Recommitted Todd Marshall [signs 5 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the figure reported, do you know something we dont?
Not really, I believe a contract of that size deserves the compensation.

Essendon received band 1 for a 3 year contract when Joe Daniher left
Danniher is a far better player than McKay imo.

It has nothing to do with the player, it's the contract size.
Are you expecting the afl to judge the quality of player?
I'm expecting the AFL to index the Bands in line with % cap increase.

So would we need to know what the cap was in 6 years time?
We know that the current CBA increase is, so why didn't it get applied, then an average increase for future years?

It destroys the fair concept of bands if there is no indexation!

We know that the current CBA increase is, so why didn't it get applied, then an average increase for future years?
You do realise that the two clubs would've made it happen.
If Essendon offered 5 million for 5 years and then tacked on a second contract for next to nothing, it would have the same outcome.

Danniher is a far better player than McKay imo.

Esendon could have gotten better compo aka two top 10 picks for Daniher if they traded him to the Swans instead of letting him go to Brisbane as a F/A.

It’s an incorrect assumption to think only elite players are worth band 1. The contract value doesn’t need to be that high. $800k per year over 5 years would be enough. It’s hardly elite these days and I could see a club offering that.

It’s an incorrect assumption to think only elite players are worth band 1. The contract value doesn’t need to be that high. $800k per year over 5 years would be enough. It’s hardly elite these days and I could see a club offering that.
Correct, I could see the Swans offering something around that.
Is he worth the band 1? Absolutely
[/QUOTE]
Swans are the club I’m watching. He’s from NSW and Sydney are in the market for a forward

I think the "these days" part misses that the cap is going up faster than the average contract because it's being revised up and this gives more space to add front loaded contracts to otherwise average players. I doing so their contracts are being measured against a cheaper pool of contracts and they trigger higher bands than they should otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL copped a roasting over that ludicrous gift. They even admitted they didnt adjust the pay scale in the formula to reflect the new EBA agreement outcomes.

That proved the system was broken and needs adjusting. And its sounds like changes re about to occur.

So using the McKay outcome as precendence for future compo doesnt cut it. Everyone know it was an erroneous result manipulated by two clubs to benefit each other at the expense of the remainder of the comp.

Just another example of either bad management by AFL House or AVFL House looking after the poor struggling Vic team and making it up depending on the mood of the week.
Only because North have already had plenty of other handouts both this year and last year. If North finished top 6 this year (like Port should next year), no one would have battered an eyelid had they got band 1/pick ~15ish for McKay. But because they ended up with pick 2, pick 3, plus the extra later picks it left a bad taste in every opposition supports mouth, mine included.

Is he worth the band 1? Absolutely Swans are the club I’m watching. He’s from NSW and Sydney are in the market for a forward

Depends on if we keep Logan (and the club have sounded confident on it).

McDonald, Amartey and McLean is a good forward line to build around so I don't think we will be desperate.

It wouldn't surprise me if we were chasing Naughton with the view of playing him in defence.

If Logan leaves, they 100% I think we would be interested in Marshall, but I cannot see him leaving Port, seems ingrained there.

I don't remember reading anything from AFL admitting to this, the media may have.

Do I think North deserved pick 3 for Mckay? No
Did McKay's contract deserve a band 1 compensation? Yes

If Marshall was signed for 6 years at 800k Port should get band 1

Using the old system which is obviously broken and producing erroneous results it would yes.

So not sure why you posted that statement.

The point is the system is broken and the AFL has admitted such and is undertaking a massive review and changes will be made.

And if after the AFL has fixed the broken system Marshall at $800k would not get band 1.

That's the point.

Using the old system which is obviously broken and producing erroneous results it would yes.

So not sure why you posted that statement.

The point is the system is broken and the AFL has admitted such and is undertaking a massive review and changes will be made.

And if after the AFL has fixed the broken system Marshall at $800k would not get band 1.

That's the point.
The clubs will just dodgy it up so they don't have to trade

The clubs will just dodgy it up so they don't have to trade

Not when the pay scales make it stupid to do so.

If clubs want to purchase picks with cap space the AFL sounds like it is open to allowing that to occur on existing natural draft picks. Pick purchasing.

It needs to stop the collusion between clubs that create erroneous results that benefit those two clubs at the expense of all others.
That's one of the key issues being addressed.

Clubs involved in a pick purchase cannot also collude to create a fake FA compo pick either. Hopefully the nuffies at AFL House can work that one out before the clubs use it as another loop hole.

Not when the pay scales make it stupid to do so.

If clubs want to purchase picks with cap space the AFL sounds like it is open to allowing that to occur on existing natural draft picks. Pick purchasing.

It needs to stop the collusion between clubs that create erroneous results that benefit those two clubs at the expense of all others.
That's one of the key issues being addressed.

Clubs involved in a pick purchase cannot also collude to create a fake FA compo pick either. Hopefully the nuffies at AFL House can work that one out before the clubs use it as another loop hole.
How do the pay scales make it look stupid?
If we offered Marshall 5 mill for 5 years what can the AFL do?

Is he worth the band 1? Absolutely
Swans are the club I’m watching. He’s from NSW and Sydney are in the market for a forward

Why are Sydney in the market for a key forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back