Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

6. Ben Cunnington: Gnarly old Kangaroos don’t run when chased. They turn to fight. Cunnington stood tall in amongst half a dozen younger, faster heroes for the Roos when they chased down the Hawks in Launceston for David Noble’s first win as an AFL coach. He had 37 disposals with 27 in contests and 13 from clearances. His work at the death was superb to keep the Hawks at arm’s length. Incredibly strong midfielder who keeps his head still and his nerves calm in the fiercest contests.

Just a love post for this guy.
To me this person has everything the NMFC stands for.
Fearless and competitive. Never takes a backwards step and brings his teammates into the game. A tower of strength and dependability. Total powerhouse.
A great guy to have in the stripes and one of my all time favourites.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cunners is a battering ram and just an exceptional talented footballer.
No fuss just get the job done.
Absolutely in love with this bloke.

Also says alot for drafting bloody footballers. Not Athletes.
Footballers first before all else !!
Don't care how high you can jump, how fast you run the TAN or how much you can benchpress if you cant kick, handball or mark the bloody thing.

At this rate ‘Cunners!’ will be my 9-month old daughters first word.

In terms of pure mids he is the best I’ve seen play for North having supported us since the early 90’s. Would pay a lot to see footage of prime Ben Cunnington and Anthony Stevens fight for a hard ball at training.

I absolutely love Stevo. Him and Schwass (outside of Carey) were my favourite players through the 90’s.

Yet as much as I love him I reckon Cunners beats him 9 times out of 10 in a contested situation. Stevo was dogged determination personified, but I don’t think he’d be able match Cunners pure strength in the contest.

I absolutely love Stevo. Him and Schwass (outside of Carey) were my favourite players through the 90’s.

Yet as much as I love him I reckon Cunners beats him 9 times out of 10 in a contested situation. Stevo was dogged determination personified, but I don’t think he’d be able match Cunners pure strength in the contest.
Are we even having this discussion?

Stevo was Jack Mahoney's height (tho he did end up alot heavier, Mahony probably will too.)

Cunners is four inches taller and 5 kilos heavier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunners has class of touch would leave Stevens for dead.

BUT.. Stevens would be tearing into him like a pitball trying to get the ascendency for his team. Cunnington wouldn't just get his own way.

And if the rains starts falling and game becomes a grind, it's Anthony Stevens who will get from contest to contest as well in the last minute as the first minute, disarming opponents as soon as they beat him for possession.

Stevo didn't deal with Cunnington but he had some very tough opponents himself in Kelly, Williams, Ratten, Ricciuto, Hocking etc.

Stevo didn't deal with Cunnington but he had some very tough opponents himself in Kelly, Williams, Ratten, Ricciuto, Hocking etc.

G. Hocking

It was all out trench war when those two got together.

Stevo would run Cunners to death if that was the question. He'd struggle at a contest all things being equal but Stevo used to run 10 x 400s with a walk/jog lap recovery in between on his own aside from training just to build his tank.

Last edited:
Just a love post for this guy.
To me this person has everything the NMFC stands for.
Fearless and competitive. Never takes a backwards step and brings his teammates into the game. A tower of strength and dependability. Total powerhouse.
A great guy to have in the stripes and one of my all time favourites.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remember his draft year there was a lot of arguments of which we were taking cunners or Rohan.
Lucky we didn’t stuff that draft up.

Remember his draft year there was a lot of arguments of which we were taking cunners or Rohan.
Lucky we didn’t stuff that draft up.

It's not as if Rohan's a bad footballer, but Cunners is next level.

2009 draft: Martin & Fyfe 1&2, Cunners next.

It took the two best players currently in the comp to edge him out of top spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back