Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

holy **** he's actually trying!

Yeah, amazing isn't it? The winner and runner-up in the Syd in 2014 and 2015 actually tries? Who would have thought?

It's so much better to post on BF exaggerating his relatively poor 2016 (relative to winning and coming 2nd in the B&F, that is). Awesome.

Yeah, amazing isn't it? The winner and runner-up in the Syd in 2014 and 2015 actually tries? Who would have thought?

It's so much better to post on BF exaggerating his relatively poor 2016 (relative to winning and coming 2nd in the B&F, that is). Awesome.
Did you even watch him this year? I'm not saying he isn't a good player, and he has the ability to be our best player, but some of his efforts this year were just unacceptable for a senior AFL footballer. Things like kicking into the man on the mark because he couldn't be bothered pushing back, or his inability/lack of intent to chase and put pressure on, or disposing of the footy and then just standing round in the middle waiting for someone to pass it to him rather than presenting or running to space. Yeah, he had a corky but tbh by the end of the year he just looked like he couldn't be bothered way too much and it really p****Ed me off.

Anyone who thinks Cunnington doesn't have the ability to be elite needs to watch this vid. Sure he's slow and his year wasn't his best, but at his best he's ridiculous around congestion.

Cunnington highlights = click on link.

Halfway through = holy ship this is all from ONE game.

Cunners at 100% will be all-Australian 2017 = that is all

Did you even watch him this year? I'm not saying he isn't a good player, and he has the ability to be our best player, but some of his efforts this year were just unacceptable for a senior AFL footballer. Things like kicking into the man on the mark because he couldn't be bothered pushing back, or his inability/lack of intent to chase and put pressure on, or disposing of the footy and then just standing round in the middle waiting for someone to pass it to him rather than presenting or running to space. Yeah, he had a corky but tbh by the end of the year he just looked like he couldn't be bothered way too much and it really p****Ed me off.

How many times did he kick it in to the man on the mark this year? surely more than 4-5 based on the amount of times ive heard this brought up.

He was down un the second half of the year just like everyone else in our team bar Tarrant and a few others.

Having said this, the timing is right for Cunners to become the sort of player we know he can be. Best clearance/contested midfielder in the league.

Looking at Cunners in the last half of the year especially i couldn't help thinking by the way he was running that he looked to me to be moving like a bloke with serious back problems. Just what i thought when i watched him, was running with a totally straight back. I dont think he should ever be accused of not trying it just looked like he was massively restricted in his movement to my eye.

A lot of posters have faith that Cunners will return to his best. That he will get fitter and lose some weight and have a great 2017.

I for the club's sake, hope they are right.

But I still ask the question why a top 5 pick, 7 years into a career, getting paid fantastic money, allows himself to lose definition in his body, add weight, lose mobility and fitness and the ability to play out a game ?

Why did it get to this stage ?

He has played in the last 2 losing PF. Doesn't that hurt ?

Isnt he desperate to come back better and fitter and play in a GF ?

And also, North have spent a lot of money on beefing up its football department. We really don't have any excuses. But when Cunners showed up for his first day of pre season, was anyone concerned ?

A lot of posters have faith that Cunners will return to his best. That he will get fitter and lose some weight and have a great 2017.

But I still ask the question why a top 5 pick, 7 years into a career, getting paid fantastic money, allows himself to lose definition in his body, add weight, lose mobility and fitness and the ability to play out a game ?

And also, North have spent a lot of money on beefing up its football department. We really don't have any excuses. But when Cunners showed up for his first day of pre season, was anyone concerned ?
Was Cunners fat on first day of pre season?...I haven't heard this before. To me, he looked cooked after the Geelong game where he copped an injury and we kept playing him in the middle.

Was Cunners fat on first day of pre season?...I haven't heard this before. To me, he looked cooked after the Geelong game where he copped an injury and we kept playing him in the middle.

Agree. First half of the year he was good. I think he simply went a little too far with building/bulking for contests. Of all the years this was going to be the one that found him out and even more so after the Geelong injury. On review, I think the club and Cunners would admit they got it wrong.

The body shape he has is perfect for one on ones dragging mids into their backline and wrestling he will win 9/10 1 on 1 battles.

Yes sir. Couldn't have said it better if I tried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another A-Grade post.

Watching Cunners post-season interview on the NMFC website, he seemed to find a lot of things "funny".

Yes sir. Couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Another A-Grade post.

Watching Cunners post-season interview on the NMFC website, he seemed to find a lot of things "funny".

Hmm, the only time Arthur posts seriously is to bash Cunners.

You should probably do it through your regular account and keep Arthur for the quirky stuff. :thumbsu:

Hmm, the only time Arthur posts seriously is to bash Cunners.

You should probably do it through your regular account and keep Arthur for the quirky stuff. :thumbsu:

Even better, he could hand it on to serial non-poster Onip.

Not much of a fisherman myself, but I have also heard it's all about the bass.

It's addictive too.

I look forward to the F/S pics with the tagline "You can't get the footy out of his hands. It's been that way since he was born!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back