Past #13: Ryan Clarke - officially traded to Sydney in exchange for #61 in 2018 ND - thanks Clarkey

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you re Swallow, Gibson and Mullet (assuming sarcasm) they are all washed up hacks. However, Clarke needs to do more for mine. His kicking is suspect and if you watch his tackle pressure closely its not great. not saying he doesn't have a future, i think he'll come good in time, but for now he's not a walk up start
Rubbish call regarding Fishy he's been great since mid/late last year

not a rubbish call at all. he's a nothing player. prefer Hansen any day
different type of players.
fishy has been really good since about rnd 18 last year.

Rubbish call regarding Fishy he's been great since mid/late last year
Great? Geez, that's generous. He's been decent since he's come back into the side last year and I thought he was quite good yesterday. I would say that he's still ranked somewhere between 18-25 at the club, on a power rankings type of thing basis.

not a rubbish call at all. he's a nothing player. prefer Hansen any day
Completely different players. Not sure you've noticed, but this year since Mullett has been playing our movement out of defence has been so much better since he's been taking kick outs. Also, his defending has improved immensely since he was last in the team. Looks composed in the contest and is holding his feet.

Great? Geez, that's generous. He's been decent since he's come back into the side last year and I thought he was quite good yesterday. I would say that he's still ranked somewhere between 18-25 at the club, on a power rankings type of thing basis.
OK but on a scale from "washed up hack" to "been playing great", he's a lot close to the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly there is an issue with his application defensively. It is obvious that he is a great ball hunter and has no problem running end to end so it must be that his ball hunting is a bit blinkered and he leaves holes defensively. That's ok. He will work it out and smash it when he gets back in.

Clearly there is an issue with his application defensively. It is obvious that he is a great ball hunter and has no problem running end to end so it must be that his ball hunting is a bit blinkered and he leaves holes defensively. That's ok. He will work it out and smash it when he gets back in.
The thing is though, would you rather a guy like Clarke who can rack up the pill at will and be an effective offensive weapon but who might have defensive deficiencies or someone like Swallow who is good defensively and structurally, but who offers very little going forward these days?

Perhaps I'm over-simplifying it (in fact, I'm certain that I am) and it's important to have a balance of different types, but I would have thought that with the current state of our list we could allow someone like Clarke to learn those defensive duties in the seniors and make use of his attacking talents.

Last edited:
The thing is though, would you rather a guy like Clarke who can rack up the pill at will and be an effective offensive weapon but who might have defensive deficiencies or someone like Swallow who is good defensively and structurally, but who offers very little going forward these days?

Perhaps I'm over-simplifying it (in fact, I'm certain, that I am) and it's important to have a balance of different types, but I would have thought that with the current state of our list we could allow someone like Clarke to learn those defensive duties in the seniors and make use of his attacking talents.
It comes down to winning over development. Swallow is in the side for what I m sure are various reasons, one of which is likely his ability to understand what he has to do to keep within structures. This tells me that the club is trying to strike a balance between development and success. Whilst we a 0-4 I think we believe that we are not yet at the throw the kids in stage. TBH I reckon at 0-5 we may as well.

Perhaps I'm over-simplifying it (in fact, I'm certain, that I am) and it's important to have a balance of different types, but I would have thought that with the current state of our list we could allow someone like Clarke to learn those defensive duties in the seniors and make use of his attacking talents.

Yep, im of the same opinion.

He is the accumulator that should do his defensive apprenticeship in the seniors when we are 0-4. Having guys like Clarke out is why we are running out of legs in last quarters...

It comes down to winning over development. Swallow is in the side for what I m sure are various reasons, one of which is likely his ability to understand what he has to do to keep within structures. This tells me that the club is trying to strike a balance between development and success. Whilst we a 0-4 I think we believe that we are not yet at the throw the kids in stage. TBH I reckon at 0-5 we may as well.
Yeah, I personally think we're at that stage already. I don't see much difference between 0-4, 1-4 or 0-5, but I agree with your point about the winning vs development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back