Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

the discussion of speed V acceleration is interesting one though - two blokes who aren't the fastest ie distance covered over time come to mind: Pendlebury and in our case SPS - appear to have all the time in the world in congestion - because they have THE gift in congestion and that is heaps of acceleration...they are able to shift their real and perceived change in speed over small distances very often and very quickly...

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Acceleration is useful but not a necessity. In modern congested footy a lot of players just use strength after winning the ball to take the tackle, get arms free and give it off. Some have a good side step and that adds to it and others have acceleration which is useful if given a bit of space. I don't think it's too important if you use what you have to gather it cleanly and can take the pressure and get rid of it effectively, there are a number of ways a player can do this effectively. Clean hands is the common denominator and then it's about how well a player uses what they have, generally it's a combination of things such as speed, strength, instinct, agility.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I mean I can link the same gif... Doc is one of the quickest off the mark, agile and strongest players over the ball in our team, especially when tackling. I think hes best suited to stay in the backline, but he has never lacked the traits you listed... he just doesnt need to use them too often as he generally has a lot of space to work with. After 2 ACL's I'd rather just see him come back and work with newman to set things up coming out of defense and find someone who would complement Cripps more in the middle. Don't think those two would work as well together as most would think, both very ball dominant and work better when they are going after the ball themselves instead of helping others get it

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Think I saw someone post Liams stats on the weekend.. 20 touches and a goal playing midfield? Can anyone who was there give some insight to how he went?

Would be happy to give him full-time VFL midfield minutes leading into pre-season then absolutely flog him to get his tank up to scratch. Keep him eligible for the RS next year and we can win the award two years in a row whilst Cripps collects his 2nd Brownlow :)

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
So now that Adelaide have totally crapped the bed and Stocker is just part of an interesting trade rather than some huge disaster.... how’s he doing? Looking forward to seeing more of him. I guess a lot more running this offseason to work on the tank?

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I mean I can link the same gif... Doc is one of the quickest off the mark, agile and strongest players over the ball in our team, especially when tackling. I think hes best suited to stay in the backline, but he has never lacked the traits you listed... he just doesnt need to use them too often as he generally has a lot of space to work with. After 2 ACL's I'd rather just see him come back and work with newman to set things up coming out of defense and find someone who would complement Cripps more in the middle. Don't think those two would work as well together as most would think, both very ball dominant and work better when they are going after the ball themselves instead of helping others get it
He's not that quick off the mark or agile.
He has good straight line speed which is why he is able to dash off HB.
I doubt he would have turned too many people inside out by changing direction.
Love the Doc

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
So I had a few beers recently with someone who works in the strength and conditioning department and is also in charge (part of) of player minutes for the Northern Blues. Safe to say once I found this out, I grilled him on a lot of players...

He was extremely glowing about Liam. "He will make it" was the first thing uttered. Said he is a terrific and popular player, really respectful and just a brilliant competitor. Tough as. Really wants to be better and learn and said it won't be too long before he is no longer having to work out his minutes for the NB's.

:thumbsu:

Feb 8, 2012
Publican Baghdad Ritz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
So I had a few beers recently with someone who works in the strength and conditioning department and is also in charge (part of) of player minutes for the Northern Blues. Safe to say once I found this out, I grilled him on a lot of players...

He was extremely glowing about Liam. "He will make it" was the first thing uttered. Said he is a terrific and popular player, really respectful and just a brilliant competitor. Tough as. Really wants to be better and learn and said it won't be too long before he is no longer having to work out his minutes for the NB's.

:thumbsu:
s**t hot kitchen..

LIAM STOCKER will remain at Ikon Park for at least the next three years after signing a new deal with the Club. The 19-year-old has put pen to paper on a two-year contract extension that will see him in the Navy Blue until at least the end of 2022.

“It’s great that the Club believes in me, I am loving my time in the Navy Blue and am really excited to be part of what we are building here,” “I am just focused on becoming the best player I can possibly be for this football club and doing everything I can to makes us successful over the next three seasons.”

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Re-signs for another 2 years!

Re-Signing-1024x576-Stocker-Polo.jpg