Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

After recently losing a close friend (ex AFL player) in a car accident, you just want to ask them why? It could have been avoided without going into specifics. With Maj (although totally different) its a different kettle of fish but at least there is some good to come from this as hopefully we can find out why. If not us then the powers that be. If this leads to better understanding and it can save 1 life going forward then this will be not only a wake up call for us, but set a standard going forward for all of us.
I'm sorry for your loss. That is a good point too though, we then look for a why naturally because a better understanding could lead to a future change or the idea of closure. Sometimes though it cannot be answered, or not fully, or not to the extent we want, whatever it might be. And then that feeling also can trip us up. Sometimes we get stuck in closure. But it's always good to explore even without a desired answer at the end. Kind of reflects how a feeling of grief and loss is something we adapt to over time, rather than solve. Maybe the adaption is a way of solving it. Either way, i hope you're doing ok.

Didn't really want to post here (personal reasons) but I really hope he is going to be OK. Always admired how he goes about it. It gets hard for all of us.

(And as for the footy and supporting and the pressures of players what we all need to remember is it is supposed to be fun)
Well glad you come and posted. When it come to things like this, there are no team lines, and we are all the same.

Part is me is like, I can't wait for Maj to read our messages, he needs the support.

The other part of me is like, well let's not show him the rest of the board, fire up the delete button mods!

I can say I was very selective in what I have forwarded, and will be sending through another batch in the morning. Tried to avoid anything about his football, that stuff simply doesn't matter.

I can say I was very selective in what I have forwarded, and will be sending through another batch in the morning. Tried to avoid anything about his football, that stuff simply doesn't matter.
Hi TFW, Just in case what I posted earlier missed the cut, my whole family, wife, kid, inlaws and all are north people, and we all wish for Majak to know that he's got people everywhere who wish the best for him.

Would appreciate it if you could pass on that he is simply in our hearts.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would appreciate it if you could pass on that he is simply in our hearts.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I will mate and I guarantee you that message hasn't been lost nor will be with the next wave. Sent through about a hundred messages first up and will be about the same tomorrow. As I've said previously, I don't even know when he'll get to see them but I know those around him have appreciated it greatly reading them and that's pretty important too.

Devastating for his family and friends and you guys too. Really hope he gets all the love and support he needs.
I will mate and I guarantee you that message hasn't been lost nor will be with the next wave. Sent through about a hundred messages first up and will be about the same tomorrow. As I've said previously, I don't even know when he'll get to see them but I know those around him have appreciated it greatly reading them and that's pretty important too.
Can only imagine what his family are going through. We are thinking of them all and sending love to embrace them all.

Awesome stuff TFW. Thanks for doing that for the community :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Saw this and thought it was pathetic. Schwatta should have known better. It was cheap. Expected from channel 9, not from him.
He should have refused to do it but as people have said Schwatta is a Jihadist on this stuff - his laudable desire to get his (now proven the be correct) message across blinded him to the cheap sensationalism of doing it there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should have refused to do it but as people have said Schwatta is a Jihadist on this stuff - his laudable desire to get his (now proven the be correct) message across blinded him to the cheap sensationalism of doing it there
Yeah it's a tough situation. I don't like it but Schwatta may have thought it was a 'for the greater good' type of situation. Using this spotlight as a platform to raise awareness for others in the future. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. I dunno but I assume that's where Schwatta was coming from.

If clubs have full time psychologists, it should be part and parcel of training that each player (and coach) has an allotted time slot for a one on one, just as they do for gym sessions, skills, goal kicking practice etc. That removes any sort of stigma, and makes it a totally normal thing to do removing the onus of people to put their hand up to seek help.

By all means have a psychologist for those that want one but I dont think it should be compulsory. Not everyone needs to see one.

By all means have a psychologist for those that want one but I dont think it should be compulsory. Not everyone needs to see one.

I kind of agree, but it would highlight those that need it. For some people coming out and letting people know you’re messed up is the hardest thing to do. I’ve had panic disorder since I was about 18. I didn’t get help till I was 27, I didn’t tell my family & friends till I was in my early 30’s.

Saw this and thought it was pathetic. Schwatta should have known better. It was cheap. Expected from channel 9, not from him.
Understand the sentiment, but I found it jarring.
The magnitude of the action Maj took really hit home looking at the bridge while the conversation was taking place.

Guys, I wasn't sure about posting this, but here goes. Mods feel free to delete if not appropriate.

So, I just received a phone call from my youngest boys high school headmaster. My son was asked to give a speech on high school life and his "what you take from 4 years of high school". My son being the kid he is, decided to make the chat about depression/anxiety and how it affects people, young and old, famous or not… using his favourite North Melbourne player, Majak, as the example… without mentioning his name or specifics! Apparently he had most of the school assembly in tears, especially the teachers and parents who were there… including my wife!

The headmaster has asked me for a copy of the speech. I've just had a chat to my son and apparently there is no copy… he spoke from the heart and on the fly! I asked when he decided to change his talk on school life to the chat he gave, he said, as he was walking out on to the stage. I asked why, he replied with, "We all love Maj dad!"

Kids eh… now I'm in tears, again!

I'll leave this here as a "comment".

Edit Note: For those that have messaged me and asked this question, Yes, my son suffers from Anxiety. So in short, a massive ask for him to speak in front of his school assembly.... very proud of him!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Guys, I wasn't sure about posting this, but here goes. Mods feel free to delete if not appropriate.

So, I just received a phone call from my youngest boys high school headmaster. My son was asked to give a speech on high school life and his "what you take from 4 years of high school". My son being the kid he is, decided to make the chat about depression/anxiety and how it affects people, young and old, famous or not… using his favourite North Melbourne player, Majak, as the example… without mentioning his name or specifics! Apparently he had most of the school assembly in tears, especially the teachers and parents who were there… including my wife!

The headmaster has asked me for a copy of the speech. I've just had a chat to my son and apparently there is no copy… he spoke from the heart and on the fly! I asked when he decided to change his talk on school life to the chat he gave, he said, as he was walking out on to the stage. I asked why, he replied with, "We all love Maj dad!"

Kids eh… now I'm in tears, again!

I'll leave this here as a "comment".

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You’ve raised a good kid.

Most people that need help don't know they need it.
With the pressures of modern day football talking to a bloke at the club once a week for ten minutes could make a hell of a lot of difference to some.

s**t, they'd probably talk to a dietician more than they would the psych

Just because you don't "need" to see one doesn't mean they can't help you in other aspects. Psychologists are broadly trained professionals. They're not just there to treat anxiety and depression.

Most people that need help don't know they need it.
With the pressures of modern day football talking to a bloke at the club once a week for ten minutes could make a hell of a lot of difference to some.

s**t, they'd probably talk to a dietician more than they would the psych

Just because you don't "need" to see one doesn't mean they can't help you in other aspects. Psychologists are broadly trained professionals. They're not just there to treat anxiety and depression.
Right on. Or they could hire a mental health clinician which could have a background in psychoology, or social work, or nursing, or occupational therapy. And that variety might be more conducive to chatting for some, maybe/maybe not. And they can just chat, and if something more serious comes up they chat about it, and if it doesn't then it doesn't. But they build up the skills in this type of communication so when they need to they can.

Every single person I have ever talked to about this when they say there is a barrier to seeking help it's "I don't know what to say, I can't find the words, I find it hard to talk in person". Cause it is a skill that you develop, like kicking a football. You will not just be good at it, you have to practice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back