Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said that we're relying on Dal Santo at all. I merely stated what he brings to the table. To my mind, the people we really rely on are Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington & Wells. These are the guys who dictate how we go. When their intensity is up, Dal and everybody else comes into play. Dal Santo is the added class on top of the grunt work. Of course, Wells is a special case - he's both sublime class and grunt!

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that (although you rate NDS higher than I do, I think he's near finished), but I think you did imply we are relying on NDS in with the statement "if we manage to keep up our intensity for the remainder of the season, Dal Santo's work will take us to the next level".

I think we have multiple more important players than NDS that can achieve that. Starting with a fit and firing Goldstein, Higgins' return and class, and fit half back flankers that can actually do the job.

Last edited:
Dal Santo has been huge for us in the finals and while i think he is almost finished up there is no doubt in my mind how important he will be when we play that first final.

His possessions are becoming less impactful but 30 possessions to him is 30 possessions the opposition dont get and he is a pretty good deliverer of the ball inside 50.

Hes an excellent centre square midfielder. He Cunnington and Wells make a formidable partnership with Goldstein.
The issue is he chooses which games to rock up to these days.
If he rocks up in September thats fine but he needs to show every week not when it matters.

Take Wells out replace with a developing Ryan Clarke and and have Wells play wherever he wants or is needed on game day.

Wasn't that long ago we lost games 5 goals up with 5 minutes to go. Since injecting dal and higgins into our side thats ended. They have a great understanding of what each will do and its often dals prefered relief kick to the running higgins on the wing. Higgins ball use and goal kicking accuracy is a big part of our current jigsaw thats missing.

Wasn't that long ago we lost games 5 goals up with 5 minutes to go. Since injecting dal and higgins into our side thats ended. They have a great understanding of what each will do and its often dals prefered relief kick to the running higgins on the wing. Higgins ball use and goal kicking accuracy is a big part of our current jigsaw thats missing.
I think the word your looking for is 'experience'

I'll admit Dal was good on the weekend and could be important in the finals with his experience.
Playing for his career now and he knows it.

I've said the same thing more than once IRL.

We were the team that couldn't hold a lead, added Dal and Tudor, and suddenly became the team that never lost a lead. I think in 2014 we didn't lose a game when leading at 1/2 or 3/4 time. Vs Collingwood last year is the only one that sticks out in my memory as an exception (and WC in the prelim, but that was a bit different).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slick 'link player' but does nothing damaging with it. Defensive liaibility, along with our pedestrian inside mids.

Time to go Dal. Thanks for the contribution you've made to helping the team mature in '14/'15.

He is so soft. Tho he wasnt recruited in 2013 to do the grunt work though. He basically came to us to perform a role and he is doing that.
If I had faith in the rest of the team Id keep him on for 2017 but at this point in time to achieve what?

Should be dropped for not meeting team standards by going when his turn, but of course won't be.

His cheap out the back soft touches are no longer damaging due to his pace and skills declining, and he's a dead set liability everywhere else.

Absolutely must not be offered an extension. Thank him for his services and move on.

Should be dropped for not meeting team standards by going when his turn, but of course won't be.

His cheap out the back soft touches are no longer damaging due to his pace and skills declining, and he's a dead set liability everywhere else.

Absolutely must not be offered an extension. Thank him for his services and move on.

Has had a couple of good games this year I won't deny that.

But I think his reputation of being a great kick carries through quite a bit. Yeh he's stylish but as many are pointing out does little damage or worse still actively avoids contact some contests.

It's hardly like he's lost a yard but drills 65 metre Shannon Hurn passes to teammate's chests when he does get it.

Nicky Dals weapon is his kicking. Other than that, he has zippo going for him as an AFL footballer. So why the hell is he so obsessed with handballing? Why? Why? Why?
Surely he can't go on next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back