Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt - returns from concussion/quad vs WCE w/ 28d & 2 last q goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Real shame, but we can see where this is going for the bump. With concussions taking players out for weeks and ending careers early, a 3x would be a min. Rocksucker will get at least 6 weeks. Dumb mistake im sure he regrets, but thats a steep penalty for something that was nothing more than a free kick not long ago.
"only a free kick not long ago" is a cheap argument.
Not long ago we didn't know the effect that these types of hits cause in the long term.

But it's a shame we don't use leaded petrol any more. We never had an issue with it in the 90s

Not long ago we didn't know the effect that these types of hits cause in the long term.

But it's a shame we don't use leaded petrol any more. We never had an issue with it in the 90s

You forgot asbestos

Im not saying a steep penalty isnt warranted, it is. Im suggesting we'll see numerous players make the mistake as they havent adjusted. Doesnt mean the rocksucker is a bad dude, heck we may well have our own make the similar errors of judgement.

Im not saying a steep penalty isnt warranted, it is. Im suggesting we'll see numerous players make the mistake as they havent adjusted. Doesnt mean the rocksucker is a bad dude, heck we may well have our own make the similar errors of judgement.
What he did was an unprovoked, unprofessional action. Players are accountable for what they do. Let's stamp these high bumps from the game.

The low-life got 7 weeks. Had hoped for at least 8, so now he'll be available to play against us in round 8, but no chance he'll be selected. Even the Saints aren't that stupid.

Apparently the Saints argued for a 4 week suspension. So much for being reasonable and copping it sweet.

Last edited:
I just appreciated how disappointed Jy is likely to be to not be leading the boys out after a massive summer and his statements about changing things for the club.
Thought I read someone saying LMac didn't exactly tear it up in the VFL match either, so looks like Larkey will be leading the boys out in round 1.

The low-life got 7 weeks. Had hoped for at least 8, so now he'll be available to play against us in round 8, but no chance he'll be selected. Even the Saints aren't that stupid.

Apparently the Saints argued for a 4 week suspension. So much for being reasonable and copping it sweet.
The fact they tried to argue that it was on par with SPP's ban is actually gross.

Thought I read someone saying LMac didn't exactly tear it up in the VFL match either, so looks like Larkey will be leading the boys out in round 1.

The fact they tried to argue that it was on par with SPP's ban is actually gross.
Hoping Simpkin can recover from this and unfortunately McDonald will play now shouldn’t but will so I will feel sorry for the player that will be forced out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever I think about Jy’s football ability is irrelevant in what I am about to say.

Jy is the Skip of our great football club. And what he copped on Sunday was nothing short of deliberate, A pre meditated plan to take his head off. Now whether that was drilled into the team by **** Sucking leadership group, or by coaches. That was 100% a deliberate and pre meditated action.

All the hoo ha from those utensil suckers is damage control.

Jy was cheeky as **** to em last year when he threw that young greek campaigners gps away, he was being a smart arse. Jy also burned em a few times on sunday and made them look like ****ing tools. Jy is really good evasively and has sharp movements. He ripped them on that boundary with a dont argue and made em look shit.

I really hope Jy is doin alright. He has been a fantastic leader of our footy club. I think those Aints utensil suckers should cop a chant “Cooooooooop Suuuuuuuuuckkkkers” would really drive it home that’s exactly what they are.

I tell ya what, that snipe from that utensil sucker was as filthy as it gets. Thats not a regulation “split second bump” that action deserved an all in Brawl. I reckon it probably would of been all in if the team wasn’t so young. That shit should never fly.

Last edited:
Whatever I think about Jy’s football ability is irrelevant in what I am about to say.

Jy is the Skip of our great football club. And what he copped on Sunday was nothing short of deliberate, A pre meditated plan to take his head off. Now whether that was drilled into the team by ************ leadership group, or by coaches. That was 100% a deliberate and pre meditated action.

All the hoo ha from those utensil suckers is damage control.

Jy was cheeky as * to em last year when he threw that young greek campaigners gps away, he was being a smart arse. Jy also burned em a few times on sunday and made them look like ******* tools. Jy is really good evasively and has sharp movements. He ripped them on that boundary with a dont argue and made em look s**t.

I really hope Jy is doin alright. He has been a fantastic leader of our footy club. I think those Aints utensil suckers should cop a chant “Cooooooooop Suuuuuuuuuckkkkers” would really drive it home that’s exactly what they are.

I tell ya what, that snipe from that utensil sucker was as filthy as it gets. Thats not a regulation “split second bump” that action deserved an all in Brawl. I reckon it probably would of been all in if the team wasn’t so young. That s**t should never fly.
All I’ve heard on the media all week is that it is out of character and he’s never been reported before.

Demi Brereton gave an update on Jy in the herald sun confidential today.

I can’t access it.

Anyone got access and can provide an update?

‘Nurse Demi’ helping her partner Roos skipper Jy Simpkin bounce back after horrible bump​

Demi Brereton, the partner of concussed North Melbourne co-captain Jy Simpkin, has provided an update on his health after he was flattened by St Kilda’s Jimmy Webster.

Demi Brereton, the partner of concussed North Melbourne co-captain Jy Simpkin, is helping to nurse him back to full health.
The model was watching the horrible situation unfold at home when Simpkin was knocked out by St Kilda’s Jimmy Webster last weekend.

On Thursday night she brought the style and glamour to the PayPal Melbourne Fashion Festival at the Royal Exhibition Building.

“He’s doing really well, I’m just being nurse Demi,’’ she said of Simpkin.

“Football is so unpredictable.”

Brereton is one of Melbourne’s most popular and marketable faces with the former Fashions on the Field winner a 2023 Melbourne Cup Carnival ambassador.

The pair have been together for nearly two years.

Personally, I was relieved to hear that she brought the style and glamour to the PayPal Melbourne Fashion Festival.

Phew. Thank goodness for that.
I kept reading her name as Dermi Brereton..

NORTH Melbourne is confident co-captain Jy Simpkin will make his return from another nasty concussion ahead of this Saturday's clash with Fremantle.

Simpkin made it through the Kangas' main training session on Tuesday morning and will need to be assessed further after another hitout on Thursday, though it's expected he will be made available for the game at Marvel Stadium.

It's a much-needed slice of good news for the club, after Simpkin sustained his third concussion in the space of just nine months following a nasty bump from St Kilda's Jimmy Webster in the AAMI Community Series.

TRIBUNAL
The verdict is in: Saint cops longest ban in years
Webster received a seven-game suspension for the bump that landed Simpkin in the AFL's concussion protocols on March 3.

00:57
Mar 3 2024
Simpkin ruled out after massive Webster bump
Jimmy Webster is set to come under scrutiny of the Match Review Offer for this hit on Jy Simpkin, ruling the Roos co-captain out of the game

North Melbourne had been cautious to put an exact timeframe on Simpkin's return, given the nature of the injury and the number of concussions he had sustained in the last year, though the club has been pleased with his recovery in recent days.

Simpkin was subbed out of last year's game with Essendon on June 4 after a clash of heads with Sam Durham, before he missed two weeks later in the year after suffering a delayed concussion from an incident against Geelong on July 9.

The Kangas will be forced into at least one other change from last week's season-opening defeat to the Giants, with young defender Josh Goater expected to be sidelined for an extended period after rupturing his Achilles.

Key forward Nick Larkey captained North Melbourne for last week's round one clash against Greater Western Sydney, with Simpkin and fellow co-skipper Luke McDonald (hamstring) both sidelined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back