Free Agency Orazio Fantasia - will join Carlton as a delisted free agent, 2 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS might have offered 2 years on minimum wage, or 1 year then an option.
Carlton had to better that offer.

We didn't HAVE to...

You're also assuming he would have preferred to live in Sydney than Melbourne, where he already has a network.

He was probably swayed by the easier training regime at Carlton. Surely preseason under Kingsley was not his first choice

The first thing Voss said when he walked into Carlton was that our training has to, and will, lift brutally straight away. He said we will wear the early attrition in the wake of that, but it must be done.

The brutal lift did happen, it did come with some early attrition, but it has taken us to a new level preparation wise.

It very much seems that Kingsley did the same with you.

Hopefully we get 20 games out of the 2 years. 6 or so that help us win. 1 of the 6 or so to be against EFC.

And lets be honest, the last point is the most important just for the sh*ts n giggles.:)
Lol 20 games?

He has only played 4 in the past 2 years.

You may want to temper your expectations.

Has kicked 5+ more times than:
Rankine
Rachele
Bailey
Motlop
Schultz
Hill

That’s just from the starting forward pockets from the first four clubs alphabetically - of those clubs only Charlie Cameron and Jamie Elliott have put 5+ through on more occasions.

Pretty good company for a bloke we picked up as a DFA. Port and GWS were satisfied enough with his medical to throw him a year despite him rarely getting on the park over the past three so clearly he’s in good shape at present.

If he plays, he will be huge for us. If he doesn’t, it’s no loss. Someone will pick up Sam Simpson who hasn’t been on the park in years gone by and the same debate will rage.

I back our club him and am tentatively excited by the prospect of adding a dangerous small forward to our ranks.
He’s kicked 51 goals in 5 years
Harley bennel had more bags of 5 then Shultz

The first thing Voss said when he walked into Carlton was that our training has to, and will, lift brutally straight away. He said we will wear the early attrition in the wake of that, but it must be done.

The brutal lift did happen, it did come with some early attrition, but it has taken us to a new level preparation wise.

It very much seems that Kingsley did the same with you.
IMG_0098.jpeg

He’s kicked 51 goals in 5 years
Harley bennel had more bags of 5 then Shultz
Yes and if Harley could’ve sorted out his off field dramas he’d have been a top 5 player in the league

If you can’t see why we’d take a risk on a player with top end talent that surpasses 90% of the small forwards going around today then I don’t know what to tell you

Yes and if Harley could’ve sorted out his off field dramas he’d have been a top 5 player in the league

If you can’t see why we’d take a risk on a player with top end talent that surpasses 90% of the small forwards going around today then I don’t know what to tell you
Being a freo supporter that got hogan Dardy Harley Silvia gumbleton croad I can tell you that the risk is rarely rewarded.

Being a freo supporter that got hogan Dardy Harley Silvia gumbleton croad I can tell you that the risk is rarely rewarded.
People thought Judd’s career was over with osteitis pubis, he went on to win a brownlow

Bobby Hill had never played a full season, then he had cancer - and yet he worked out a treat for the Pies

Charlie Curnow disintegrated his knee, comes back and wins back to back Coleman’s

The risk you took with all of those players was also associated with draft capital outgoings, we’ve picked the kid up for literally nothing. If it doesn’t work out he’s simply taken LOB or Philps list spot, both of which weren’t going to be on our list in 2024 anyway.

People thought Judd’s career was over with osteitis pubis, he went on to win a brownlow

Bobby Hill had never played a full season, then he had cancer - and yet he worked out a treat for the Pies

Charlie Curnow disintegrated his knee, comes back and wins back to back Coleman’s

The risk you took with all of those players was also associated with draft capital outgoings, we’ve picked the kid up for literally nothing. If it doesn’t work out he’s simply taken LOB or Philps list spot, both of which weren’t going to be on our list in 2024 anyway.
Your examples are/were younger then oraz.
Fanta is 28
I’m not trying to dismiss your theory or upset you.
Just letting you know from experience that hopes of a changing the career path of an injured/ unprofessional player 25yrs+ are just hopes and is a rarity to succeed.
Good luck though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friend in Adelaide couldn't believe he's going again, let alone stolen a 2 year deal. Won't play more than 5 games.
Because your friend lives in Adelaide does that give his opinion more credibility? Does he personally watch him train? Is he involved in his medical treatment? What additional insight does living in Adelaide give you?

Averaged over 2 goals a game and 4 tackles in the SANFL this year, including 4 goals in a losing final. Looks like his body is right (for now).

Your examples are/were younger then oraz.
Fanta is 28
I’m not trying to dismiss your theory or upset you.
Just letting you know from experience that hopes of a changing the career path of an injured/ unprofessional player 25yrs+ are just hopes and is a rarity to succeed.
Good luck though
Sorry if I came across as hostile, sometimes tone can be lost especially on forums.

I know you aren’t trying to be dismissive or a dick, just making your point. I get it man, no stress!

Feels like a move a team already challenging for a flag makes as the extra cream on top, low risk, high reward. The Blues, even with the impressive back half of the season still aren’t in that echelon. Making finals again would be a success in my eyes.

If you reject a third year rookie contract (see Massimo D’Ambrosio) then you are a DFA
efa

You have to have been a rookie for two years in the first place for that rule to come into effect. Fantasia isn't one, so he's under the normal 8 years service rule (which he would've qualified for if he'd played another year at Essendon, but he was traded early so the counter starts again from zero).

efa

You have to have been a rookie for two years in the first place for that rule to come into effect. Fantasia isn't one, so he's under the normal 8 years service rule (which he would've qualified for if he'd played another year at Essendon, but he was traded early so the counter starts again from zero).
Thanks! I didn’t know how it worked to this detail.. so I guess they’ve delisted him as they don’t want to grant him a primary list spot?

Because your friend lives in Adelaide does that give his opinion more credibility? Does he personally watch him train? Is he involved in his medical treatment? What additional insight does living in Adelaide give you?
Follows his son in Port Magpies. Fantasia could never run outa game. Always pulled up on something.

He's cooked.

Thanks! I didn’t know how it worked to this detail.. so I guess they’ve delisted him as they don’t want to grant him a primary list spot?
They'll have to delist him since the trade period is past. They can't force him to re-sign. If he has to delist himself he'd end up in the draft, which is mean and pointless for someone they had no intention of keeping.

The list lodgement date should be soon, usually October 31, so they need to tell the AFL who is still on their list and how they plan to pay them next year and stay within the salary cap, so we should find out like tomorrow.

If they still have him on their list then it'd go against their list spots and their salary cap position, meaning they can't take as many picks to the draft and whatever. All delistings have to be finalised by this list lodgement.

Feels like a move a team already challenging for a flag makes as the extra cream on top, low risk, high reward. The Blues, even with the impressive back half of the season still aren’t in that echelon. Making finals again would be a success in my eyes.

Why don’t you think they can at least match what they did in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back