Roughies Boys

Cancelled
Nov 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Matthew Watson
Height: 194
Weight: 101
Left-footed tall defender with impressive marking ability and a tremendous ability to win the ball. Amazing endurance keeps him going for the entire match. Played well in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, earning All-Australian honours and averaging 19 disposals and five marks per game.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX-ew8-9GAo[/YOUTUBE]

Pat McCarthy:
Height: 196cm
Weight: 84kg
Aggressive tall defender who can go forward in a pinch. Above-average speed for a man of his size coupled with an ability to take a strong grab led him to All-Australian under-18 honours this year. Averaged 17 disposals at 70 per cent efficiency during the 2010 NAB AFL U18 Championships. He is a neat disposer of the ball and provides good rebound from defence.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ryV-U15UU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

http://draftmachine.afl.com.au/

McCarthy

Rebounding KPD's are worth their weight in gold, he is also an excellent stopper from what i have seen

Watson didn't really outperform him that much even though he is significantly more developed that McCarthy

Watson will play from round 1 though IMO

I have a few doubts over McCarthy's ability to defend on a KPP, his defensive work is a bit loose and he needs to tighten up, plays more of a Grant Birchall role rather than a CHB at the moment, yet IMO has the potential to be a Bock type CHB who can provide great run, also a possible FF on the leading types, yet struggles a bit in one-on-one contests. He has more potential than Watson though due to his superior athletic qualities.

Watson is also a very good player, and is much better in the one-on-one contests, may struggle against the lead up types, yet would be a very good match up IMO for a Jonathan Brown type. Both players are super rebounders although Watson is a better kick and McCarthy can run and carry the ball better.

They would compliment each other really well, and may both go to the GC, yet for me I would take McCarthy but it could go either way, although I think Watson might be the better KPD.

Not sure if anyone else heard but during trade week radio Sheehan stated that Watson ran a sub 3 20m sprint.

20m sprint times are totally misleading - At draft camp, Nathan Brown ran a 2.91 sec 20m sprint, Ben Reid ran a 2.93, and Alan Toovey ran a 2.94, but if you were to watch how they performed chasing guys on the lead, it would score Toovey >>> Reid >>>>>>>>> Brown.

In fact, despite Brown's impressive 20m sprint time, his biggest weakness is having to play catch up with quicker forwards.

20m sprint times are totally misleading - At draft camp, Nathan Brown ran a 2.91 sec 20m sprint, Ben Reid ran a 2.93, and Alan Toovey ran a 2.94, but if you were to watch how they performed chasing guys on the lead, it would score Toovey >>> Reid >>>>>>>>> Brown.

In fact, despite Brown's impressive 20m sprint time, his biggest weakness is having to play catch up with quicker forwards.

IMO thats more about reaction time than speed

+ Brown and Reid have had to put on a lot more weight than Toovey

Been able to run 20m under 3 seconds is great, but in a footballing sense, doesn't mean much if you can't read the play or if you have a slow reaction time.

You might be able to run fast if you prepare yourself for it, but if as a defender you are reactive, your opponent could be a few metres gone before you follow.

I think McCarthy needs to develop his defensive game - he very well might be the next Dustin Fletcher - or he may be the next Kepler Bradley.

Watson is a huge unit and looks 'too big' for his height. I have heard him likened to Hurley which isn't a bad start, however he might have to lose a bit of size to get the most out of himself.

I think both have big things to work on, so for mine I would go a Lucas Cook before both of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that's enough about Collingwood players, this threads about Watson & McCarthy if you didn't know! :p

IMO thats more about reaction time than speed

+ Brown and Reid have had to put on a lot more weight than Toovey
Yeah, but Reid's put on a lot more weight than Brown has since drafting and he'd still smoke Brown every single time.

It's a combination of play reading, physicality and a quick first 5m that benefit a defender more than simply a 20m sprint time. Slightly knocking a guy off balance right as he's about to start his lead is much more effective than just following him on the lead.

My whole point was simple that Watson running a sub 20m sprint time doesn't erase concerns about his speed - It simply means that it might not be a purely physical problem, which means he could learn.

I have a few doubts over McCarthy's ability to defend on a KPP, his defensive work is a bit loose and he needs to tighten up, plays more of a Grant Birchall role rather than a CHB at the moment, yet IMO has the potential to be a Bock type CHB who can provide great run, also a possible FF on the leading types, yet struggles a bit in one-on-one contests. He has more potential than Watson though due to his superior athletic qualities.

I agree with most of this post, I think Watson is the man more so than McCarthy. Still not sure what type of player McCarthy will defend in the AFL? I feel that the more agile players will run rings around him and push him into the midfield and the big forwards will kill him.

What is his position and who will he defend?

Watson on the other hand seems to have a few strings to his bow and one monster kick. He also reads the play well and is a smart football, gets beaten in a quarter or two and comes back with a new tactics and takes control.

Interesting times, both players are splitting the thoughts of many amateur draft watchers at the moment.

Watson the guy that we really need but I cant see him slipping to 21.

can see watson being another hawkins

dominates u18s with sheer size and strength, but found out at afl level
When I watched the video two names come to my head I dont know why cause they were both forwards Hawkins and Fergus Watts I do think he'd have to trim up a little.

Watson will slot straight into a CHB role...

Remind me a lot of Glen Jackovich!
Jakovich was mobile, tough and attacking, yet still strong enough to outmuscle Carey if the Roo tried to engage in a show of strength.

Is that Watson that good? :confused: :D

Watson would be lucky if he was as good as another left footer in Dorotich, let alone Jakovich.

I'm thinking a poor man's Ben Graham.

Or Cale Hooker with a brain.

Methinks Watson like to play like Dustin Fletcher who plays for his favourite AFL team.

Fletcher had the legspeed to make up for his lack of size, yet still struggled with power KPF who were mobile and the same height.

Jakovich was mobile, tough and attacking, yet still strong enough to outmuscle Carey if the Roo tried to engage in a show of strength.

Is that Watson that good? :confused: :D

Watson would be lucky if he was as good as another left footer in Dorotich, let alone Jakovich.

I'm thinking a poor man's Ben Graham.

Or Cale Hooker with a brain.

Methinks Watson like to play like Dustin Fletcher who plays for his favourite AFL team.

Fletcher had the legspeed to make up for his lack of size, yet still struggled with power KPF who were mobile and the same height.

Fletcher may have always been skinny, but his speed combined with being 198cm and those long arms helped him to no end. Always seemed to be able to get a fist in even when seemingly out of the contest. He has the intangibles to make up for lack of body.

Both Watson and McCarthy are interesting prospects who seem to both have just as much chance of being boom and bust. The right selection here could turn out to be crucial.

Do you think theres any chance Watson could slip to the Swans first pick at 21?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back