Recommitted Todd Marshall [signs 5 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are they? Won't the back-ended Lynch and Martin deals just be replaced by back ended Taranto, Hopper and Bolton deals?

Those players you mentioned are all on long term deals which means their wages are spread out.

Richmond could easily afford Marshall or imo their main target Ben King.

Richmond cant afford the trade it would take to get Ben King over, They need the free agent

They have enough picks in this year's draft (2024) to certain pull off a heist/trade for King if he wanted to leave The Suns.

I would guess they are in the 'box seat' of any Vic club if King wants to go home.

Geez. If Band 1 is reserved for the top trache of players and Marshall is classed as that.

Just more proof the system is totally broken.
Not really. He'll get 6+ years at $800+ if he leaves. Gotta pay to play.
You sure? He's had his moments but I wouldn't say he'd be elite level of the comp pay bracket territory
Durable 25 year old key forwards that kick goals don't come by often.
Are they? Won't the back-ended Lynch and Martin deals just be replaced by back ended Taranto, Hopper and Bolton deals?
That doesn't make sense. Dusty deal is up next year, Lynch the year after. Plus Riewoldt and Cotchin contracts are gone, Prestia and Grimes will be too in the next 2 years. Taranto and Hopper won't be back ended, we'll have heaps of spare cash to splash.

Not really. He'll get 6+ years at $800+ if he leaves. Gotta pay to play.

Durable 25 year old key forwards that kick goals don't come by often.

That doesn't make sense. Dusty deal is up next year, Lynch the year after. Plus Riewoldt and Cotchin contracts are gone, Prestia and Grimes will be too in the next 2 years. Taranto and Hopper won't be back ended, we'll have heaps of spare cash to splash.
I don't know that he's been that durable. Also the 800k threshold will be going up with the new cba.

He could get band 1 I guess but just seems pretty borderline

I don't know that he's been that durable. Also the 800k threshold will be going up with the new cba.

Hes played 63 of the last 71 games in 3 seasons.

Any team that's interested up to 'borderline' band 1 level would add a few extra dollars like Essendon did with McKay to get it done IMO

Hes played 63 of the last 71 games in 3 seasons.

Any team that's interested up to 'borderline' band 1 level would add a few extra dollars like Essendon did with McKay to get it done IMO
Like saints did with Brad Crouch?

Guess it's not impossible but I wouldn’t think that likely.

Its ludicrous.

A player of that quality is not band 1 level. Simple.

If any team got band 1 for a player of this quality its just more proof the system is broken.

If he played for the team finishing last Marshall lands pick 2?

They have enough picks in this year's draft (2024) to certain pull off a heist/trade for King if he wanted to leave The Suns.

I would guess they are in the 'box seat' of any Vic club if King wants to go home.
100% would be Hawks ahead of them for King.

Richmond need draft picks more then any club in the league. They cant afford to give up even one

No one is paying Marshall $900k x 5 years.

So if he did leave Port would match and force a trade. Port must have a tight cap so that will restrict what tney offer.
If Ben McKay can get band 1, no reason why Marshall can't.

Doubt he leaves Port though.

Last edited:
Port's salary cap must be getting tight by now

Soldo & Rat didnt just go there for peanuts and with all the resignings

there is going to be somebody squeezed out and why not put a 7 year $6 mil offer on the table to shake that tree

He will be borderline P1, clubs will offer enough to get it over the line.
They may just add a year or two on after this contract on a lower rate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will be borderline P1, clubs will offer enough to get it over the line.
They may just add a year or two on after this contract on a lower rate
I think you mean band 1 not pick 1.

But I think Port will go top 4 next year minimum and I think as a result the difference between bands 1 and 2 will be negligible

If Ben McKay can get band 1, no reason why Marshall can't.

Doubt he leaves Port though.

The AFL copped a roasting over that ludicrous gift. They even admitted they didnt adjust the pay scale in the formula to reflect the new EBA agreement outcomes.

That proved the system was broken and needs adjusting. And its sounds like changes are about to occur.

So using the McKay outcome as precendence for future compo doesnt cut it. Everyone know it was an erroneous result manipulated by two clubs to benefit each other at the expense of the remainder of the comp.

Just another example of either bad management by AFL House or AVFL House looking after the poor struggling Vic team and making it up depending on the mood of the week.

Last edited:
The AFL copped a roasting over that ludicrous gift. They even admitted they didnt adjust the pay scale in the formula to reflect the new EBA agreement outcomes.

That proved the system was broken and needs adjusting. And its sounds like changes re about to occur.

So using the McKay outcome as precendence for future compo doesnt cut it. Everyone know it was an erroneous result manipulated by two clubs to benefit each other at the expense of the remainder of the comp.

Just another example of either bad management by AFL House or AVFL House looking after the poor struggling Vic team and making it up depending on the mood of the week.
I don't remember reading anything from AFL admitting to this, the media may have.

Do I think North deserved pick 3 for Mckay? No
Did McKay's contract deserve a band 1 compensation? Yes

If Marshall was signed for 6 years at 800k Port should get band 1

Last edited:

That proved the system was broken and needs adjusting. And its sounds like changes re about to occur.

Yeah, I don't disagree that McKay should never of been band 1... & it's also true that Port don't have an ex-club Executive in the AFL managing the FA compensation system.

Yeah, I don't disagree that McKay should never of been band 1... & it's also true that Port don't have an ex-club Executive in the AFL managing the FA compensation system.
McKay's contract warranted band 1 compensation, he will receive around 1.5 million this year.

The compensation had nothing to do with AFL staff favouring.

McKay's contract warranted band 1 compensation, he will receive around 1.5 million this year.

The compensation had nothing to do with AFL staff favouring.
Yeah, it had everything with not indexing the bands in accordance with the collective bargaining increase.

1 year front loaded salary is irrelevant... as it's about the salary over the whole contract.

Yeah, it had everything with not indexing the bands in accordance with the collective bargaining increase.

1 year front loaded salary is irrelevant... as it's about the salary over the whole contract.
5 million dollar contract over 6 years doesn't warrant that sort of compensation?
Don't get me wrong he isn't worth it but that's the figures that have been offered

5 million dollar contract over 6 years doesn't warrant that sort of compensation?
Don't get me wrong he isn't worth it but that's the figures that have been offered
I don't believe it was that high... but are you not concerned the AFL didn't index for the big pay increases?

I don't believe it was that high... but are you not concerned the AFL didn't index for the big pay increases?
That's the figure reported, do you know something we dont?
Not really, I believe a contract of that size deserves the compensation.

Essendon received band 1 for a 3 year contract when Joe Daniher left

Remove this Banner Ad

Back