Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

The supremest of ironies is that what Ahern did yesterday was exactly the same thing MacMillan was doing early in the season, with the exception that Jamie provided a significantly BETTER defensive presence.

This is double standards GOLD.
The irony of this post, one is a ten game player the other is our vice captain.

I’d hope we’d be applying double standards.

The reality is that while his defensive game was useless (and he wasn't the only one) his ball use off the backline was at times sublime. There were some kicks he made that basically found the only place WC hadn't set up to defend. And I'm talking about an area a metre or two square out of the entire back flank. Unfortunately in that position he has to defend effectively or those beautiful kicks will be a waste.

I thought he was useless in the first half and significantly better in the second but our backline was terrible. I dunno if that's all down to him but he didn't help it.

But i guess the season is done and probably was before yesterday - the team are cooked and the footy department probably knew it. So I can understand Shaw trying things like this and putting it on someone like Pauly to learn from a s**t performances like that.

We all know that Ahern is a very good player with ball in hand but im far more interested to see how he progresses without the ball. It will make or break his career. No club can carry a guy who can't chase, run defensively or tackle.

Hawthorn played Sam Mitchell and he was a defensive deadweight.

Criticise Ahern all you want, he had more impact than our senior mids.

Yes, a quick glance of Willie Rioli's stats is a testament to that fact.

The supremest of ironies is that what Ahern did yesterday was exactly the same thing MacMillan was doing early in the season, with the exception that Jamie provided a significantly BETTER defensive presence.

This is double standards GOLD.

Heaps better defensive pressure and nothing like that level of ball use. Macmillan doesn't have the vision or the kicking skill of Ahern.

This year he looks lost imo. Last year he didn't. Also this year he played better defensive footy in his first game or two for us when he was in the midfield. I dunno.

In his defense - everyone was off their game yesterday as well and he was in an unfamiliar position that exposed his greatest weaknesses so if he was as off his game as everyone else then his biggest weaknesses will be magnified.

Hawthorn played Sam Mitchell and he was a defensive deadweight.
It'd be nice if Ahern turned out as good as Mitchell. Highly probable that he doesn’t. It would also be nice if Ahern was surrounded by players as good and as competitive as Mitchell was. Again, highly probable that he won't be.

Regardless he coasts defensively. He needs to get fit, sharp, strong and hungry. I want him to be the best player he can be for North.

It'd be nice if Ahern turned out as good as Mitchell. Highly probable that he doesn’t. It would also be nice if Ahern was surrounded by players as good and as competitive as Mitchell was. Again, highly probable that he won't be.

Regardless he coasts defensively. He needs to get fit, sharp, strong and hungry. I want him to be the best player he can be for North.

It's not his problem that he isn't surrounded by stars. That's on the club
And other players themselves.

He does not appear to be defensively minded, which is blatantly apparent when you watch him live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not his problem that he isn't surrounded by stars. That's on the club
And other players themselves.

He does not appear to be defensively minded, which is blatantly apparent when you watch him live.
No reason to rest on his laurels. Id be better if surrounded by better players ain't going to go down to well at his end of year review.

EVW, Thompson, Mai, LMac , Murphy... Someone’s gotta play down back.

If we can get games into a good young player where they learn the game against the reining premiers and improve when we have no chance of making finals, while covering for injured players, then why not play them there?

Good on him for having a fair old crack at it and doing pretty well considering how comprehensively our midfield was beaten. Good signs.

Heaps better defensive pressure and nothing like that level of ball use. Macmillan doesn't have the vision or the kicking skill of Ahern.

This year he looks lost imo. Last year he didn't. Also this year he played better defensive footy in his first game or two for us when he was in the midfield. I dunno.

In his defense - everyone was off their game yesterday as well and he was in an unfamiliar position that exposed his greatest weaknesses so if he was as off his game as everyone else then his biggest weaknesses will be magnified.
Just put he and TT on the HBFs next year and be done with it..
Ahern with the simple task of just beating his man.
Let the rest take care of itself.

I've been down on his defensive capabilities before, but I actually like the move down back for him. The defensive side of his game was pretty poor on the weekend, but for a bloke who probably just had his first game as a defender in his entire life I'm willing to give him some time to get better. Ironically enough, in the modern AFL I think the backline is where you can hide players who are the weakest defensively. If Caleb Daniel can play Half Back, then there's no reason why Paul Ahern can't.

Hopefully they'll persist with him down back, as I don't see any other way we can play him in the side.

I've been down on his defensive capabilities before, but I actually like the move down back for him. The defensive side of his game was pretty poor on the weekend, but for a bloke who probably just had his first game as a defender in his entire life I'm willing to give him some time to get better. Ironically enough, in the modern AFL I think the backline is where you can hide players who are the weakest defensively. If Caleb Daniel can play Half Back, then there's no reason why Paul Ahern can't.

Hopefully they'll persist with him down back, as I don't see any other way we can play him in the side.
Maybe the coaching staff are looking at throwing him in the deep end to build the defensive side of his game down back for a while at AFL level rather than in the 2s :think:
Obviously that wasn't the best on the weekend, but offensively he took to the role quite well I thought (all things considered). Used it well more often than not, and looked quite composed back there. Happy to have him see out the year in that role and see how he tracks - why not? It's not like we're making finals, so why not throw the magnets around a bit to see what happens.
#learningexercise

I think he's too special of a clearance player to stay down there, but at least he's getting exposure at the level. Would probably swap Higgins' and his roles from Round 1 next year.

You would both be good judges.

Ahern exhibited the physical dexterity of a soggy rice bubble, and put in the best "coasting" performance I have seen in some time.

His direct opponents were responsible for at least 6 WCE goals, and his pathetic attempt at tackling Darling in the 1st quarter, which led to another goal, would have had the resident MacMillanphobes foaming blood from all orifices, yet it has barely raised an eyebrow in here.

I was pretty filthy about that Darling goal, Durdin held him up for so damn long (did a hell of lot right against a bad matchup in that encounter) and then Ahern let the chance to end it slip. Was also absolutely filthy about one of the others too when he pussy footed on the spot instead of going for one of the small forward's (Ryan?) hips. Commentators were calling that one of the goals of the year and I was just mad.

That said I do think his intensity lifted as the game went on (positioning was pretty abhorrent the whole night however), and his earlier shoddy disposal also settled and he started being a lot cleaner with the ball. He still has miles to go with the defensive side of his game, and any lessons he can learn back there will help him in the middle but will he learn those lessons? That's my main concern going forward with him in ANY position.

I'm guessing the coaches are trying to make the best of a bad situation. We were another defender down and the cupboard was pretty bare. I'll be interested to see if he's selected in any position when Scooter is back. Missed him and Silver terribly yesterday. Scooter would have enabled Taz and Durdin to have better games and Lmac has his faults but he's become a great lock down player.

Got votes in The Age Footballer of the year. Fifth best,7 votes. Not sure myself but there you go.

Disposal count is an awfully over rated stat, especially for defenders. People see that number first and foremost and correlate it with a good game. The ability to find the ball is an important stat, but knowing what to do with it AND actually completing your main role is arguably more important.

I would like them to teach Ahern to play that quarterback role where he plays loose and sets up the play . Unfortunately the midfield is overloaded due to many similar players at the club. We really need some effective ball users to bring the ball from the backline.

Might sound counter intuitive but Im not sure about learning defensive skills by playing half back unless they see him in that position long term.....my preference would be to get him tagging in the midfield.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back