Hartlett as part of the learning process for a younger player, as opposed to a coaching move that could have improved things is of course unknown.

I too am no great fan of 2H whose main claim to fame is probably that enormous goal he scored when his immediate opponent was Koutafides, but that was years ago and it's arguably fair to say his overall career was very disappointing.

His chances of getting the Maggie's coaching gig would have been less than zero when performances there mattered to the hierarchy of the club, but there have been suggestions that he and the other coaches before him in more recent times have had limitations put on them re what changes they can make during games.

I wasn't at the game but I was told by someone who was that Tom Clurey was left on the wing against the bays when his presence as a senior player in defence may have helped stem the flow, but whether that was forced on Hartlett as part of the learning process for a younger player, as opposed to a coaching move that could have improved things is of course unknown.
All excellent points, and yep HH got the job because he’s a puppet who’ll do what he’s told. On merit, he wouldn’t get anywhere near the gig.

But when you win every key statistical category, have hundreds of games AFL experience in the side, lead by three goals late and still lose…to me that’s more of a sign of the entrenched mediocrity which has permeated the entire club, more than the coach having his hands tied.

losses like that have become accepted with no consequences at both levels, so they will continue to happen. It was never about beating Westies, it’s about creating a club-wide winning culture.

Whatever goal you are talking about it definitely wasn't Kouta. But are you talking about the game against Carlton in 2012 when Hartlett kicked 3 all from long range.

Whatever goal you are talking about it definitely wasn't Kouta. But are you talking about the game against Carlton in 2012 when Hartlett kicked 3 all from long range.
I’d arguably say his claim to fame was the “bump” which led to a goal against Richmond in the 2014 EF, which we still toast like some sort of achievement while Richmond fans have celebrated three flags in that time 😂.

All excellent points, and yep HH got the job because he’s a puppet who’ll do what he’s told. On merit, he wouldn’t get anywhere near the gig.

But when you win every key statistical category, have hundreds of games AFL experience in the side, lead by three goals late and still lose…to me that’s more of a sign of the entrenched mediocrity which has permeated the entire club, more than the coach having his hands tied.

losses like that have become accepted with no consequences at both levels, so they will continue to happen. It was never about beating Westies, it’s about creating a club-wide winning culture.
This is the weirdest thing about ChadBro's AFL role.

When he was the SANFL coach, he coached to win not to develop players. If a senior player was needed to shift back, pushing aside the kid we were trying to develop he did it. And didn't push the kick to the pocket for a potential stoppage game plan, in an SANFL where last touch out makes that an even worse plan than in the AFL.

Its what got him replaced with Lokan, who coached Glenelg to wooden spoons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back