Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

The saddest part for is Polecs is just another senior footballer at our cub that garners not much interest elsewhere. It would seem we can't even give him away.

It is why we won the spoon.

Senior players over 25 a contender would want: Goldstein, Cunnington and Corr, possibly. Two players, maybe 3.

People think I am harsh on Scotts, he drove the list into the ground.

Thankfully we have new recruiters, new developers, new coach and a really talented group of kids. I am hopeful we can turn things around in a big way but there is a lot of pressure now on the likes of Simpkin and the large group of 22-23 year olds to extract the digit, they need to take charge of their destiny, they need to lift the standard of their football and reduce the variance between highs and lows, need to be consistent players who play to their potential on a regular basis. Like how many shockers has Cunners put in during his entire career to date, it isn't every second week like a lot of his mates.

Last edited:
If we list the most one-sided left footers at North since 1990 I’m thinking Polec is a pretty good chance for top 3. I’d have Brett Allison and Shannon Grant pushing for the other two spots.
Anthony Stevens and Adam Simpson are others I naturally thought of, but both of them would use their right foot if they had to which rules them out of finishing on the podium.
Polec is able to execute brilliantly off his left foot to the point that it largely negates the lack of a right food. Using the ball isn’t his problem.

Senior players over 25 a contender would want: Goldstein, Cunnington and Corr, possibly. Two players, maybe 3.

Thankfully we have new recruiters, new developers, new coach and a really talented group of kids. I am hopeful we can turn things around in a big way but there is a lot of pressure now on the likes of Simpkin and the large group of 22-23 year olds to extract the digit, they need to take charge of their destiny, they need lift the standard of their football and reduce the variance between highs and lows, need to be consistent players who play to their potential on a regular basis. Like how many shockers has Cunners put in during his entire career to date, it isn't every second week like a lot of his mates.
I'd want Jed in any finals side. Same with Kayne Turner.

No point playing finals if you can't contest and compete for the ball. As * seem to find out regularly.

I'd want Jed in any finals side. Same with Kayne Turner.

No point playing finals if you can't contest and compete for the ball. As * seem to find out regularly.

I love Jed, but his tank is poor and he has been injury prone, he turns 28 in Feb and has played 85 games, with us at an average of 12.5 games a year. Successful finalists have senior players who stay on the park, it is a harsh reality but he would get passed over by any contender simply on the basis that physically he isn't reliable, regardless of his ability to perform.

As much as I love Jed and hope he can turn it around and stay on the park, he is contracted to the end of next year, if enough kids step up he is likely going to get the Dumont and Atley treatment, if they don't step up he will likely only be offered a one year deal and we will have bigger issues if enough of our high quality mids do not step up by the end of 2023.

That isn't a slight on Jed or his ability, we have some crazy good young midfield talent and I expect them to get up to speed sooner rather than later.

I love Jed, but his tank is poor and he has been injury prone, he turns 28 in Feb and has played 85 games, with us at an average of 12.5 games a year. Successful finalists have senior players who stay on the park, it is a harsh reality but he would get passed over by any contender simply on the basis that physically he isn't reliable, regardless of his ability to perform.

As much as I love Jed and hope he can turn it around and stay on the park, he is contracted to the end of next year, if enough kids step up he is likely going to get the Dumont and Atley treatment, if they don't step up he will likely only be offered a one year deal and we will have bigger issues if enough of our high quality mids do not step up by the end of 2023.

That isn't a slight on Jed or his ability, we have some crazy good young midfield talent and I expect them to get up to speed sooner rather than later.
I'd still want him in any finals side. He is one of the hardest players in the comp.

I'd still want him in any finals side. He is one of the hardest players in the comp.

We all do, but what we want or desire doesn't make a difference in the end, Garner could play footy too and everyone wanted him to have some luck with his body, it just didn't work out for him and he had no real competition for his spot, we don't really have an abundance of good small/medium forwards.

Jed's competition is:
Simpkin (23) R1 pick 12 (2016)
LDU (22) R1 pick 4 (2017)
Thomas (21) R1 pick 8 (2018)
Phillips (19) R1 pick 3 (2020)
Powell (19) R1 pick 13 (2020)
soon to be JHF (18) R1 pick 1 (2021)
Stephenson (22) R1 pick 6 (2017)

Scott (21) R3 pick 49 F/S (2018)
Lazzaro (19) R2 pick 36 (2020)
Mahony (19) R2 pick 34 (2019)
Taylor (21) R3 pick 46 (2018)

That first tier is Jed's problem, going to be 7 young 18-23 tier 1 mids who went pick 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 and 13 in their respective drafts, we pushed Higgins who was a very good midfielder out of the way for Thomas and LDU and both saw significant improvement in their game this year.

Anderson and Cunners are going to play a critical role in transforming the boys into men in their remaining time with us, however long it is, but I think supporters should be realistic with their expectations, when those kids are good to go even Cunners will make make way for them. It is just part of the natural evolution, players like Swallow, etc made way for the current old timers and before them Simpson, etc made way for Swallow, Cunners, etc. The only way you can write your own ticket is while you are still performing and even someone like Goldy, who is performing, is pretty much on borrowed time with the acquisition of CCJ.

We all do, but what we want or desire doesn't make a difference in the end, Garner could play footy too and everyone wanted him to have some luck with his body, it just didn't work out for him and he had no real competition for his spot, we don't really have an abundance of good small/medium forwards.

Jed's competition is:
Simpkin (23) R1 pick 12 (2016)
LDU (22) R1 pick 4 (2017)
Thomas (21) R1 pick 8 (2018)
Phillips (19) R1 pick 3 (2020)
Powell (19) R1 pick 13 (2020)
soon to be JHF (18) R1 pick 1 (2021)
Stephenson (22) R1 pick 6 (2017)

Scott (21) R3 pick 49 F/S (2018)
Lazzaro (19) R2 pick 36 (2020)
Mahony (19) R2 pick 34 (2019)
Taylor (21) R3 pick 46 (2018)

That first tier is Jed's problem, going to be 7 young 18-23 tier 1 mids who went pick 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 and 13 in their respective drafts, we pushed Higgins who was a very good midfielder out of the way for Thomas and LDU and both saw significant improvement in their game this year.

Anderson and Cunners are going to play a critical role in transforming the boys into men in their remaining time with us, however long it is, but I think supporters should be realistic with their expectations, when those kids are good to go even Cunners will make make way for them. It is just part of the natural evolution, players like Swallow, etc made way for the current old timers and before them Simpson, etc made way for Swallow, Cunners, etc. The only way you can write your own ticket is while you are still performing and even someone like Goldy, who is performing, is pretty much on borrowed time with the acquisition of CCJ.
I generally agree, but Spitta was cooked.

if Jed doesn't play most of next year then we'll probably let him go. He's only had three productive seasons so far. But at the start of the year Noble was talking him up for the leadership group. If he can be a productive forward as well as playing thru the midfield then he will probably be around for another year or two after that (at least depending on his form.) It just depends on how quickly Jy, Thomas and Phillips (and Horny frank) can develop the hardness they need cover him and Cunners. I dunno if anyone else will be able to bring that... maybe Mahony actually.

LDU is a gun but he has had similar issues to Jed re getting on the park. This year is the first time he's played 20 games. Early days yet but Jy and Tarryn had both played 20+ games in two of their first three seasons. Sleevo the Hipster played 26 games (every H&A game and all four possible finals,) in his first year but hasn't played that many since. In the two years following he only played 28 games in total but was close enough to 20 this year. Hopefully LDU's body is reliable enough from here on in.

Personally I'd say it will be at least three seasons before we can rely on the younger guys onfield (2018 onward with the exception of TT). By then Cunners will be gone or in his last year and Jed won't be far behind. BUt we don't know how resilient or good the young fellas will end up being yet. Phillips looked okay, played 16 games this year and was out of position. Powell ... who knows. He is so talented but had a major hip operation before being drafted and had hip issues this year. Lazz has potential but I dunno how tough he is.

Whatever happens it will be an enjoyable ride.

I generally agree, but Spitta was cooked.

He was cooked, the Achilles injury ruined his career, his last three seasons he played 49 games, 10 more than Jed has played the last three years with us, and I would bet it was a considerable amount more of time on ground as well.

if Jed doesn't play most of next year then we'll probably let him go. He's only had three productive seasons so far. But at the start of the year Noble was talking him up for the leadership group. If he can be a productive forward as well as playing thru the midfield then he will probably be around for another year or two after that (at least depending on his form.) It just depends on how quickly Jy, Thomas and Phillips (and Horny frank) can develop the hardness they need cover him and Cunners. I dunno if anyone else will be able to bring that... maybe Mahony actually.

Yeah, nobody has a crystal ball so we don't know who is going to step up and who isn't or what role the coach has for different players. I hope he has a cracking season and he can play into his mid 30s but there are a lot of challenges ahead for him. I think he is extremely important for us in the short-term, at least, how long he has is really up to him and more importantly luck in avoiding injury problems. But if our young midfield talent get remotely close to their potential it is really going to be hard for a lot of running players to get game time through the middle in the future.

LDU is a gun but he has had similar issues to Jed re getting on the park. This year is the first time he's played 20 games. Early days yet but Jy and Tarryn had both played 20+ games in two of their first three seasons. Sleevo the Hipster played 26 games (every H&A game and all four possible finals,) in his first year but hasn't played that many since. In the two years following he only played 28 games in total but was close enough to 20 this year. Hopefully LDU's body is reliable enough from here on in.

For sure, kids have a lot more issues coming up to speed, but I think the club was aware LDU had a very high ceiling but would take more time to potentially reach it, I don't think where he is at is unexpected. In the next year or two I think there would be a much higher level of expectation in terms of taking his game to the next level. There is a big difference having growing pains when you are 21/22 and when you are having issues staying on the field at 27/28. I think there would be a much higher level of pessimism if LDU was 27/28 and was still in the current boat, and rightfully so.

Personally I'd say it will be at least three seasons before we can rely on the younger guys onfield (2018 onward with the exception of TT). By then Cunners will be gone or in his last year and Jed won't be far behind. BUt we don't know how resilient or good the young fellas will end up being yet. Phillips looked okay, played 16 games this year and was out of position. Powell ... who knows. He is so talented but had a major hip operation before being drafted and had hip issues this year. Lazz has potential but I dunno how tough he is.

Whatever happens it will be an enjoyable ride.

Yeah, who knows. I definitely do not have a crystal ball and can't predict what happens, I think I have been fairly close to the mark in terms of predicting how the club would respond with various players. Now and then someone like Hall make a significant shift in the way they play and that is a pleasant outcome, if I have any negative views it is not because that is what I want to happen, it is just experience in terms of how things typically play out, I am always hopeful things do not pan out as it does and outside of unfortunate luck with injuries, players have the power to significantly change the direction their career is going if they aggressively take charge of where it is going.

I hope it works out for Jed, but in part... if he isn't pushed out before then I guess I will be a bit disappointed in some of the young guys, if you can't push out an injury prone 28 or 29 year old out of the side then either Jed has a miraculous second wind or the side is going to be disappointing if all those prime talent mids aren't stepping up.

Jed is a gun tho. Especially compared to the guys we've let go over the last two years. Some kicking issues sometimes, but they aren't necessarily as bad as people make out. His ability to influence a contest and win the ball is much better than Dumont's. He wins contest, drives turnovers and starts scoring chains. And he makes the opposition think about it. Causing hesitation in your opponents is really valuable.

His biggest issue, ie with his tank, is probably connected to the pneumonia that nearly killed him. That will probably never be fixed. Injuries are next.

I think the best replacement for him will be JHF. Who looks like being a deadly weapon in about three or four years. He's already tough as nails.

Wilmot seems to have a bit of campaigner about him too so if we get him there's another player who can bring that pain onfield eventually.

Jed is a gun tho. Especially compared to the guys we've let go over the last two years. Some kicking issues sometimes, but they aren't necessarily as bad as people make out. His ability to influence a contest and win the ball is much better than Dumont's. He wins contest, drives turnovers and starts scoring chains. And he makes the opposition think about it. Causing hesitation in your opponents is really valuable.

His biggest issue, ie with his tank, is probably connected to the pneumonia that nearly killed him. That will probably never be fixed. Injuries are next.
He was ranked 443rd in the comp for disposal efficiency. His kicking issues are real and recurring ferbs.

Thankfully we have new recruiters, new developers, new coach and a really talented group of kids. I am hopeful we can turn things around in a big way but there is a lot of pressure now on the likes of Simpkin and the large group of 22-23 year olds to extract the digit, they need to take charge of their destiny, they need to lift the standard of their football and reduce the variance between highs and lows, need to be consistent players who play to their potential on a regular basis. Like how many shockers has Cunners put in during his entire career to date, it isn't every second week like a lot of his mates.

Yes , yes it is . And yes , yes they would want two or three others beyond those you listed. I would like to think by the end of season2023 there'd be plenty more they'd want.

It took our savior Sir Noble to acknowledge my angst, your angst and plenty of other NMFC peoples angst. He did they by way of getting rid of 19 players plus some rookies. And then the medical staff and a few other coaches and hangers-on

I would love to know the actual employee changes not including players?

We can now rest easy in the knowledge that NMFC footballers will be held to account. At days end and those that like Scott need to realise one thing about him, he did not strive for NMFC to be a successful sporting organisation.

I do feel for Polecs, but yeah you'd want to be pretty good to be 29 and on the NMFC list currently. Recent history tells us those thereabouts are move on.

He was ranked 443rd in the comp for disposal efficiency. His kicking issues are real and recurring ferbs.
This year. He had a poor year tho after injury. The year before he was ranked about 5 spots below Jy and the year before that at about 180 in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is an inside midfielder, his job is to do the grunt work, which he does, and I'm sure he knows. As long as the others come along, I'm sure he'll be fine for a few years yet.

Polec will play this year at some point.

McDonald we consider a walk up start on a wing, who yes is more versatile and better defensively, but not in a fit Polec's league offensively.

If he played for us tomorrow an oppo team would sit someone on him throughout the game. You couldn't leave him open kicking inside 50.
Not sure too many others in our team would command that attention.

Damning that no club wants polec for free

There’s nothing damning about it at all, he’s committed to our rookie list. It’s also a misconception he’s free just because we’ve got money in on him, do you think he’s going to just walk to another club for minimum wage?

There’s plenty of players that have been shifted to clubs rookie lists, I don’t think it’s damning on any of them that other clubs are honouring clubs using the delist and rookie system.

There’s nothing damning about it at all, he’s committed to our rookie list. It’s also a misconception he’s free just because we’ve got money in on him, do you think he’s going to just walk to another club for minimum wage?

There’s plenty of players that have been shifted to clubs rookie lists, I don’t think it’s damning on any of them that other clubs are honouring clubs using the delist and rookie system.

If Polec contract is on 400k and another club picks him up then only pays him 300k - do we need to top the other 100k up

If Polec contract is on 400k and another club picks him up then only pays him 300k - do we need to top the other 100k up
Probably - players sometimes move clubs with the original club covering some of the salary.

I think he has effectively been given, another chance. (Great deduction sherlock!) A massive opportunity to regain his 2019 form.

He was arguably one of the most dangerous players around goal in 2019. It seemed like every time he got it, s**t happens. (Second half of the year that is.)

2020 was following that trend too. That Carlton game was one of his best games for the club in a weird way considering the controversy behind it.

In 2021, I feel like we did the same thing that happened early-2019. Gave it to him when clearly he wasn't the right option. Also seemed really unfit and didn't have enough upper-body strength. Needs to improve his conditioning and who the hell knows?

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a great year or a s**t one. It's ultimately whether we can extract anything whilst he still has the body to do so. If not, oh well.

He's a unique one because there's absolutely no catastrophic impact if he doesn't fire.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back