“Bonza” Mate- New Aussie Low Cost Airline

Remove this Banner Ad

i say in jest
its a shame that its hard to get some competition in the skies
im sure qantas and virgin offering the decision makers/legislators gold passes and assorted perks for the last 30 years has had no sway in policy formulation

Is it really that bad?

I'm flying to Sydney in August and it's costing me $45.

Qantas got up and running as a public entity.
Virgin on the back of Richard Branson’s success.
Jetstar are there to disrupt Virgin. lol.
Rex arent going that well and receive government subsidies on many routes I believe.

AUS is a tough aviation market.
It appears parental structure has cost Bonza big time though.

Qantas got up and running as a public entity.
Virgin on the back of Richard Branson’s success.
Jetstar are there to disrupt Virgin. lol.
Rex arent going that well and receive government subsidies on many routes I believe.

AUS is a tough aviation market.
It appears parental structure has cost Bonza big time though.
And ansett collapsing helped virgin pick up customers.

Bonza’s administrators have confirmed the company’s board received an “event of default” notice two weeks before its fleet was seized but still felt blindsided when its lessor attempted to repossess its fleet on Tuesday.

Bonza continued to sell tickets for flights between April 17 and its voluntary administration on Tuesday despite not being able to pay its leases, the release from Hall Chadwick issued at 11pm on Thursday said.

Hall Chadwick said there was “insufficient cash flow and funding” to recommence operations and said most of the airline’s 380 strong workforce would be stood down if talks with its aircraft lessor, AIP Capital, were not successful.

Company directors can, in theory, be held personally liable for debts incurred by a company trading while insolvent (unable to pay its debts as and when they fall due). I wonder if anyone will get done for insolvent trading in this instance.

That Qantas executive's joke that the Australian market is only big enough for one-and-a-half airlines still rings true today. It looks like these days it's big enough for two major domestic carriers and that's about it. Ansett, Compass, Impulse, Tiger and Bonza all now sit on history's scrapheap.

I didn't pay much attention to Bonza's introduction, but in hindsight, operating 737s on routes like Coffs Harbour to Mildura doesn't sound commercially viable. There's a reason the two majors didn't bother with certain routes.

Company directors can, in theory, be held personally liable for debts incurred by a company trading while insolvent (unable to pay its debts as and when they fall due). I wonder if anyone will get done for insolvent trading in this instance.

That Qantas executive's joke that the Australian market is only big enough for one-and-a-half airlines still rings true today. It looks like these days it's big enough for two major domestic carriers and that's about it. Ansett, Compass, Impulse, Tiger and Bonza all now sit on history's scrapheap.

I didn't pay much attention to Bonza's introduction, but in hindsight, operating 737s on routes like Coffs Harbour to Mildura doesn't sound commercially viable. There's a reason the two majors didn't bother with certain routes.
Ansett was ok but was bled dry by air nz . They literally went bust a day after 9/11

Is it really that bad?

I'm flying to Sydney in August and it's costing me $45.
Rex entering a few of the major intercity routes has drastically cut prices over the last few years

The problem is they cannot secure enough slots at the major airports in order to expand the services they provide on those high traffic routes and become a major player. This would enable them to add or contest other routes around the country. It would also assist them in submitting competitive bids to run regulated routes (a market currently all but locked up by QantasLink).

At the end of the day SYD:MEL is one of the highest traffic routes in the world, the passengers on those routes will always be OK - it's more about what duopolistic dominance of that route (plus other highly profitable intercity routes) means for the domestic market more broadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back