AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC) - Signed to 2030 - 2/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Mid-late depending on what the club has.

We got over the odds for Saad because that was the pick Carlton had.

I can't see any club with a pick inside 10 pursuing him hard, but could see plenty of finals bound clubs looking at him and thinking he'd be a good addition.

Shiel and Andy to the Suns for 2022 1st, 2023 1st. They don't need more picks. :p

Anyone actually considering trading Pidge is in peak Essington mode. We arent winning so let's just trade everyone who doesn't stand out on the stat sheet. With exception of Merrett, I would trade just about every other midfielder on our list before McGrath.

He could average 30 disposals if he was allowed to free wheel like Parish does and completely neglect his defensive duties as well. But instead, he is one of the only players we have with genuine leadership traits

Not to mention he and Zach are the only defensively accountable mids we have (Hobbs doesn't play there enough yet) and can play multiple positions. I would trade Parish, Caldwell and Shiel before McGrath any day of the week.

There is the problem, if they wanted a forward Taranto was the man, small defender McGrath was the one, but they wanted a mid Who kicked goals and missed McClug and Taranto, but spoke about how McGrath played forward once and done well. Dodoro has put so much pressure on McGrath, played him out of position and now we have a kid who feels like he is failing. McGrath playing on the Betts, Gray, Greene ect and doing a great job should be seen as a really important role but at Essendon it isn’t.
I think you make a lot of good points here and McGrath eluded to feeling pressure to play in the midfield.

There are also different ways the clubs protect high draft pics from comparison and the pressure that comes with it. I remember the Hawks being challenged about taking Hodge over Judd early days and saying that Hodgy is a ripper and they would make the same decision again (when Judd was destroying it).

Man management can be stuffed up and someone like McGrath could easily be a candidate for performance punishment because of his willingness to be part of the solution. His ability may not match that willingness though and listening to his interview it seems like he is coming to terms with that now. Hopefully the club is too

Anyone actually considering trading Pidge is in peak Essington mode. We arent winning so let's just trade everyone who doesn't stand out on the stat sheet. With exception of Merrett, I would trade just about every other midfielder on our list before McGrath.

He could average 30 disposals if he was allowed to free wheel like Parish does and completely neglect his defensive duties as well. But instead, he is one of the only players we have with genuine leadership traits

Not to mention he and Zach are the only defensively accountable mids we have (Hobbs doesn't play there enough yet) and can play multiple positions. I would trade Parish, Caldwell and Shiel before McGrath any day of the week.

Eh, he's been an overall disappointment - and he might actually be worth something.

Plus, our midfield balance is absolutely horrendous. I don't think it's that outrageous of a suggestion to see what he's worth.

What are his genuine leadership traits?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh, he's been an overall disappointment - and he might actually be worth something.

Plus, our midfield balance is absolutely horrendous. I don't think it's that outrageous of a suggestion to see what he's worth.

What are his genuine leadership traits?
He's the most consistent defensive runner of our mids. The balance is off but you don't fix the balance by getting rid of the one who does what we need him to do

He's the most consistent defensive runner of our mids. The balance is off but you don't fix the balance by getting rid of the one who does what we need him to do

I don't agree there - he was okay against Melbourne, but since then has just jogged/ball watched. He was awful against the Dogs (defensively).

If they played him where he won the rising star, this discussion wouldn't even exist. No one would be putting him up for trade.
Just send him back and let him become the best player he can, playing the role which suited him best at under 18s and his rising star year.

Can not say I have seen it for a while. Unless you call jogging at slow pace or walking defensive running. He has been just as horrible as the rest of them and if you watch his game he is generally the one calling for backwards handball and then kicking it around a corner. My view is he has been very uninspiring.

The midfield needs to be balanced and trading McGrath is one way to do it. I'm not interesting in looking at what a mid could be after 5 years in the system. Looking at the midfield, at least two of Parish, Merrett, McGrath, Caldwell and Shiel need to be traded. Parish, Merrett and Caldwell are not going to be traded, which leaves Shiel and McGrath.

I look at GWS and see Taranto out of contract. Taranto is a horrible kick so I'm not really keen, but if Taranto and McGrath both want to leave, then I wouldn't mind swapping the two (with Essendon adding something of course).

Ship Shiel off to someone willing to pay something decent and lure Brayshaw. Brayshaw and Taranto replacing McGrath and Shiel instantly improves the midfield. Suddenly you have a midfield of Brayshaw (187cm, 87kg), Taranto (188cm, 87kg), Parish (180cm, 82kg), Caldwell (183cm, 83kg), Perkins (188cm, 80kg), Hobbs (183cm, 79kg) and Stringer (192cm, 90kg) rotating through the midfield. I don't see Essendon losing contested ball very often with that midfield.

You have to be bold sometimes to take the next step.

The midfield needs to be balanced and trading McGrath is one way to do it. I'm not interesting in looking at what a mid could be after 5 years in the system. Looking at the midfield, at least two of Parish, Merrett, McGrath, Caldwell and Shiel need to be traded. Parish, Merrett and Caldwell are not going to be traded, which leaves Shiel and McGrath.

I look at GWS and see Taranto out of contract. Taranto is a horrible kick so I'm not really keen, but if Taranto and McGrath both want to leave, then I wouldn't mind swapping the two (with Essendon adding something of course).

Ship Shiel off to someone willing to pay something decent and lure Brayshaw. Brayshaw and Taranto replacing McGrath and Shiel instantly improves the midfield. Suddenly you have a midfield of Brayshaw (187cm, 87kg), Taranto (188cm, 87kg), Parish (180cm, 82kg), Caldwell (183cm, 83kg), Perkins (188cm, 80kg), Hobbs (183cm, 79kg) and Stringer (192cm, 90kg) rotating through the midfield. I don't see Essendon losing contested ball very often with that midfield.

You have to be bold sometimes to take the next step.
I dont necessarily disagree with the logic.

Just saying I would personally trade Shiel, and probably Parish, before McGrath

I dont necessarily disagree with the logic.

Just saying I would personally trade Shiel, and probably Parish, before McGrath
I wouldn't trade Parish before McGrath because we can only hope McGrath can win the ball and win clearances like Parish does. I'd rather go with the known quantity and deal with his limitations than hoping a player comes good.

Zack is NOT a defensive mid, he is a stat chaser

Gavin Wanganeen was an amazing lock down small defender who burnt his opponents the other way. He won a Brownlow playing that role

McGrath is no Wanganeen, but if that is his best position (which I think it is), what’s wrong with that?

I think he can already lock a player down. It’s burning them the other way he needs to learn. I’m not sure he has it in him, but his best games have been played down back.

Gavin Wanganeen was an amazing lock down small defender who burnt his opponents the other way. He won a Brownlow playing that role

McGrath is no Wanganeen, but if that is his best position (which I think it is), what’s wrong with that?

I think he can already lock a player down. It’s burning them the other way he needs to learn. I’m not sure he has it in him, but his best games have been played down back.
If we kept Saad and traded McGrath for the same pick we'd probably be pretty happy right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back