11 Collingwood players test positive for illicit drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

They are paid that sort of money because they are elite footballers, you know, the best in the country. They put their health and safety on the line every time they go out there to play. I don't see the reason for them to be role models and I'm sure most of them don't want to be.
Zero tolerance does not work, this has been proven time and time again, it's just wishful thinking and PR.
the top 800 is well short of elite - Elite is 5 or 6.

We disagree then. And I have looked at the figures - including several studies on questions to arrested persons asking whether (and how) drugs or alcohol contributed to their arrest. I have also had long discussions on the subject with members of the UQLD criminology team who are national leaders on the subject of crime statistics and their interpretation over a wide sample of interest topics.

With respect I perceive that you are trying to bend the available information to your prejudged opinion both by simple "no that can't be" and by applying one sided conditions and qualifiers which permit selectively discounting the available evidence.

Fourthly, your statement about drug use as the 'primary or contributory cause' is not in fact my statement. It comes directly from the best available research (by no means perfect but the best available). Argue with the academics.

Not much to be gained further arguing the point here though.

I'm not taking issue with the fact drugs are massively related to crime.

With respect, I do not succumb to 'no that can't be', I simply evaluate the available evidence. I have in fact been paid to so in this specific area, although that was many years ago. If you can point me to the report that says 'primary or contributory cause' that took into account other factors, that would be appreciated.

I just found an AIC report which had drugs slightly ahead of alcohol in terms of crime attribution, but that is countered by several I have read which had alcohol significantly higher. These statistics based on surveys are generally unreliable, as we both know. One theme is always the same though: alcohol = violent crime, drugs = property crime. And specific drugs are more closely related to specific crimes, not just 'illicit drugs'.

I'm not taking issue with the fact drugs are massively related to crime.

With respect, I do not succumb to 'no that can't be', I simply evaluate the available evidence. I have in fact been paid to so in this specific area, although that was many years ago. If you can point me to the report that says 'primary or contributory cause' that took into account other factors, that would be appreciated.

I just found an AIC report which had drugs slightly ahead of alcohol in terms of crime attribution, but that is countered by several I have read which had alcohol significantly higher. These statistics based on surveys are generally unreliable, as we both know. One theme is always the same though: alcohol = violent crime, drugs = property crime. And specific drugs are more closely related to specific crimes, not just 'illicit drugs'.

I do not agree with your attribution of types of crime, which I find limited and will answer by PM. I doubt the audience here is terribly fascinated with the ongoing discussion.

Not tonight though. Rather tired - and a wee bit "tired and emotional" too.

:thumbsu:

PS. I do this for a living now - in a left handed kind of way.

Awesome performance by Bucks and Chris Scott then. Both on the money. Robbo looked like a fool.

Agreed, he got roasted. The thing was, he seemed genuinely surprised that his methods were being questioned. Like hello, Houston? Is anyone there?

Gerard kind of encourages/enables his behaviour but I think if he got a whiff of his position being compromised in any way he would throw Slobertson under a bus without a moments hesitation.

Does...does Robbo understand irony?

View attachment 228419
Cant work out why Collingwood is the nominated fall guy for the entire competition here. Almost every teams have significant numbers of positive tests and most have very similar numbers.
Eddie probably got him to write the original article.

Get real and stop the for show policy's, it is doing nothing positive. Allow to clubs to manage the players and assist in there welfare.

Well that's a coincidence, that's what Eddie wants to happen ;)

Last edited:
actually, amphetmines and stimulants are performance enhancing in the right quantities. sprinters dont do without them, but the right combination and amount, you will either run thru walls in footy or rugby, or hammer the last 50 kms in a classic in cycling.

they ARE performance enhancing, but it in a different ratio to a big night out.
It's not ratios, it's timing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome performance by Bucks and Chris Scott then. Both on the money. Robbo looked like a fool.
Brilliant! Buckley said point blank Robbo had integrity problems about that article. Said it like it was a done thing, no anger. Scott just told Robbo: you basically made the story up with scant information. Buckley says he missed the real story, how the clubs have no control or duty during the players' off time, yet the AFL wants to test them and send reports back to the clubs, as well as leaking to journos.

Elephant in the room: Robbo targeted Collingwood.

Proves journos cant be mates (or think their mates)with their subjects

Poor Robbo...

That's ALL he wants...to be one of the boys in the real AFL club, not the pretend journo one.

Reckon he'd cut off his left knacker if it would help.

Brilliant! Buckley said point blank Robbo had integrity problems about that article. Said it like it was a done thing, no anger. Scott just told Robbo: you basically made the story up with scant information. Buckley says he missed the real story, how the clubs have no control or duty during the players' off time, yet the AFL wants to test them and send reports back to the clubs, as well as leaking to journos.

Elephant in the room: Robbo targeted Collingwood.
One of the few enjoyable moments on that show. He was hit for six by two coaches who refused to lower themselves to his level of emotional rubbish.

Robbo has burnt one too many bridge it would seem.

Gerard clearly distancing himself from Robbo- stating he would not have gone with it until confirmed.
Tim Watson and 'Darce' on SEN this morning politely stepping away form the moron.

I hope he gets isolated and then arsed- he is a pathetic little weasel who is a dibby-dobbing little bastard with an agenda.
journos should be impartial- robbo is simply partially braindead

Robbo has burnt one too many bridge it would seem.

Gerard clearly distancing himself from Robbo- stating he would not have gone with it until confirmed.
Tim Watson and 'Darce' on SEN this morning politely stepping away form the moron.

I hope he gets isolated and then arsed- he is a pathetic little weasel who is a dibby-dobbing little bastard with an agenda.
journos should be impartial- robbo is simply partially braindead
Robbo has the point as an AFL story, but not a Collingwood story. Seems like its not even close to 11, Robbo just speculated on the figure

Poor Robbo...

That's ALL he wants...to be one of the boys in the real AFL club, not the pretend journo one.

Reckon he'd cut off his left knacker if it would help.
The problem is, he's prepared to sell his, his mothers, your mothers soul to get that scoop, and he forgets they all know it.

Robbo has the point as an AFL story, but not a Collingwood story. Seems like its not even close to 11, Robbo just speculated on the figure
He was originally told 23. Then someone told him "nah, it's half that" and Robbo doesn't do fractions, so 11 it became. I wonder who told him 23, and why that number changed?

The problem is, he's prepared to sell his, his mothers, your mothers soul to get that scoop, and he forgets they all know it.

He even threw his beloved Bombers under the bus by being the only journalist that would name the 34.
He's spent so much time defending and protecting the bombers, but as soon as he had the names, boom time!
Absolute cretin of a bloke. But credit to them on the Jimmy Bartel story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back