Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - progressing slowly in return to AFL after bone stress injury in foot

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought there was something in that deal that meant they were prevented from signing extensions until part-way through their first season?
They can extend after round 6.

To be fair I've been surprised we don't have a contract extension in place yet.

Fairly sure Sheezel/Wardlaw did by the corresponding stage though am aware 1st round deals are now 3 years.

Kingy at quarter time of round 1, 2023.

“I think the North management have just run a contract extension straight down to Harry Sheezel”.

I think you’re right about that third year, gives these talks a bit of breathing room and no need for concern on our part.

They can extend after round 6.
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

From what I hear and know, the Tassie Devils certainly aren't confident Colby will head their way, and from knowing Colby, he's certainly a loyal person, so I'd be surprised....... Ryley* on the other hand, is a different story.

*Just to clarify, I'm not saying Ryley is disloyal, I just think his intent or direction if you like, is different to Colby's.

Last edited:
From what I hear and know, the Tassie Devils certainly aren't confident Colby will head their way, and from knowing Colby, he's certainly a loyal person, so I'd be surprised....... Ryley on the other hand, is a different story.

Look, by 2028, you’d kinda hope North are starting to push up the ladder and showing something. He might not fancy leaving a team on the verge to go to a start up. Dunno. Maybe he’ll love it at North.

We’ve got 4 years to make this the kind of club that Colby, amongst others, wants to spend his career.

I have to say I watch Ryley and I'm not entirely sure what the hype is - yes he can rack it up and it good defensively, but also doesn't seem to have an absolute cutting edge weapon.

Like say Colby with his pace and kicking

I have to say I watch Ryley and I'm not entirely sure what the hype is - yes he can rack it up and it good defensively, but also doesn't seem to have an absolute cutting edge weapon.

Like say Colby with his pace and kicking
Elite mids don't need cutting-edge weapons. They need ball getting ability, good decision making, and poise.

Having an elite trait is the biggest fallacy in football atm. I mean, it's nice, but it doesn't define who will be A grade.

Sanders will be a gun. Every time I've seen him play, he seems to have time under pressure and finds teammates. The best trait of all imo.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Elite mids don't need cutting-edge weapons. They need ball getting ability, good decision making, and poise.

Having an elite trait is the biggest fallacy in football atm. I mean, it's nice, but it doesn't define who will be A grade.

Sanders will be a gun. Every time I've seen him play, he seems to have time under pressure and finds teammates. The best trait of all imo.

Agree but I'd class natural ball winning as a trait that can make a player elite.

Agree but I'd class natural ball winning as a trait that can make a player elite.
No doubt.

Serong is the best example of ball winning ability with no elite physical traits. His decision-making, poise, neat disposal, and strength in the contest is what makes him A grade. Makes me spew he isn't in North colours.

Imagine LDU, Serong, and Wardlaw around stoppages.

His family would have loved it, too, being from Longwarry.

You've described a good mid, not an elite one.

He was pick 6 (pick 4 in the "organic" draft) Dogs traded up to get him. everyopne had a cry when we suggested we pre-list him.

I'm not saying he's shit or anything, I just don't see him being a cut above like a do others.

You've described a good mid, not an elite one.

He was pick 6 (pick 4 in the "organic" draft) Dogs traded up to get him. everyopne had a cry when we suggested we pre-list him.

I'm not saying he's s**t or anything, I just don't see him being a cut above like a do others.
I described Scott Pendlebury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonderful.
Wonder if it's related to the same foot injury he had late last year.

"The only hiccup in the midfielder's season was a foot injury (fracture and bone bruising) sustained in the Devils' Round 16 win over Calder Cannons."

Wonder if it's related to the same foot injury he had late last year.

"The only hiccup in the midfielder's season was a foot injury (fracture and bone bruising) sustained in the Devils' Round 16 win over Calder Cannons."
Its because the Footy’s aren’t kicked in. 30 kicks a match on a sharp pointy hard footy isn’t ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back