Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

We better start getting games into young full backs this year. Not sure how much longer Thompsons body will hold up for.

Tarrant is our full back. We need better competitors to support Tarrant, one-on-one both Thompson and Hansen have been underwhelming when playing on KPFs.

Thompson himself escaped criticism for a long time due to his AA a few years ago. He has been very average for the last two years

I'm not sure many defenders would appreciate our awful mid defensive running (outside Gibbo and JMac) in recent years.

Hopefully that changes this year, and yes, if Thommo's position is under threat by younger guys for a spot then great.

Last edited:
Tarrant is our full back. We need better competitors to support Tarrant, one-on-one both Thompson and Hansen have been underwhelming when playing on KPFs.
I would rather see tarrant up the ground and a defensive stopper at fullback personally

I would rather see tarrant up the ground and a defensive stopper at fullback personally

Further up the ground? I am not sure I prescribe to the theory of moving players who are playing well and dominant in their position to anywhere else on the ground. We already have a lot of problems, we don't need to invent new ones.

Further up the ground? I am not sure I prescribe to the theory of moving players who are playing well and dominant in their position to anywhere else on the ground. We already have a lot of problems, we don't need to invent new ones.
You are a wise man.

I've supported Thommo in his recent average seasons, but hard to defend off performances like yesterday.

He might deserve a stint in the 2s.

Would also serve as a stark reminder to all players that we're serious about this reset and that no one's spot is safe.

Last edited:
He is 100% utterly cooked.

No argument against it.

Some of his efforts against Kennedy yesterday were laughable.

At one point he literally jogged away from him to mark 30m out.

Shouldnt play another game until we are certain he is 100% fit. Even then its debatable.

He has had a severely interrupted pre season and was off of it yesterday.

Why we persist with players who are not 100% is beyond me, especially as we have younger players who have shown a bit with a full pre season under their belts.

Probably would of been the same result if Durdin or VW played but at least we get games into youngsters and not just flogging lame older guys

2248923420_66e4559e54_b.jpg

He is 100% utterly cooked.

No argument against it.

Some of his efforts against Kennedy yesterday were laughable.

At one point he literally jogged away from him to mark 30m out.

Shouldnt play another game until we are certain he is 100% fit. Even then its debatable.

I remember that one well. Thommo just couldn't or didn't chase - zero effort. Looked bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goes the niggle when he's doing badly.

He's being playing dirty for 2 years now.

Says all you really need to know.

Seems to have dropped a few footy IQ points and can't read the flight as well as he used to, on top of everything else. Liability and I can't see him coming back from this form after so long. Let a kid make mistakes instead, at least they could learn from them.

Being consistently out-bodied by Menzel says it all.

Lachie looks like a Brownlow medallist next to Scotty.
Lachy was outstanding today. If he let through a goal he saved atleast 6 in the same vain.
Thompson has been average since 2014 and past it and offers nothing as a key defender.
To be beaten by Menzel? Writings on the wall.
His shot on goal in the last was equally as poor. Durdin in. We aint losing anything without Thompson there now. Heaven forbid Tarrant gets a proper chopout rather than a flopping teammate.

Thompson needs to pack it in and retire.

Can't run, can't defend, can't mark, can't do a hell of a lot.

Time to see if Durdin will make it or not. Take the pain for some long term gain.

If we have so much cash then Steven May should be made a massive offer.
Lets be honest here peeps, Thompson has punched out of his weight class for many years, and its wrong to expect him to do it in his twilight years the club needs to support him now, allow him to take responsibility of the 3rd forward ( small or big ) it doesnt matter. EVW or Durds must come in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back