Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not 100% against penalising an action based on the potential to cause injury, but this isn't the right way to do it. No one is getting hurt from how he executed it. That amount of force to the head simply isn't going to do anything.

If Cunners had caught him flush on the chin with most of the force, but Laird through being a mix of lucky and tough was fine and played on... then I would accept a suspension. But in this case the contact was negligible, and barely even that, then it just doesn't sit right.
If he got suspended after showing a duty of care and minimising the impact successfully what player would bother doing that again?

yeah agree, but my view is the bump should be for shepherding and trying to win a contested ball. Choosing to bump rather than tackle the ball carrier is always going to be a risk.

there's just no point of bumping the ball carrier, the only reason to bump is so you don't get holding the man paid against you.

The AFL want the bump gone imo, it is or was a great part of our game . Just another thing I can tell the Grand kids, when tackling becomes defunct and touching your opponent means they have to dispose of the ball immediately .
It's funny how things change. When I was younger, there was a period of development where you were allowed to bump but not tackle. It was considered the less physical option to start kids off with.

It's funny how things change. When I was younger, there was a period of development where you were allowed to bump but not tackle. It was considered the less physical option to start kids off with.
Ha, I'd forgotten about that but you're right. From memory when I started playing (late 70s) it was just normal rules but in the 80s they brought in "modified rules" as they called it until under-12s. That was the key difference- bumping but no tackling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might be like Matty Larkin, missed out on the new great era by that much
He kicked that on his opposite too from memory. If you look closely I reckon the last Eagle player he baulked clapped the goal.

Was like watching Rembrandt knock up a painting in real time
And when Atley was finished with the masterpiece it looked like this
550773_fac8f467fcd445f0994d1f8b124b4e72~mv2.png

I bloody love Cunners.

Personifies all we love about the mythical Shinboner qualities.

An absolute warrior.

Anyone who’s written him off in this thread can cop a Cunners fend off to the gonads!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back