AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain) - Signed to 2030 - 2/5

Remove this Banner Ad

McCluggage was good all season, whereas the others improved and improved as the year went on where McGrath was genuinely rated at #1 by the end of the season. Heaps of times the average punter only hears a couple of names, sometimes those names don't even get drafted, so I don't think it's necessarily an indication of much.
I thought a key factor was McGrath was seen as future leader and the Luggage was apparently quite introverted.

Sure, McGrath fits the Jackets profile of Bayside, good home, school captain, lovely family, golden retriever that didn’t put on weight, blah, blah, blah…

…but I think we definitely needed some more leadership talent coming through. Think he’s filled that bill.

Do you think by 2030 our older players won't look completely shot and past it?

Nah dont mind it as elite and one of best players in comp at his role. Small defender, can shut down best small fwds but also rebound.

I think if rumour of our interest and offering mccluggage 6 are true, it would be a bit stiff if we didnt also offer mcgrath 6.

a lot can change in that time so prefer 4-5 but there'd be offers of 6 from others for mcgrath, so justifiable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interview with Sam Edmund this morning. Available on SEN.
Really good chat and very passionate Essendon person and grateful for the opportunity the club has given him.
Talks about new contract, playing group and very happy with the direction the club is taking, what they are working towards.

Worth a listen.

Best first 7 rounds he’s played in years but yes he has clearly been played out of his natural position. Plays well in a contract year and receives a contract after 7 rounds.

To be honest I’m not all that enthused about the timing of the contract. Time will tell but I want to see him perform like he has for the first 7 rounds for the entire season.

Best first 7 rounds he’s played in years but yes he has clearly been played out of his natural position. Plays well in a contract year and receives a contract after 7 rounds.

To be honest I’m not all that enthused about the timing of the contract. Time will tell but I want to see him perform like he has for the first 7 rounds for the entire season.
His start to last year was better.

Interview with Sam Edmund this morning. Available on SEN.
Really good chat and very passionate Essendon person and grateful for the opportunity the club has given him.
Talks about new contract, playing group and very happy with the direction the club is taking, what they are working towards.

Worth a listen.
Sounds like you've covered it well here with these cliffs!

His start to last year was better.

Maybe the stats are better? He looks better this year though, more settled, and not throwing it on the boot so much. I also like the way he's pushing up the ground through the midfield, running with the ball a lot. He seems like a different player.

Maybe the stats are better? He looks better this year though, more settled, and not throwing it on the boot so much. I also like the way he's pushing up the ground through the midfield, running with the ball a lot. He seems like a different player.
reckon he’s confident & backing himself considerably more than he has in the past

This season is the best he's ever played by a fair margin I reckon. I've been a hater since his second season but he's really making me eat my words, been incredible so far in 2024. Dump kicks to the opposition are all but gone, has figured out how to stop running himself into trouble by sidestepping into oppo players. If he plays like this for the next 6 years I'll have zero complaints. Yep he's still not a great #1 pick but as people have said it wasn't exactly the strongest draft year - he probably is pushing to be the #1 player of his cohort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back