Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he had another year on contract?

Am I wrong?

Where's delisting coming from?

I thought he had another year on contract?

Am I wrong?
Yes, but he is getting delisted so he can play at Port. Port can pick him up as a DFA. Hence our deal with them as well.

Pay him out?

Why? I trust in giantroo that it makes sense and that's ok.

Because we contracted him for a year longer than we want him. So rather than keep him, we give him the money he'd earn next year and send him on his way.

Because we contracted him for a year longer than we want him. So rather than keep him, we give him the money he'd earn next year and send him on his way.

Ok. I get that, thanks.

Is one list spot more important than paying out a best 22 (clearly at best, depth at worst) a good list strategy?

Just pay out all players if not performing? Ok.

We'll have to carry his 2018 salary in the cap calculation (no problem, given the space) and I assume we'll also be paying him out.

Ok mate.

Paying him out as we have the space to do it, that's easy.

What benefit is moving on LT now though? (when get nothing useful in return)

Other than a list spot, surely you keep a back-up (at worst) for salary like Swallow rather than just payout?

Just asking your opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok mate.

Other than a list spot, surely you keep a back-up (at worst) for salary like Swallow rather than just payout?

Gets a chance to play.

Won't be playing in our best 22 in 2018 and presumably Port have a spot for him.

Two clubs going in opposite directions. LT gets to go back to SA, play footy, contend for a premiership.

Ok mate.

Personally, I share your view - I'd keep him because there is a chance he'll recapture form, in which case he's best 22. At worst, he is good back-up and still enhances the club culture even if he plays VFL, by mentoring younger players.

My interpretation of the recent news (say, over the last week and all from Bigfooty) is that it seems the club are wanting to clear him out. Not really sure why, given it would probably cost us the same, cash-wise, as keeping him. Maybe Port will pay some if he goes there?

It's why I started the angst thread - it's getting harder to get a line on what the club's current strategy is.

Gets a chance to play.

Won't be playing in our best 22 in 2018 and presumably Port have a spot for him.

Two clubs going in opposite directions. LT gets to go back to SA, play footy, contend for a premiership.

Are you really saying that in 2018, LT is not best 22 at North, but might be at Port?

I'm not sure you've thought that all the way through.

Are you really saying that in 2018, LT is not best 22 at North, but might be at Port?

"best" 22 is a loose term.

We're clearly going to be trying different s**t for a whole year. While Thomas is a better footballer than guys like Zurhaar and Turner, those guys will probably get games over him.

He's going to P ort, presumably, to put a rocket up Wingard and allow Sam Gray to go back to the midfield. I don't know, I don't know why Port would offer him a contract if they didn't think he could contribute to their side in some meaningful way, and clearly if we are willing to delist him and let him go, we don't see him playing a role in our side in 2018.

He’d be in our best 22 for sure but he won’t be played ahead of the young players in that same position, also depends on whether he can get back to his best at Port which I believe he can.

"best" 22 is a loose term.

We're clearly going to be trying different s**t for a whole year. While Thomas is a better footballer than guys like Zurhaar and Turner, those guys will probably get games over him.

He's going to P ort, presumably, to put a rocket up Wingard and allow Sam Gray to go back to the midfield. I don't know, I don't know why Port would offer him a contract if they didn't think he could contribute to their side in some meaningful way, and clearly if we are willing to delist him and let him go, we don't see him playing a role in our side in 2018.

He’d be in our best 22 for sure but he won’t be played ahead of the young players in that same position, also depends on whether he can get back to his best at Port which I believe he can.

Yeah, you're both right of course. There's no other plausible explanation for this scenario (LT to Port).

I don't understand why we didn't send him to Port as part of our deal with them?

We could've paid his salary that way regardless and then Port wouldn't also have to negotiate a new contract??

What am I missing?

I don't understand why we didn't send him to Port as part of our deal with them?

We could've paid his salary that way regardless and then Port wouldn't also have to negotiate a new contract??

What am I missing?

May only be playing on at Port as a rookie depending on list spaces and their draft situation. They are still assessing their list.

Ok. I get that, thanks.

Is one list spot more important than paying out a best 22 (clearly at best, depth at worst) a good list strategy?

Just pay out all players if not performing? Ok.

Well it probably shows that North either:
A) Don't have faith in Thomas playing at his best anymore

OR

B) Have a (younger) replacement in the best 22 that they want to get games into

He is 30 years old next season. I wouldn't be surprised if both were true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back