Past #17: Mitchell Hibberd - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Mitch

Remove this Banner Ad

His work in the occasional clearance situation was good, his large frame was more than useful on a number of occasions.
Its this 'big body' feature that i think sets him apart from others - in my mind he needs to be tried in the midfield on a more permanent basis.

Its probably just me but he seemed to move like a young Josh Kennedy (Swans variety) - appears to be slowish in movement but effective and the body size means that big bodied midfielder should be his go.

At the HH Clinic he was handling the tackle bag (hell, I just realised that sounds like he was spotted at a VD clinic handling his nether region) encouraging the kids to smash in. He was excellent with the kids and my daughter was chuffed to see him warming up on the Etihad surface having had such a fun time belting into the bag he held last week.

He's a ripper young bloke and, as often happens when you meet players and they impress you as people, I truly hope he can kick on.

At the HH Clinic he was handling the tackle bag (hell, I just realised that sounds like he was spotted at a VD clinic handling his nether region) encouraging the kids to smash in. He was excellent with the kids and my daughter was chuffed to see him warming up on the Etihad surface having had such a fun time belting into the bag he held last week.

He's a ripper young bloke and, as often happens when you meet players and they impress you as people, I truly hope he can kick on.
Great to hear. I've never met him but I've always heard excellent reports. Humble, friendly and like LMac really chuffed to be playing with North. I hope he succeeds too and put the injury woes behind him.

I did see in the video a boy tackled the bag and carried it all the way to the goal square. Hopefully hibberd signed him up as the tackling coach this pre-season. We can pay him in choggy milk.

Gone for the year.

North Melbourne can confirm the season is over for Mitchell Hibberd and Ben Jacobs.

Hibberd will require surgery after injuring his shoulder against Port Adelaide on Saturday.

“Mitch was involved in a marking contest in the first quarter and extended his arm over his head in an attempt to spoil the ball,” North doctor Peter Baquie told NMFC.com.au.

“His arm was awkwardly sandwiched between two players. Upon assessing his shoulder on the bench, we immediately ruled him out of action for the remainder of the game and knew the outcome after scans would be unfavourable.”

The 20-year-old will miss the next four to six months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Mullett being put on the table I think there is high hopes that Hibberd will be that setup player across half back along with McMillan.

He started to show some really good signs at AFL level before his injury. Really hope he can have a huge pre-season, get some strength in those shoulders and cement a spot from round 1 next year.

The one thing we really haven't seen from him at AFL level is his intercept marking which is really solid at VFL level. With a bit of continuity he is a player who I think has a high ceiling. If he works on his strength and his decision making, he could be an anchor across half back/wing.

Long way to go but I'm positive about this kid.

With Mullett being put on the table I think there is high hopes that Hibberd will be that setup player across half back along with McMillan.

He started to show some really good signs at AFL level before his injury. Really hope he can have a huge pre-season, get some strength in those shoulders and cement a spot from round 1 next year.

The one thing we really haven't seen from him at AFL level is his intercept marking which is really solid at VFL level. With a bit of continuity he is a player who I think has a high ceiling. If he works on his strength and his decision making, he could be an anchor across half back/wing.

Long way to go but I'm positive about this kid.
Mullet looks much better than Hibberd at the same time in their development.

Mullet looks much better than Hibberd at the same time in their development.

Looks or looked? They are at different stages now.

If you mean in the first two years, yes Mullett looked better by the end of year two. But he hasn't improved. I suspect Mitch will improve and easily overtake him, probably next season.

I like Fishy but he's turned into a limited footballer despite his 2nd season suggesting he might be something special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back