Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

1) I lose a fair bit of respect for any player that plays the go home factor unless there’s something his family needs him for.

2) Went home to Adelaide after playing the go home card only to leave for a bigger contract.

3) Got to North under a previous footy department which fell apart. When the new coach took over he was given a role to tag Cripps and was vocal about not wanting to do that and put in a half arsed effort, then when released from tagging role went on to be just about BOG.

Shaw might’ve got point 3 wrong but Polec showed he’s not a team player. Basically the opposite of a Shinboner. Imagine that happening under Pagan? He would’ve never pulled on the jumper again.

Hes a good player with top shelf skills but can’t find a home at 3 clubs, imo he should have a think about why that is and the law of averages would suggest the issue is his.
I think Pagan rated as a tough cockroach is a little overrated when he played Adrian McAdam for over a season who was scared of he's own shadow. This selection I feel cost the team dearly in the "94" season.

I think Pagan rated as a tough cockroach is a little overrated when he played Adrian McAdam for over a season who was scared of he's own shadow. This selection I feel cost the team dearly in the "94" season.

Hard to argue with that, but if the reports are true, Polec voiced his role of tagger infront of the whole team at the quarter time huddle. No way Denis puts up with that

Whether it‘s my age, my gender, my values or the end of lockdown, I read the first part of that post and just thought “so he’s reached a happy point in his life and his football job isn’t the most important thing to him, that’s nice”. If he’s looking ahead and working on an exit strategy, from being headhunted and well paid for a career move that hasn’t worked out as he thought, he’s not the first or last to be in that position and good luck to him.

His done what he had to do to set his family up, can’t be pissed at him for that. We’d all do the same if we had the chance of an offer like that over X amount of years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wont happen, we'll carry him to full term.
AFL doesn't have a big history when it comes to paying out players early.
Let alone the players North has kept on in recent years where there was no chance in them playing again.

There was always a chance jacobs could’ve kept playing if what they tried with multiple different test and procedures, worked for him but unfortunately it didn’t. So now he’s stuck with it for life or until he finds a cure. As a club and “employer” we needed to look after him and his welfare and that’s exactly what they done. Least he was at a point where he could live his life again when he left the club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wing. We trialled a lot of players on it last year, and the majority of them either play better in other positions or are relatively young and raw. Dumont going aids Polec in that respect, and Ats leaving probably does too considering a few of the players trialled on the wing were primarily defenders.

If we are going to let Dumont go to insert Polec I’d be disappointed. Would rather Bailey Scott was given the opportunity to make the wing his own.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Majak went down for one year to focus on his court case, it probably would have been political suicide to play him with that allegation over his head. Jacobs was put down as a rookie, from memory, nobody who has been demoted to the rookie list (other than Majak for off-field reasons) has ever made it back to the senior list. It is usually the step before being delisted, it just shows how hard it is to turn things around when your confidence is shot, been some kids with a lot of skill demoted but it has produced doughnuts and not of the tasty variety.

I think if the club is half-pushing a player out the door we should probably do it with more conviction and just go for the full thrust. Polec isn't making his way back, I mean, I still think he has value when he focuses on hitting targets rather than blazing away, it is a similar issue with Dumont, you draft a whole bunch of early first round midfielders, you have to play them.

I've seen North teams with more raw talent, I can't recall the 70s or 90s era sides having as much raw midfield talent as we do now. It is a bit unfortunate for anyone who is in or around the midfield, but you would want to be playing your career best form as a 28+ year old if you don't want to be in peril.

This is my main concern for McDonald, especially if he doesn't return to the back line next year. It was my main issue against moving Atley from half-forward to plug some short-term gaps whilst he was playing good footy at half-forward, it can leave your career in limbo, or peril.
Might want to reconsider some of your wording in the initial sentence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might want to reconsider some of your wording in the initial sentence.

What, political suicide? Weird, didn't dawn on me until you mentioned it, it wasn't a pun to make fun of his mental health issues at the time. Anyway, don't quote something you think might offend and think someone should possibly change, defeats the purpose of me going back and changing my post if you quote it.

If we list the most one-sided left footers at North since 1990 I’m thinking Polec is a pretty good chance for top 3. I’d have Brett Allison and Shannon Grant pushing for the other two spots.
Anthony Stevens and Adam Simpson are others I naturally thought of, but both of them would use their right foot if they had to which rules them out of finishing on the podium.

On Pagan, he was paraphrased by Tim Watson as weighing up player "traits" against their ability.

So he was willing to bring in a player with known defects into the team if their other attributes balanced it off.

He pestered Archer and McKernan to keep playing as youngsters despite their disinterest because he saw the ability.

He clearly turned a blind eye on the 'hard as nails' bit when McAdam and Allison were so productive for him offensively.

A bit harsh in my opinion. McAdam played his role to a tee at the time, but unfortunately when Carey and Longmire got injured he was also expected to fill in for their role, which he clearly wasn't physically capable of. He also wasn't helped by umpires who continually ignored him being scragged.

If we list the most one-sided left footers at North since 1990 I’m thinking Polec is a pretty good chance for top 3. I’d have Brett Allison and Shannon Grant pushing for the other two spots.
Anthony Stevens and Adam Simpson are others I naturally thought of, but both of them would use their right foot if they had to which rules them out of finishing on the podium.
:thumbsu: Jess Sinclair likes this

Id rather they fight it out and the club rewards good form and fitness

Suspect there will be plenty of young blokes fighting for a spot on the wing, with LMac on one wing then there's only one spot available to fight for.

But yeah, all players should have competition for their place in the side.

The saddest part for is Polecs is just another senior footballer at our cub that garners not much interest elsewhere. It would seem we can't even give him away.
Just proves they shouldn't get another one when they come up for contract.
We're in rebuild mode for a reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back