Past #13. Leigh Adams - coached SthCroydon to '17 flag - 18-19 COburg VFL coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Draft reaps rewards
Justine McCullagh-Beasy
Monday November 27, 2006

Dean Kelly kicked six goals in the TAC Cup grand final, Nathan Batsanis won the Oakleigh Chargers best and fairest, while Leigh Adams won All-Australian honours, yet all three failed to whet the appetite of recruiters come draft day.
Leigh Adams underwent hip surgery this season, which dampened his chances of being drafted despite the Vic Metro captain’s credentials. The onballer, who averaged 24 disposals a game, won All-Australian selection due to his goal sense and hunger for the football.

Essendon and the Kangaroos have already earmarked Adams and both clubs have invited him to train with them in the lead up to the Rookie Draft. Adams has decided to head down to Windy Hill in a bid to keep his AFL dream alive.
Leigh Adams underwent hip surgery this season, which dampened his chances of being drafted despite the Vic Metro captain’s credentials. The onballer, who averaged 24 disposals a game, won All-Australian selection due to his goal sense and hunger for the football.

Player profile
Leigh Adams
Fast Facts
Jumper No: 40
Height: 176.4
Weight: 78.6
DOB: 06/04/1988
Recruited From: Eastern Ranges

Prolific ball winner who captained Vic Metro in NAB AFL U18 Championships to title, winning All-Australian honours (Ave 24 disposals per match). Quick, tough, a fine leader and clever around goals. NAB MVP Player for Vic Metro at NAB AFL U18 Championships. From Woori-Yallock F.C.
Essendon and the Kangaroos have already earmarked Adams and both clubs have invited him to train with them in the lead up to the Rookie Draft. Adams has decided to head down to Windy Hill in a bid to keep his AFL dream alive.

Re: Leigh Adams Elevated and In

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.realfooty.com.au/kangaro...74926-9lz.html

Kangaroos promote rookie Leigh Adams

April 26, 2007 - 1:36PM

Kangaroos teenager Leigh Adams has been promoted to the club's senior list and will make his AFL debut against Geelong on Sunday.

Coach Dean Laidley said the 19-year-old Adams' form in the VFL with Tasmania had been very good.

"It's pleasing for us, I think we've played 27 players now and four or five new ones and I think all the new guys we've brought in have shown some real promise," Laidley said.

"It's exciting from the club's point of view and I'm sure it's exciting from Leigh's point of view."

Last year, Adams captained Vic Metro to its third straight national under-18 championship and was named the team's most valuable player.

A hip injury disrupted his draft camp and he was not selected at the 2006 national draft, instead being picked up by the Kangaroos as a rookie.

Described as a "hard and aggressive player with a good kick" in the AFL media guide, the 176cm, 79kg, Adams was listed as Tasmania's best player in last week's VFL loss to North Ballarat.

Adams is the second rookie-listed player to be elevated at the Kangaroos this year after Matt Campbell, who was upgraded last month.

The pair replace Nathan Thompson (knee) and Leigh Harding (knee), who have been placed on the long-term injury list.
2006 NAB AFL UNDER 18 CHAMPIONSHIPS - ALL-AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: Patrick Veszpremi (Vic M), Nathan Brown (Vic C), Mitch Thorp (TAS)

HB: David Armitage (QLD), Lachlan Hansen (Vic C), Ricky Petterd (QLD)

C: Daniel Connors (Vic C), Garry Moss (WA), Shaun Grigg (Vic C)

HF: Leroy Jetta (WA), Scott Gumbleton (WA), Daniel Dzufer (QLD)

F: Tom Hislop (TAS), Tom Hawkins (Vic M), Tom Hurley (SA)

Foll: Matthew Leuenberger (WA), Bryce Gibbs (SA), Leigh Adams (Vic M)

I/C: Craig Bird (NSW/ACT), Nathan Djerrkura (NT), Jarryd Allen (Vic M), Robert Eddy (Vic C)

Coach: David Dickson - Victoria Metropolitan

Assistant coach: Craig McRae - Queensland

Lachlan Hansen - Victoria Country - 195cm, 92kg, Gippsland Power/Nar Nar Goon
Tall defender, Hansen is very quick and courageous. He is excellent with his strong marking and aggressive spoiling. Received heavy knock in game two and courageously bounced back to play in the final match in a key defensive role.

Leigh Adams - Victoria Metropolitan, 176cm, 83kg, Eastern Ranges/Woori Yallock
Small midfielder, Adams can play run-with rolls in the midfield or as a small forward. He is quick and reads the game well, while he averaged 24 disposals per match. He captained the Vic Metro side.

BENDIGO 1.2 4.7 7.11 11.14.80
TASMANIA 6.3 9.6 14.11 16.14.110
Result: TASMANIA won by 30 points.
Venue: Windy Hill Crowd: TBC

goal kickers
BENDIGO:
M. Bolton 3, C. Johns 3, S. Gumbleton 2, S. Rosa, S. Camporeale, S. Lonergan

TASMANIA:
K. Hall 2, C. Thurley 2, A. Derbyshire 2, B. Moran 2, L. Adams 2, B. Ross 2, M. Westfield, S. McMahon, B. Warren, T. Goldstein

best players
BENDIGO:
S. Gumbleton, D. Chartres, J. Flaherty, R. Dyson, B. Jolley, A. Lee

TASMANIA:
B. Ross, S. Stephens, B. Geappen, S. McMahon, B. Careless, K. Hall

Re: Leigh Adams

Damn playing catch up son?

Maaaate ,I didnt offer to do his report but when he was put on the list I thought it was the least somebody should do !!!

Young Roo hops into the big league
27 April 2007 Herald-Sun
Gareth Trickey

PERSISTENCE has paid off for Kangaroos rookie Leigh Adams.

Adams
Kid gloves off: Kangaroos rookie Leigh Adams will make his AFL debut against Geelong on Sunday. Picture: Michael Dodge
The 176cm midfielder and forward will make his AFL debut on Sunday after he was initially overlooked in last year's AFL draft.

Adams was told of his selection for Sunday's game against the Cats yesterday morning.

The news is recognition of Adams' consistent form in the VFL.

"I guess that sort of dogged style of play is probably the main thing I can bring into the side," Adams said.

"I'm anticipating playing up forward and might get a few stints in the midfield.

"I'm not too nervous at the moment about playing but as the game gets a little closer, I'll probably start to get a little nervous."

Memories of an injury-plagued year in the TAC Cup and the uncertainty surrounding his football career have spurred Adams on during the pre-season.

The former Vic Metro captain won the NAB AFL under-18 championship's most valuable player last year before a hip injury ended his run with TAC Cup side Eastern Ranges.

Adams' said his hopes of an AFL career began to fade after he missed last year's draft camp because of surgery to repair torn cartilage in his hip.

Sure enough, selectors passed up on taking Adams in the November draft, leaving the 18-year-old to roll the dice in December's rookie draft.

Fortunately, the Kangaroos saw promise in the injured Adams, taking him at No. 3.

"I only played about eight games for the whole of last year, so I sort of thought I might be overlooked in the draft," Adams said.

"Then I was lucky enough to get picked up by the Roos and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

"Hopefully by the end of this year I can cement a spot in the side."

Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley said the addition of Adams into the Kangaroos' young playing line-up held exciting prospects for both the club and Adams.

"I think all the new guys that we've brought in have showed some real promise," Laidley said.

player

Leigh Adams, KAN
k4
h6
p10
m1
ho0
t 4
ff1
fa 0
g0
b0
74% tog
80%eff
cont poss 6
uncont poss 4
clearances 1
clangers 0
assist 1

Cannot give written report as only saw replay 1/2 game beer assisted will give later after viewing foxtel
Missed the foxtel replay but from memory really happy with his debut ,held the ball in well in the ff and 10 pos with 6 cont pos basically playing as a half forward was a great debut.Will look forward to seeing him rotated into the middle in the future.

6/10

5943.jpg

player k h p m ho t ff fa g b

Leigh Adams, KAN 4 6 10 1 0 4 1 0 0 0

from champion data

74% tog
80%eff
cont poss 6
uncont poss 4
clearances 1
clangers 0
assist 1

Cannot give written report as only saw replay 1/2 game beer assisted will give later after viewing foxtel

To the naked eye I thought his possessions were high quality and to advantage

Joy for the Adams family
2 hours, 28 minutes ago | Back

By Michael Tormey, for The Kangaroos

News Text
A LITTLE over an hour after the final siren had gone to signal the end of his first AFL game, and long after some of his teammates were showered, changed and on their way out of Skilled Stadium, Leigh Adams was still in full match attire, wearing a grin from ear to ear. He looked like a young man who just didn't want this day to end.

And who could blame him? He'd just played his part in a hard fought 16-point away-from-home victory in front of a massive tribe of family and friends, so why wouldn't he want to string it out a little.

"There was a big mob down here today so I had a tough week organising tickets, but it was well worth it," Adams said in the rooms after the game. "It was awesome on Thursday morning when Dean called me into his office to say I'd got a game, but I didn't actually realise how much work I had to do to get everyone a ticket."

The former Victorian Under 18 captain said he was "over the moon" with the ideal start to his career with the Kangaroos, and was especially pleased for the guys who had played in all of the Roos' five games this year, including the club's first three losses.

"For me personally, to come in and have a win like that first up is a dream come true. But even better, from a team perspective, it's great to get a win because we worked so hard over the pre-season and those first couple of losses were really tough to take.

"So to get a couple of wins like we've had in the past two weeks have been great reward for the boys."

The gritty midfielder spent a little under three quarters of the game on the ground, picking up 10 possessions, of which six were contested. However what the stats won't tell you is how hard Adams attacked every contest, no small matter when you consider it was just his fourth game in senior company.

"The three games I played in the VFL with Tasmania are the only games I've played in senior footy, so that's been great experience for me. It was good to test myself against the mature bodies before I played for the Kangaroos so I'd say that was a really good grounding.

"But you notice how much of a step up it is to play in the seniors. A few of the boys said during the week that you've just got to get rid of the ball really quickly so I tried to concentrate on doing that.

"That's probably the main difference between here and the VFL – you've just got to move the ball on quickly or you get crunched."

Adams said the advice given to him by his senior teammates proved invaluable in the lead up to his first game, and paid particular tribute to Brent Harvey for spending so much time with him since his arrival at the club.

"After each of my Tassie games I sit down with Boomer and we go through the video of my game together and he gives me some pointers. That's been a great learning experience. "Then today, when I was up forward, Shagga (Shannon Grant) was really good out on the ground – actually all the guys in the forward line were great in telling me where to go and helping me concentrate so I was pretty thankful for that."

But as much as studying his game from week to week will remain a big priority for the recently elevated rookie, there is one area of his football he knows he will have to address as soon as possible – knowing all the words to the Kangaroos' team song.

"I must admit I struggled at the start but I was OK once we got to the chorus. But if I can keep my spot I reckon I'll know it pretty well by the end of the year."

Stats for Nth vs SwansADAMS,Leigh
Kicks
1 2 3 4 T
1 0 0 0 1
Handballs
1 2 3 4 T
0 0 1 1 2
Marks
1 2 3 4 T
1 0 0 0 1
Frees
For Ag
0 3
Tackles
Score
G B
0 0
TOG% 46 %
eff% 67 %
cont pos 1
un cont 2
i 50 0
clearance 0
clangers 0

Adams didnt have much game time and did not appear to have as much influence on the Swans game as his debut.I struggled to notice him on the ground , didnt make any glaring errors either , worth another crack unless the team structure demands .

Last night had a look at the replay on fox in between family duties .
Was impressed with leigh he presented well on hard leads but was spoiled and was hard at the contested ball with 2nd and 3rd efforts .From limited time!

He did not get the contested ball stats that he did last week , but a lot to like about his efforts .A mate at his tac club said he is fast, look at his sprint times from the draft camp .I have not had the time to check but sound promising.

Well worth keeping in the side .

4/10

Re: VFL Today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 TRUenergy VFL Seniors
Werribee 9.6 15.7 23.10 31.14 (200)
Tasmania 3.3 6.6 10.10 12.14 (86)

GOALS:
Werribee: Podsiadly 6 Robbins 6 Skipper 4 Lynch 3 Batchelor 2 Hill 2 Power 2 Minson 2 Faulkner Young Castello Howard
Tasmania: Derbyshire 6 Ross Thurley Ryan McMahon Hansen Goldstein

BEST:
Werribee: Gleeson Furfaro Robbins Minson Rockefeller Power
Tasmania: Adams Geappen Brown Moran Ross Derbyshire

A pathetic, uncompetitive Devils were belted and humiliated to the tune of 114 points by Werribee, 31.14 (200) to 12.14 (86).

When asked if the players were hurting after the game, Cresswell said: "No, I don't believe they are.

"There is no passion, there is no spirit, none at all and no one is creating it. For example, Luke Shackleton was fighting three Werribee players on his own and no one was doing anything about it.

Full-forward Derbyshire finished with six in his best return, while Geappen, Leigh Adams and Clinton Brown were the only other Devils to offer resistance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Leigh Adams vfl

16.12-108 Tasmania 1:10 PM
Sat 19/May

Bellerive Oval
def. by
22.11-143 Coburg Tigers
Tasmania
Goal Kickers: A. Derbyshire 7, J. Ryan 3, B. Ross 2, B. Geappen, K. Hall, N. Street, J. Armstrong
Best Players: T. Collier, B. Careless, M. Westfield, B. Geappen, N. Street, J. Ryan
Coburg Tigers
Goal Kickers: K. Kingsley 5, J. Mullins 3, M. White 2, J. Gazzo 2, J. Riewoldt 2, C. Hughes 2, A. Neville, P. Shelton, A. Graham, F. Caruso, T. Casserly, D. Rayson
Best Players: A. Neville, J. Gazzo, T. Ronaldson, P. Shelton, M. White, J. Riewoldt

no mention of Adams

Re: Leigh Adams vfl

He didn't play. No idea why. Perhaps he was taken to the Gold Coast as an emergency?

Good night back at the Palladium room where it should always be. Bought the 96 Premiership piece which looks great and my mate purchased a Clint Eastwood signed framed piece which was very nice. Sad to hear Leigh Adams broke his thumb will be out for 8 to 10 weeks as per Dean.

that was a report from the cocktail party , terrible news for the boy.

Re: Leigh Adams back from inj

Round 11 SCORES TEAMS TIME/VENUE
15.11-101 Northern Bullants 2:00 PM
Sun 24/Jun

Preston City Oval
def.
8.12-60 Tasmania
Northern Bullants

Goal Kickers: J. Houlihan 6, R. Young 2, J. Kennedy 2, D. Boundy 2, C. Flint, P. Colbert, S. Jacobs
Best Players: A. Hartlett, J. Kennedy, J. Houlihan, R. Young, M. Austin, L. Blackwell

Tasmania
Goal Kickers: J. Ling 3, K. Hall, G. Sharman, J. Howard, B. Johnson, L. Adams
Best Players: L. Adams, B. Johnson, K. Hall, B. Moran, S. McMahon, B. McDonald

Re: Leigh Adams back from inj

Round 11 SCORES TEAMS TIME/VENUE
15.11-101 Northern Bullants 2:00 PM
Sun 24/Jun

Preston City Oval
def.
8.12-60 Tasmania
Northern Bullants

Goal Kickers: J. Houlihan 6, R. Young 2, J. Kennedy 2, D. Boundy 2, C. Flint, P. Colbert, S. Jacobs
Best Players: A. Hartlett, J. Kennedy, J. Houlihan, R. Young, M. Austin, L. Blackwell

Tasmania
Goal Kickers: J. Ling 3, K. Hall, G. Sharman, J. Howard, B. Johnson, L. Adams
Best Players: L. Adams, B. Johnson, K. Hall, B. Moran, S. McMahon, B. McDonald

On some sites Leigh Adams is still on the injured list, is this our L Adams or do they have two playing for them?

Box Hill Hawks 3.2 6.4 8.6 12.9 (81)
Tasmania 4.4 8.7 12.9 16.11 (107)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Little 4 Dowler 2 Muston Shore Crook Renouf Murphy Gibson
Tasmania: Moles 4 Hansen 3 Cox 2 Adams 2 Ross McDonald Hall Goldstein Cornelius

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Little Height Breese Dawson Tuck Muston
Tasmania: Adams Geappen Moles Long Hansen Richter

Box Hill Hawks 3.2 6.4 8.6 12.9 (81)
Tasmania 4.4 8.7 12.9 16.11 (107)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Little 4 Dowler 2 Muston Shore Crook Renouf Murphy Gibson
Tasmania: Moles 4 Hansen 3 Cox 2 Adams 2 Ross McDonald Hall Goldstein Cornelius

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Little Height Breese Dawson Tuck Muston
Tasmania: Adams Geappen Moles Long Hansen Richter

Good to see the boys have a win and Adams and Hansen in the best. Thanks for the news TR.

Thanks to Roolander

Re: Elevate Adams

Adams has already been elevated , this is an article from a few weeks ago.

CLUB LIST CHANGES
Monday, June 25th, 2007 at 11:53 amBY BRAD KLIBANSKY

CARLTON, Fremantle, the Kangaroos and West Coast have made altercations to their respective playing lists due to long term injuries.

The Kangaroos have re-instated Leigh Harding from the long-term injury list, returning Leigh Adams to the rookie list.

Kangaroos have placed Josh Gibson on the long-term injury list, upgrading Leigh Adams as his replacement.

10.12-72 Tasmania 1:10 PM
Sat 21/Jul

Bellerive Oval
def. by
24.7-151 Frankston
Tasmania
Goal Kickers: L. Hansen 2, P. Koulouriotis 2, S. Fielding 2, B. Moles 2, A. Derbyshire, A. Gilmour
Best Players: L. Hansen, B. Moles, S. Fielding, L. Adams, P. Koulouriotis, R. Long
Frankston
Goal Kickers: M. Marigliani 6, R. Morris 5, B. Dore 5, C. Oliver 2, N. Benbow 2, T. Dickson 2, J. Magner, L. Clark
Best Players: M. Marigliani, R. Morris, S. Pollard, B. Dore, J. Magner, D. Clarke

JAMES BRESNEHAN

July 30, 2007 12:00am
A 20-goal second half by North Ballarat sent the Tasmanian Devils crashing to their third triple-figure defeat of the VFL season in another Jekyll and Hyde performance at Aurora Stadium yesterday.

The Devils were told to get uncomfortable and to come in at half-time feeling sick from an exhaustive workrate.

They achieved that, playing inspired football despite a four-point deficit at half-time.

And having led by one point two minutes into the third quarter, the Devils were outscored 20 goals to three by the boys from Ballarat.

That second-half effort also left the Devils feeling uncomfortable and sick as they trudged off 24.22 (166) to 8.9 (57) losers.

Disappointed Devils coach Daryn Cresswell said the willingness to run and put pressure on in the second half was poles apart from the first half.

"The problem is now obvious," he said.

"We're not fit enough. We're miles away from other teams in terms of fitness and it's really showing in the second half of games.

One positive was the form of bigman Brad Moran.

If the Kangaroos are looking for a tall player for AFL duties, then Moran could be their man.

The big blond was super in the ruck and up forward and generally around the ground.

8.9-57 Tasmania 9:50 AM
Sun 29/Jul

Aurora Stadium
def. by
24.22-166 North Ballarat
Tasmania
Goal Kickers: A. Derbyshire 2, B. Moran 2, J. Bowden, K. Hall, T. Goldstein, B. Moles
Best Players: B. Moran, N. Street, S. Stephens, K. Richter, R. Long, J. Bowden
North Ballarat
Goal Kickers: L. Thomas 4, J. Spolding 3, E. Lower 3, B. Hughes 3, C. Urch 2, M. Campbell 2, D. Chester 2, R. Gregg 2, M. Riggio, O. Stephenson, T. Cartledge

Best Players: E. Lower, L. Thomas, S. Clifton, D. Chester, B. Goodes, M. Riggio

"We don't train together enough and that makes it really hard to develop any real continuity," he said.

Ten of the Devils' squad were Kangaroos from the other side of the partial alliance with the Shinboners.

The loss of top midfielders Paul Koulouriotis (hamstring) and Leigh Adams (suspected fractured arm) and goalkicker Brodie Moles, restricted by a knee complaint and eventually benched, brought the Devils' midfield to a standstill.

Round 18 SCORES TEAMS TIME/VENUE
8.5-53 Tasmania 2:00 PM
Sat 11/Aug

Bellerive Oval
def. by
16.18-114 Casey Scorpions
Tasmania
Goal Kickers: K. Hall 2, J. Bowden, B. Ross, L. Adams, L. Brown, T. Bellchambers, B. Geappen

Best Players: B. Geappen, L. Adams, N. Street, A. Joseph, B. Careless, T. Goldstein

Casey Scorpions
Goal Kickers: F. Watts 7, B. Voss 2, B. Brooks, D. Armitage, J. Wall, B. Fraser, C. Dunne, S. Harrison, K. Matthews

Best Players: B. Voss, T. Makepeace, B. Brooks, K. Matthews, F. Watts, J. Gwilt

Adams must be close to a game in the firsts !!!!
Tasmania 3.2 6.3 8.4 14.7 (91)
Coburg Tigers 7.4 15.6 22.8 24.10 (154)

GOALS:
Tasmania: Derbyshire 3 Howard 3 Adams 3 Fielding Grima Hall Fagan Cornelius
Coburg Tigers: Schulz 9 Bowden 3 Krakouer 2 Hughes 2 Hyde 2 Shelton Caruso Ronaldson Neville Gazzo White

BEST:
Tasmania: Adams Stephens Geappen Goldstein Hansen Street
Coburg Tigers: Schulz Neville Oakley-Nicholls Carnell Bowden Moore

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Tasmania: Nil
Coburg Tigers: Ni

Adams best on again, might find it hard to get back into the seniors though. Good to see the Todd follow up a good game last week getting in the bests again, as well as Hansen who apparently had a shocker last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back